Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
iPhone 6 NEEDS to have all day battery. I am tired of charging the iPhone 5s during the day.

What's all day battery life? Everyone has different usage. To cover everyone's definition of "all day", the iPhone's battery life would have to be doubled or tripled. We all know that ain't happening.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Funny how people defend apple by saying that their phones last all day and they end up with 40% by the time they go to bed. Well, GOOD FOR YOU. I'm genuinely happy for you. My mother charges her iPhone once every 2 days too. But that's not how most of us use our phones. I have a 4s and it lasts aprox. 4-5 hours of Usage time. Calls (plenty), messages (SMS are fine, but iMessage drains the battery like CRAZY), plus some team stream and stuff like that. I listen to music only in my car on iTunes match on 3g, but it's plugged and is charging in the meantime. Still, battery life SUCKS, especially when you use maps (or whatever requires gps), make photos and stuff. And it's only because apple makes it slimmer and slimmer and slimmer. So please, stop saying that since YOU don't have problems NOBODY has problems. It's simply depends on HOW you use your phone. And unfortunately it just CAN'T handle heavy usage. It just can't. But it CAN handle an hour of calls, some instagramming of your dinner and and lots of messages you teenagers love to send. Only problem is.. that's not enough.

I 100% agree with you. We have 3 iPhones in our household (mine is a 16gb 5, my son's a 32gb 5, and my wife's a 16gb 5c). I get the greatest battery life by far.

In terms of use patterns:

My son's is constantly on/off/on/off as he texts (nearly) uncontrollably (yes, I realize that sounds like an old man thing to say). My wife plays a couple of internet games such as Words with Friends and Yahtzee. And mine is probably idle more than the 2 of theirs combined.

A friend works in a building where her office is under ground level. Her cell signal is horrendous, and she's lucky to get 1/2 a day even without touching the phone. The battery is significantly better on days she's not at the office.

All I was getting at when asking the poster about his ~4-1/2 hours of "usage" since "this morning" was whether that was constant use. Of course, I would never expect his/her battery to last a full day as mine does as I never "use" my phone for that many hours in a day (other than calls, but even then, I don't generally run out of juice). And that is not even taking into account battery health, cell signal, etc.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
With all the extra functionality coming in the IPhone 6 such as healthkit etc don't expect much of an increase in battery life.
The technology either iis not there yet for a better battery or the cost is to high.

whiteboytrash

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
I think two things that could really extend battery life on the iPhone 6 (4.7") model:

1. The backlight on the display is far more efficient than before. This may be a side benefit of possibly going to a true IGZO touchscreen with extremely efficient backlighting.

2. The cellphone radio chip is now way more efficient than before. Likely sourced from Qualcomm, the new cellphone radio chip will use way less power than the one used by Apple on the iPhone 5S.

The M7 chip has greatly assisted battery optimisation. GPS tends to kill it fast. But M7 taking some of those functions helps a lot.

crammedberry

macrumors regular
The reason many think that Apple users are a cult is precisely because of the never-ending Apple apologists. Apple can do no wrong in their eyes.

The iPhone 5 and 5s battery sucks, no need to do Apple's damage control for them. Yes they seem to have slightly improved it in the 5s, though not nearly enough. Every phone out there has twice the capacity and lasts through the day. I've used a 5 and a 5s, I use my phone like all smartphones are meant to be used - a mini computer. If I wanted to just use my phone for talk time to make it last through the day I would have bought a cheap flip-phone.

Apple specifically markets this phone to be your personal assistant, to handle your music, to handle you life, yet when it is used that way it is dead mid-day. That's not acceptable, and no matter how much you optimize phone efficiency you can't beat the fact that the phone is lacking enough juice to fuel its power. Increasing the display area by nearly 40% while slapping minor increases to the battery cannot be made up for by optimization alone. Look at every other phone out there, the GS5, the MotoX, all these phones last much longer than a day and that's with the allegedly "horrible" android optimization.

Apple isn't magical, they can only go as far as physics will allow - something they don't have a lock on no matter how much others would like to apologize. I hope this report isn't true and we see some improvements to battery life, otherwise we will have another two years of the same complaints we've all seen with the 5 designs.

Last edited:

BerMuc

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
Maybe they make the phone completely customizable.

I know it's a theory but maybe they have a base model, and for 'a few bucks extra' you can add bigger screen size, bigger battery, sapphire glass screen, etc.

This schema could also lower the base price for the phone to the price of the current iPhone 5C.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
iPhone 6 5.5 with 2,915 mAh battery HERE I COME :D

I feel like the iPhone 6 4.7" could be a repackaged 5s with a bigger screen, while the 5.5" could be the real deal. Let's wait and see.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Well. I guess that's it. I'm out.

No. Apple can't get 1 day from this capacity, like they cant build an engine that runs 500 miles the gallon and has a 3 gallon tank.

Stop dreaming.

