Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, photos claiming to be of a new Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector surfaced. The images were said to be sourced from Apple supplier Foxconn, and were shown in a production stage. Now, frequent iOS device part leaker Sonny Dickson shares a new photo of the accessory, further indicating that a new Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector may be on the horizon:

new_lightning_cable_sd-800x600.jpg
The current Lightning cable (left) compared to new Lightning cable (right)​

While the USB connector on the current Lightning cable is attached to the bottom of its metal housing, the connector of the supposedly newer cable is attached to the center. The structure of the newer cable was also spotted in previous photos, and likely indicates that this is a reversible USB connector. It is also therefore possible that the new Lightning cable could utilize USB 3.0 technology, as current Lightning cables support only USB 2.0. However, no other evidence suggests that the cable could be of the USB 3.0 variety.

Apple could start shipping new cables alongside forthcoming iOS devices starting with the iPhone 6. In addition to a reversible connector, the new Lightning cable could also feature support for high-definition audio playback on Made for iPhone accessories as rumored by Mac Otakara earlier this year. That report further claimed that Apple was preparing a new version of its In-Ear Headphones, which have not been updated since 2008.

Apple also introduced Lightning Cable MFi specifications for headphones in June, paving the way for manufacturers to create products that connect directly to iOS devices via their Lightning port rather than through a regular 3.5mm headphone jack. Those products could also see integration with revamped Lightning cables.

Article Link: Another Image of New Lightning Cable with Reversible USB Connector Surfaces

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
For the love of god please, Apple, don't patent this. :(

I want all my cables to do this now.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
How embarrassing that Apple did this before USB will with Type C...:rolleyes:

P.S: Am I the only one who wonders how that cable will physically fit into ordinary USB slots on laptops, etc. ?

lusky

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
As long as they make the cable around the lightning connector a lot tougher I'll be happy. It is ridiculous how easy they come apart

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I might just buy in these lightnigh cables at bulk to simply replace the ends of all my USB cables with these reversible USB ends! :cool:

technima

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
Macrumors is wrong. This has absolutely nothing to with USB 3.0 or the recently unveiled USB 3.1 type-c reversible connector. The type of connector pictured has long existed and wasn't invented by Apple. In fact this type of plug has been around since the early days of the USB 2.0 specification and it's not a standardized plug design.

Here is an example of an existing cable for sale with the exact same plug.

http://biz.tigerdirect.com/p/cables...n-micro-usb-type-b-m-1-usb-hi-speed-usb-black

I would be very happy though if this rumor ends up being true. The new type-c plug doesn't work with existing type-a plugs without an adapter (which isn't reversible).

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Breaking news, non symmetrical cable is indeed not reversible

Why publish this drivel, for something to be reversible, it needs to be symmetrical.

You plug this in one way and it will fit, reverse it and it won't, hence its not reversible.

sparkso

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
Why publish this drivel, for something to be reversible, it needs to be symmetrical.

You plug this in one way and it will fit, reverse it and it won't, hence its not reversible.

The white part shifts up and down.

technima

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
The color blue is not a standard for a cable being USB 3.0 compatible.

There is a standard color for USB 3.0. It is blue, but it is not mandated. It's mostly used to help consumers distinguish USB 3.0 devices from USB 2.0 and 1.0 devices. Though on computers it's mostly used to distinguish between USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports for those that have both types of ports (which is why Apple doesn't use blue since macs only have USB 3.0 ports).

From section 5.3.1.3 of revision 1 of the USB 3.0 spec:

"Since both the USB 2.0 Standard-A and USB 3.0 Standard-A receptacles may co-exist on a host, color coding is recommended for the USB 3.0 Standard-A connector (receptacle and plug) housings to help users distinguish it from the USB 2.0 Standard-A connector.

Blue (Pantone 300C) is the recommended color for the USB 3.0 Standard-A receptacle and plug plastic housings. When the recommended color is used, connector manufacturers and system integrators should make sure that the blue-colored receptacle housing is visible to users."

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Why publish this drivel?

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
hope the decision of using the 1810 mAh battery for the iPhone 6 is reversible

This guy has a great explanation as to why Apple won't:
Apple has no motivation to provide longer battery life span. If a phone starts off with a battery life span to just last a day; over two years it will degrade to requiring a charge maybe twice or even thrice a day. That is a powerful motivation for people to just upgrade to a new phone.

If Apple started off with a battery life span of 2 days, over 2 years it may only degrade to 1 day - which may not push enough people to replace their phones.

Apple, as we know today, does not just thrive on margins - but also on revenue.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
The white part shifts up and down.

Do you know this for sure?

If it CAN shift up and down, it still needs something to MAKE it shift up and down. If USB sockets had a bevelled tongue, I could see it working. But they don't. So I really can't see how it is supposed to be reversible. Unless... They rely on gravity... And therefore can only be used in horizontally aligned USB sockets... :eek:

Anyways, I do hope the next set of iOS devices support USB 3 speeds. Considering the storage size and processing speed of modern iOS devices, and the popularity of SSD-equipped computers, not supporting USB3 speeds seems insane.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
This guy has a great explanation as to why Apple won't:

Not really credible. I've had an iphone 4 since its introduction and with moderate usage my charging pattern has remained the same, once a day overnight, for the last 4 years. The only time it drains quickly is in poor reception areas. Other than that, I'm surprised how well the battery has held up considering Apple gets panned for its devices having non-removable batteries.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Not really credible. I've had an iphone 4 since its introduction and with moderate usage my charging pattern has remained the same, once a day overnight, for the last 4 years. The only time it drains quickly is in poor reception areas. Other than that, I'm surprised how well the battery has held up considering Apple gets panned for its devices having non-removable batteries.

Actually his explanation is credible, cause rechargeable batteries do deteriorate over time.

Have you noticed that you have less charge left at nights before you recharge? I would find it extremely difficult to believe that your battery has the same charge after 4 years :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.