Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxtardo

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
The Transcend upgrade for the current models is ~$340, so I would think the new model when it comes out will be around that. This includes a nice external enclosure you could use with you old 256GB for backup if that interests you.

Personally, if you really need the 512GB space, I would get the Apple upgrade so you don't have to mess around with hacks to get TRIM running properly. I suspect the "TRIM hack" is about to get more complicated here when Yosemite comes out.

Very helpful, thanks for the comparison. I think it's worth forking out to get the 512 now as it will be best to future proof the computer even if I plan to change how I use it (music on the cloud etc.).

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I bought a 512GB 2013 Mac Pro SSDoff eBay and stuck it in my late 2013 13" rMBP and woah!

1020 MB/s read and write on BackMagic. That's 3-4x faster than the old 128 GB.

The 4x PCIe support in the 2013 rMBP is confirmed. So aftermarket drives could be very fast indeed when they finally come out.

Korhan

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
Hello guys,

I am about to upgrade my Macbook Pro 13 inch early 2011 and just wanted to make sure to buy the right SSD and Ram.

Regarding the SSD: I will replace the HDD with a Samsung Evo 840 SSD with 250gb in its designated position. I reckon there are different versions so do I need to buy the Basic, Desktop or Notebook Kit?

As to the Ram: Anything with 1333 Mhz DDR3 should be fine, right?

Thank you very much in advance!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello guys,

I am about to upgrade my Macbook Pro 13 inch early 2011 and just wanted to make sure to buy the right SSD and Ram.

Regarding the SSD: I will replace the HDD with a Samsung Evo 840 SSD with 250gb in its designated position. I reckon there are different versions so do I need to buy the Basic, Desktop or Notebook Kit?

They are all the exact same drive and any of those kits will work. They just contain different mounting hardware etc. depending on the application. You won't be needing any of that hardware, so just get whichever kit you can find cheapest.

As to the Ram: Anything with 1333 Mhz DDR3 should be fine, right?

Here is RAM that will fit your MacBook. As long as you get that same spec., other brands will work fine also.

Korhan

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
They are all the exact same drive and any of those kits will work. They just contain different mounting hardware etc. depending on the application. You won't be needing any of that hardware, so just get whichever kit you can find cheapest.

Here is RAM that will fit your MacBook. As long as you get that same spec., other brands will work fine also.

Thank you very much for your help! I will let you know if I succeed in upgrading my laptop.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Anyone try the new Samsung 850's yet? care to post speed tests?

i have 128 and get 400/500 or there about (running osx 10.9.4 with server in the back)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Anyone try the new Samsung 850's yet? care to post speed tests?

i have 128 and get 400/500 or there about (running osx 10.9.4 with server in the back)

Anandtech has some nice reviews of the 850 here.
Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 5.14.33 PM.png

hed1117

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
Miami
15" rMBP mid-2012, which SSD for upgrade?

Transcend JetDrive 725 480GB (or 960GB) SATA III, OWC 480GB Aura Pro 6G or something else?

It seems to me that prices have fallen about 20% since a year ago so I can begin to seriously consider upgrading the ONLY shortcoming of my (not-enough-storage) 256GB rMBP.

Last time I looked around there was only OWC that made a rMBP compatible SSD - or so I thought...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Transcend JetDrive 725 480GB (or 960GB) SATA III, OWC 480GB Aura Pro 6G or something else?

It seems to me that prices have fallen about 20% since a year ago so I can begin to seriously consider upgrading the ONLY shortcoming of my (not-enough-storage) 256GB rMBP.

Last time I looked around there was only OWC that made a rMBP compatible SSD - or so I thought...

Yes... Transcend is pretty new to the market with these and you are correct, Transcend and OWC are your only options. There is precisely zero reason to pay $50 more for the OWC product. Go with the Transcend. There is a long thread here where you can read some user reports.

K-Line

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014

take a look to the Crucial M550 or MX100 models too

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
Looking to get either the Samsung or Crucial 1TB SSD for 17" 2011 MacBook Pro. Both seem highly rated and are around the same price.
Is one faster than the other? Which one would you recommend.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Looking to get either the Samsung or Crucial 1TB SSD for 17" 2011 MacBook Pro. Both seem highly rated and are around the same price.

They are both really close in speed. See this comparison. I would just get whichever you can find the cheapest.

The EVO does better with incompressible data, so if you plan to use OS X Filevault encryption that might favor the EVO a bit.

mytopazjr

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014

I use a lower level Samsung SSD, i would recommend the Samsung one. I have had it for over a year and i have had no issues with it

Korhan

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
I have successfully upgraded both the RAM and SSD. Is there anything particular I need to know about using or tweaking the SSD or is it just fine the way it is?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Solid state (not specific to Apple hardware)

… I'd like to post some more links relating to flash and solid state, from a private forum a few months ago, but Apple Hardware is not the ideal heading for such things …

Some of those links are in a new topic, not focused on solid state:

Approaches to local and remote storage (primarily for OS X)

Solid state

In January 2014 I spent some time seeking information. Some of what's below, originally posted to a private forum, may overlap with earlier posts to this topic – apologies.