Voice your opinion on the battery life: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5L2MR7Q

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Funny how people defend apple by saying that their phones last all day and they end up with 40% by the time they go to bed. Well, GOOD FOR YOU. I'm genuinely happy for you. My mother charges her iPhone once every 2 days too. But that's not how most of us use our phones. I have a 4s and it lasts aprox. 4-5 hours of Usage time. Calls (plenty), messages (SMS are fine, but iMessage drains the battery like CRAZY), plus some team stream and stuff like that. I listen to music only in my car on iTunes match on 3g, but it's plugged and is charging in the meantime. Still, battery life SUCKS, especially when you use maps (or whatever requires gps), make photos and stuff. And it's only because apple makes it slimmer and slimmer and slimmer. So please, stop saying that since YOU don't have problems NOBODY has problems. It's simply depends on HOW you use your phone. And unfortunately it just CAN'T handle heavy usage. It just can't. But it CAN handle an hour of calls, some instagramming of your dinner and and lots of messages you teenagers love to send. Only problem is.. that's not enough.

I actually assume most people are disappointed with their battery life. My current 5S is a white box replacement. The previous two had moderate to mediocre battery life. So in addition to the usage variable, no battery will be exactly the same. Not even taking into account that you're comparing your experience with the 4S to the latest iPhone.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
iPhone 6 NEEDS to have all day battery. I am tired of charging the iPhone 5s during the day.

already has it. my iPhones are on a 24 hour recharge schedule. They're rated for 10 hours active use... there won't be 24 hours active use with technology as we know it.

----------

A bit of a disappointment. I personally had hoped for the 2,100mAh battery perviously speculated. Helpfully the rumored 5.5" model offers a significant increase with it's 2,915mAh battery. I guess only time will tell...

yes, if only apple would alter physics to put more juice into a physical size incapable of accepting it....

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
i just want a whole battery life phone, too much to ask apple? already the moto g battery is bigger than this one. no matter how much optimisation apple puts on its phone , i still dont beleive it can keep up on heavy usage a whole day

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
The wifi and LTE chips are also supposed to be less power hungry as well.

Same thing apple says every year. And yet here we are after 7 years of better chips and more efficient displays and more optimized software and more mAh, same battery life in the end. Pathetic.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Software/hardware optimizations (race to sleep etc.) won't help with map navigation, talk time, being in a weak signal area, or a rogue app (I'm looking at you Facebook).

I'm all for optimization, but sometimes there is no replacement for (battery) displacement.

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
As long as the apple announcement says "longer batter life than the 5S" (or something to that affect.. X% increase in browsing or whatever), I'll be happy.
I hated the 5S announcement of "same great battery life".
In my experience, the iPhone 5 battery life was poor. So "same great battery life" on the 5S wasn't too promising.
Granted, it did go from 4-5 hours usage on the iPhone 5, to 5-6 hours usage on the 5S for me.

I even switched networks to see if it was a signal issue with one or the other, but didn't see much life improvement.

Since unplugging this morning, I'm on 25% after 4:27 usage. Estimated 5:56 total usage before it's empty. That's being on wifi all day. If I have to use mobile data more, it's more like top end of 4-5 again.

that isn't spec. if true, your phone sounds defective.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
The reason many think that Apple users are a cult is precisely because of the never-ending Apple apologists. Apple can do no wrong in their eyes.

The iPhone 5 and 5s battery sucks, no need to do Apple's damage control for them. Yes they seem to have slightly improved it in the 5s, though not nearly enough. Every phone out there has twice the capacity and lasts through the day. I've used a 5 and a 5s, I use my phone like all smartphones are meant to be used - a mini computer. If I wanted to just use my phone for talk time to make it last through the day I would have bought a cheap flip-phone.

Apple specifically markets this phone to be your personal assistant, to handle your music, to handle you life, yet when it is used that way it is dead mid-day. That's not acceptable, and no matter how much you optimize phone efficiency you can't beat the fact that the phone is lacking enough juice to fuel its power. Increasing the display area by nearly 40% while slapping minor increases to the battery cannot be made up for by optimization alone. Look at every other phone out there, the GS5, the MotoX, all these phones last much longer than a day and that's with the allegedly "horrible" android optimization.

Apple isn't magical, they can only go as far as physics will allow - something they don't have a lock on no matter how much others would like to apologize. I hope this report isn't true and we see some improvements to battery life, otherwise we will have another two years of the same complaints we've all seen with the 5 designs.

Yes, yes, yes and again, yes! The 5S (I don't know about the 5, I have not had one) is an absolute disgrace in terms of battery life, and good on Samsung for their wall-hugging ads. I am outraged that I spent over £500 on a computer capable of so much to help me through my day, but which I have to keep plugging in or rationing my use of. Do I allow myself to watch the cricket for 30 minutes, or can I use the maps to help me find a decent restaurant? Can I listen to live radio, or should I save the battery in case I am stranded later at Clapham Junction and want to read an eBook with the screen bright enough to be able see it properly?

