Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
There is always a chance that this battery is destined for a 5S that will fill in the low end of the three model lineup. Has anyone measured it to see if it will fit in a 5S sized phone. For a company that has constantly been pushing battery life on their laptop lines I am surprised they haven't been pushing it with each generation on the phones also. Instead they increase the CPU speed when the cpu speed increase isn't even useful with todays apps

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
How on earth are you ending up needing to charge it during the day? If you start the day at 100% you need to use it insanely much, or with some really power hungry or really poor optimised apps with very high brightness on the screen for it not lasting through the day?

I for one charge it overnight, and then I will mostly end up having 30-60% when I end up going to bed depending on my usage and whether I had to use it in bright light so the display had to run at 100% brightness for a long period of time. I have yet to be able to go from 100% to under 10% no matter how much I use the phone during the day.

It's possible. The guy at my work always needs to charge his baterry. However, he streams music all day long.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The headline is misleading. It should state Wh for people to be able to compare immediately.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think we're all forgetting that because Apple controls both hardware and software tightly, they don't need a huge margin in terms of battery size, since both can be optimized for best power consumption. In fact, I see the iPhone 6 (4.7") to have way longer battery life per charge than the iPhone 5S.

MizuNoHane

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
How on earth are you ending up needing to charge it during the day? If you start the day at 100% you need to use it insanely much, or with some really power hungry or really poor optimised apps with very high brightness on the screen for it not lasting through the day?

I for one charge it overnight, and then I will mostly end up having 30-60% when I end up going to bed depending on my usage and whether I had to use it in bright light so the display had to run at 100% brightness for a long period of time. I have yet to be able to go from 100% to under 10% no matter how much I use the phone during the day.

I work in a low-signal area, which is a large building with extremely poor cellular reception. When I turn off all radios except wifi on Airplane Mode, my iPhone survives A Day. That's it. When I leave the cellular radio on, my phone is dead by 7PM, no questions asked. All I do on the phone during this time is text, and I can barely do that because of my job anyway. I get that it's easy to say "Oh lack of cell signal drains the battery so much faster" and that's true, but getting a total of 3.5 use hours during the day before it craps out is really, really bad. And then when you consider that my friend working with me in that building, in the same spot, has a GS5 on AT&T and somehow manages to eke 2 days from it, goes to show that
1. The thought of having a large-capacity battery isn't something to just be brushed off with a lot of pshawing and saying things like "Software optimizations!", and
2. Not everyone has the same use experiences.
It would be wonderful to see Apple release a phone with a great SoC, a great screen AND a great big battery. I don't think it would be unreasonable for anyone to want for all of these things.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

You must not play any games on your phone, or use CPU/Graphics intensive apps. If all I did on my iPhone was have email notifications, have 40 minutes of phone calls, and check my calendar every few hours then I'd go to bed with 40% left too. But I don't. And my phone usually needs a charge by 4-7pm depending on what I did. If I felt like playing 30 minutes of games before going to work. You bet I better charge my phone on the way to work to make up for that lost battery.

That sucks...it just means I'll be buying a max boost battery case. I have that now with my 5S and I had it with my 5.

I really wish rather than making it super thin...they'd offer a bigger battery.

I know this may not be something you're considering. But since the case likely adds a lot of bulk, you might want to consider just getting the 5.5" iPhone. With a ~3000mAH battery it's going to last a very long time. It'll be similar to the galaxy note series which definitely lasts more than a day.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007

How on earth could people have usage needs and usage patterns dissimilar to yours?!

The battery in my 5 is garbage. I've had to have it replaced twice already, and it's starting to shut off at about 15% again now. Do I use my phone a lot? Yes, because that's what the device is designed for. To be used.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I think we're all forgetting that because Apple controls both hardware and software tightly, they don't need a huge margin in terms of battery size, since both can be optimized for best power consumption. In fact, I see the iPhone 6 (4.7") to have way longer battery life per charge than the iPhone 5S.

No.

iPhone 5S: 1,550mAH battery; 4.0 inch screen.
iPhone 6: 1800mAH battery; 4.7 inch screen

1800mAH is about 16% more capacity than 1,550mAH
4.7 inch screen is about 14% bigger than 4.0 inch screen.

A8-Processor: Maybe 5% more efficient (real life effect).

End result: Same overall battery life performance (IMO), about 7% better than the 5S.

The 5.5" model on the other hand is going to have hours more battery per charge.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I think we're all forgetting that because Apple controls both hardware and software tightly, they don't need a huge margin in terms of battery size, since both can be optimized for best power consumption.

OR… pair that unique optimization with a bigger battery to deliver best of all worlds.

People keep trying to spin lack of a competitive-sized battery with this "optimization" argument. But pair optimization AND a bigger battery and then you really have something.

I think the people whining about (under-sized) batteries are doing so because they know Apple could put in a more robust battery if Apple wanted to do so. They don't need apologists to try to turn a particular lemon into lemonade with spin. They want tangible, evolutionary hardware change. I doubt there's any "forgetting".

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
You seem to enjoy seeing other disappointed. How is Samsung pay check?

I'm the one who's disappointed because i had hoped for a higher capacity battery, doesn't mean I'm not getting it, it's still gonna be an awesome phone and by the way, I've only had iphones.