C3TV – The Exploration and Exploitation of an SD Memory Card (2013)

– watch from 00:03:23 and listen to the spontaneous round of applause …

Disturbing trends in NAND flash... (2014-01-05)

… As very rightly stated at the Bunnie's blog presentation about the NAND memory cards:
  • -- Faking Reliability:
  • Flash memory is incredibly unreliable.
  • - You are not storing data, you are storing probabilistic approximation of your data.
  • - Workaround: Computational Error Correction (ECC). …

Could new malware steal data from INSIDE your SD card? Researchers claim even solid-state PC drives could be at risk (2014-01-02)

Coding Horror: The Hot/Crazy Solid State Drive Scale (2011)

In Stack Exchange:
In AnandTech Forums:
A 2012 post referred from one of the above, in a 220-page topic SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

Series: One SSD Technology a Day « Positively SQL (2012)

AnandTech | Intel SSD 330 Officially Announced: Affordable SandForce (2012, highlights)

AnandTech | Kingston HyperX 3K (240GB) SSD Review (2013, highlights)

KingSpec E3000S Challenger SSD Review - EMLC Endurance and LSI SandForce Performance | The SSD Review (2013, highlights) – report analysis and final thoughts (page five)

Storage talk: Understanding your solid-state drive | Crave - CNET (2013)

Introducing the SSD Endurance Experiment - The Tech Report - Page 1 (2013-08-20)

The SSD Endurance Experiment: 500TB update - The Tech Report - Page 1 (2014-01-09)

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
It still looks like the only way to have a portable thunderbolt enclosure for a 1TB SSD (I already own), is to get an Akito Neutrino, OWC on the go pro, or Buffalo HD......remove the HD and install the SSD. That should provide for a little faster I/O than USB 3 with UASP.

Has anyone performed or read any test results where these few enclosures where tested against each other using the same computer and SSD? I just wonder if there is a clear winner either for speed or stability powering a 1TB Samsung EVO. I have zero problem with an Inateck USB3 enclosure that does UASP.

Any and all feedback on portable single drive thunderbolt enclosures is greatly appreciated.

tightwad1027

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Missouri
I have a MBP 13" Retina late 2012 with 8GB of RAM and 500GB SSD. I need to upgrade the SSD to either 768GB or 1TB, and according to the spec from Apple, http://support.apple.com/kb/SP658, my MBP should at least support 768GB SSD. When I chatted with their tech support, the tech begin to tell me I'm stuck with what I got, he has the "exact" same MBP as I do and he is stuck as well, if I try to upgrade the SSD, I will void the warranty, blah, blah, blah, and that I should go to the store and they will help me find a MBP to meet my current need. I think it is ridiculous to tell someone you can't upgrade even though the spec said you can...

Anyways, can I upgrade to a 1TB SSD? If so, what do you recommend? The Samsung SSD 850 Pro or is there something else? I want something with quality so it will last me at least another 3 years. Also, what is the maximum RAM for this model of MBP? Any help regarding this matter is greatly appreciated. TIA.

Frits48

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
I have a MBP 13" Retina late 2012 with 8GB of RAM and 500GB SSD. I need to upgrade the SSD to either 768GB or 1TB, and according to the spec from Apple, http://support.apple.com/kb/SP658, my MBP should at least support 768GB SSD. When I chatted with their tech support, the tech begin to tell me I'm stuck with what I got, he has the "exact" same MBP as I do and he is stuck as well, if I try to upgrade the SSD, I will void the warranty, blah, blah, blah, and that I should go to the store and they will help me find a MBP to meet my current need. I think it is ridiculous to tell someone you can't upgrade even though the spec said you can...

Anyways, can I upgrade to a 1TB SSD? If so, what do you recommend? The Samsung SSD 850 Pro or is there something else? I want something with quality so it will last me at least another 3 years. Also, what is the maximum RAM for this model of MBP? Any help regarding this matter is greatly appreciated. TIA.
I have the exact same model / year MBP. Mine has 8 GB RAM also and works fine with demanding photo editing software.
I had a 250GB SSD and replaced it with a Transcend 720 960GB SSD. I installed it as indicated in Transcend's video and enabled Trim with their Toolbox software.
Installation was a breeze and everything works just great - and fast!
I had tried another 1 TB SSD before, which cost me a very frustrating weekend and ended in me returning it. For me, the Transcend kit is so much better in every way starting by the high quality presentation and packaging.
Love my "new" MBP!

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey

Actually I also have the same rMBP but with 250 GB SSD. But pls. note ---

1) First of all, the storage element in these rMBP's is not a standard (9.5mm or 7mm) SSD. It is a Flash Memory Storage Unit on a special PCB. There are 128 GB, 256 GB & 512 GB options.

2) At the time of BUYING these late 2012 13" rMBP's it was possible to buy them (most possibly by pre-ordering) with 512 GB & 768 GB options. That's what "configurable" means, in Apple's terminology!...

3) What you want to do is referred to as "upgradable" in the jargon. Apple, anywhere, doesn't really honor upgrades in their own stores (they always welcome configurables...).

4) (Flash) Storage Upgrades for these late2012 13" rMBPs are currently available from OWC & Transcend. Only the Transcend one can upgrade you to 960 GB (known as of today...). Another chap, has already explained this in greater detail.

5) Let me also remind you that all rMBPs newer than our "late 2012" versions, are not upgradable for Flash Storage and neither for RAM.:( You can only use the "configurable" versions at the time of ordering/purchasing. No nothing, afterwards!...

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.