Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nariza7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
With the new macbook air 11/i7/8, the mouse pointer from using my trackpad seems to be laggy/erratic.

For instance, I would play a 720p movie for maybe an hour. Then when I pause and do other things, the mouse pointer doesnt move smoothly. It seems to move like it is catching up to where it should be. Kind of like jittering. Scrolling up and down pages is fine, but moving the mouse pointer isn't.

This doesnt happen too often, but it does happen enough times for me to notice. Does this happen to others? I would have one safari window open, itunes open, a folder with the movie file open, and the movie in the background. My activity monitor shows % user around .6 - 1.0, % System around 10%, % idle around 89%. The process that is listed as kernel_task is around 37% CPU with 82 threads. There are like 4-5 processes that constantly change between 1-3%, and the rest are all under 1% CPU.

One way to resolve this is to make it sleep or restart. Is there some other way to solve this?

Oh by the way, I am on a Dell 2440L 1080p 24in monitor with my mac air screen at its dimmest setting. Pretty much just using it on external monitor. Could this be the reason for the mouse pointer lag?

henriksn

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
I have the same problem with my brand new retina MBP 2,8 ghz 8gb ram - did you find a fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.