The pathetic, smug, indulgent nonsense about "super thin" whilst many of us find we can't use this device like the much vaunted Jobs would have wanted makes me sick. It is not the first time I have said this, and usually some Apple-apologist cretins come back with comments like " why don't you buy a battery case" or "why not use your phone less". You couldn't make it up...

Quite honestly, the mind boggles. The 5S is otherwise impressive, to be sure. But its pathetically inadequate battery makes it a daily trial when I am doing anything other than the most basic casual use, and if that is all I wanted from a phone, I would not have bought the 5S. Now, to praise Apple, the battery life they have got out of the MBAs is remarkably impressive.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
This was posted at 11:54am (at least according to my time). Can I ask what time you unplugged this morning? And if that 4:27 is usage or standby? If it is true usage, it would indicate that you've used the phone non-stop from roughly 7:30am-11:54am when posted. Is that the case?

The reason I ask is that there are countless inconsistencies in people reporting horrible vs ok vs good vs great battery life. My battery tends to last "all day", but my "all day" certainly does not include 4+ hours of "use" by noon.

My use patterns are much more variable, and the only time I have trouble with running low before 7 or 8pm is when I have several hours of phone time and/or GPS and/or tethering use in a particular day.

Hey there.
I'm in the UK, posted at 4:54pm. Unplugged around 9am.
It was usage, not standby.
An update:
My usage is now 5:30 on 6% at 7:30pm since unplugging around 9am. I think I'll get another 20 mins usage.
Have been on wifi all day.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Apple has no motivation to provide longer battery life span. If a phone starts off with a battery life span to just last a day; over two years it will degrade to requiring a charge maybe twice or even thrice a day. That is a powerful motivation for people to just upgrade to a new phone.

If Apple started off with a battery life span of 2 days, over 2 years it may only degrade to 1 day - which may not push enough people to replace their phones.

Apple, as we know today, does not just thrive on margins - but also on revenue.

Of course!! That explains it all.

Why, it explains why the battery life is so poor on the MacBook Airs, to force people to upgr... Oh, wait, that's not right.

Just accept that Apple don't yet have the technology to make the battery life substantially better without having a larger battery.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
already has it. my iPhones are on a 24 hour recharge schedule. They're rated for 10 hours active use... there won't be 24 hours active use with technology as we know it.

----------

yes, if only apple would alter physics to put more juice into a physical size incapable of accepting it....

A 10 hours usage iPhone DOESN'T EXIST. Only, and ONLY if you put it in airplane mode and listen to the music while the screen is off. It counts as usage time, but who are we kidding?

----------

I actually assume most people are disappointed with their battery life. My current 5S is a white box replacement. The previous two had moderate to mediocre battery life. So in addition to the usage variable, no battery will be exactly the same. Not even taking into account that you're comparing your experience with the 4S to the latest iPhone.

Mine is 4S, but it doesn't mean i haven't had an experience with all the models out there. Not impressed, sorry, just not impressed. Anyway, i will buy the iPhone 6 anyway, because i've been waiting for a little bigger screen. Don't get me wrong, i still love it and NEED it. I'm just saying...

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Well. I guess that's it. I'm out.

No. Apple can't get 1 day from this capacity, like they cant build an engine that runs 500 miles the gallon and has a 3 gallon tank.

Stop dreaming.

Well, I don't know what you are using your phone for, but I usually can get almost 2 days out of my iPhone 5. Easily 1 day. The only exceptions are when I'm in a no service area and the phone keeps trying to find a signal. In that case I might only get 14-15 hrs. Now I noticed that There are a lot of location services used by the system that don't need to be on and I shut them off long ago. (iAds, popular near me, and setting time zone for example) Also I found that there is a bug in the camera app in ios7 that drains the battery if you don't shut down the camera app after using it. Maybe you could get better life if you try some of those things. iOS7 has made the battery life worse over all but maybe iOS8 will be better. Side note My old iPhone 4 is now used as a remote for my media center, and will last a week at least with the airplane mode on and the wifi turned back on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
that isn't spec. if true, your phone sounds defective.

What spec do you mean? The apple quoted usage times?
I've never gotten apple's quoted times, and I've had the 3GS through to the 5S.
I believe those times are ideal world, good signal, in a lab or on silicon valley where there'll be cell towers on every building (wild assumption). Those times done apply to your average joe in the UK, with excellent coverage over much of the UK, but not full skgnal coverage. As I sit here and type this last bit, I have 4 dots of signal. When I started, I was sat two feet over there *points* and had 2 dots.

I did have about 7 hours usage once, on the 5S. That was when I was on wifi all day, can't remember where I was though. Possibly top floor/bedroom all day where the signal's better.
It's actually gotten worse since 4G was rolled out on my network, even though I still use wifi all the time at home. Again I think due to only have 1-2 dots of 4G signal at my house - even though I'm using wifi, it's constantly looking for a better signal or switching to 3G and searching again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.