----------

That doesn't make a a brick less bricky.

Galaxy s5 is only a bit heavier than an iPhone 4

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
This is very disappointing if true. There's only so much optimization of the SoC a company can do to save the battery life. An LCD screen is an LCD screen and the bigger one rumored for the new iPhone will definitely use more battery than the screen in the 5S. An 1810 mAh battery is just pathetic compared to other Android phones with similar screen sizes. The Moto X (4.7" @ 720*1280) has a 2200 mAh. The Nexus 4 with 4.7" @ 768*1280 runs a 2100 mAh.

Yes, Android tends to be worse than iOS in terms of power efficiency but with a bit of mindfulness, I run my Galaxy S4 for two days on a single (85-90%) charge while my brother's 5S never late more than a day with similar usage patterns.

Apple needs to step it up. I really want to switch back to iOS with the 6 (I left after owning a 4S for a year due to small screen) but if they fail to deliver a phone with mediocre battery luge, then I'm sadly going to have to stick with Android for at least another year. And I really don't want to do that.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's amazing how much people on these forums disagree. Some say that a power efficient A8, screen, 1,810 mAH battery, etc. will lead to an improvement in battery life.

Others say that the 1,810 will barely cover the new energy cost of the screen.

We'll just have to wait and see. :)

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
OR… pair that unique optimization with a bigger battery to deliver best of all worlds.

People keep trying to spin lack of a competitive-sized battery with this "optimization" argument. But pair optimization AND a bigger battery and then you really have something.

I think the people whining about (under-sized) batteries are doing so because they know Apple could put in a more robust battery if Apple wanted to do so. They don't need apologists to try to turn a particular lemon into lemonade with spin. They want tangible, evolutionary hardware change. I doubt there's any "forgetting".

THANK YOU. Finally, a voice of reason.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No.

iPhone 5S: 1,550mAH battery; 4.0 inch screen.
iPhone 6: 1800mAH battery; 4.7 inch screen

1800mAH is about 16% more capacity than 1,550mAH
4.7 inch screen is about 14% bigger than 4.0 inch screen.

A8-Processor: Maybe 5% more efficient (real life effect).

End result: Same overall battery life performance (IMO), about 7% better than the 5S.

The 5.5" model on the other hand is going to have hours more battery per charge.

The reasoning is not complete. I had to look up the iPhone 5s battery voltage to check your claim.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think two things that could really extend battery life on the iPhone 6 (4.7") model:

1. The backlight on the display is far more efficient than before. This may be a side benefit of possibly going to a true IGZO touchscreen with extremely efficient backlighting.

2. The cellphone radio chip is now way more efficient than before. Likely sourced from Qualcomm, the new cellphone radio chip will use way less power than the one used by Apple on the iPhone 5S.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
DAMN IT! Now I got to buy the 5.5" model now :mad:

This is why I didn't want it to be real! I can't justice buying the lower end model! I really wanted the 4.7" but if the 5.5" is real, it would have a higher clocked A8, higher resolution, more battery, and probably something extra...

If with a small chance they both perform exactly the same! Have similar battery life due to having a bigger screen, I might be leaning toward the 4.7".

I mean actually their doing that with the iPad? Same resolution, same speed, same battery life! Only different size???

Hmm I take it back, this could work!

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This is very disappointing if true. There's only so much optimization of the SoC a company can do to save the battery life. An LCD screen is an LCD screen and the bigger one rumored for the new iPhone will definitely use more battery than the screen in the 5S. An 1810 mAh battery is just pathetic compared to other Android phones with similar screen sizes. The Moto X (4.7" @ 720*1280) has a 2200 mAh. The Nexus 4 with 4.7" @ 768*1280 runs a 2100 mAh.

Yes, Android tends to be worse than iOS in terms of power efficiency but with a bit of mindfulness, I run my Galaxy S4 for two days on a single (85-90%) charge while my brother's 5S never late more than a day with similar usage patterns.

Apple needs to step it up. I really want to switch back to iOS with the 6 (I left after owning a 4S for a year due to small screen) but if they fail to deliver a phone with mediocre battery luge, then I'm sadly going to have to stick with Android for at least another year. And I really don't want to do that.

Do you not charge your phone at night? Why do you need a phone to last 2 days. Sleep walker? (Kidding about sleep walker)

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Do you not charge your phone at night? Why do you need a phone to last 2 days. Sleep walker? (Kidding about sleep walker)

It does not NEED to last s days. It is just annoying as ****, that you always have to have an eye on your battery meter.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

I see the reason you get good battery life in the last sentence you wrote. You use the iPhone as a phone. Many people use their smartphones as a mobile computer. Some people don't sit at a desk all day, meaning they use their phones to look things up when they need to, not a desktop computer.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
S5 mini 4.5" has 2100mah battery and good battery life http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-mini-battery-life/

Would be shame if Apple won't reach like this result because comparing with latest Android smartphones, honestly iPhone battery life is really crap. I have iPhone 5S but short battery life is annoying a lot. Furthermore, saying that iOS is well battery optimized isn't helping anymore, more and more Android is having better battery life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.