Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirco15

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2010
Good !!

i keep my new iphone5s galaxygrey 32 GB :rolleyes:
iPhone 6 is for to lure androidian guy.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Can't say that I'm surprised, though disappointed.

What good is a 64 bit processor and OS when the ram is so limited

So that Apple has a reason to force you to upgrade when iOS XI (read iOS 11) slows to a crawl... Just like how it started when iPhone 4 with a puny half gig RAM slows to a crawl on iOS 7...

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
As long as the 6 benchmarks as good as, if not better then the competition, who cares about 1 or 2 gig of RAM. Apple knows what they are doing, and how big of a launch this is for them. The iPhone 6 won't disappoint.

Getafe

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
That is not a good thing at all, I notice the refreshing of apps and tabs in Safari too!

Even 1.5GB's would see a huge improvement for the device (That is only 512MB's Apple, not much!), and that is what I was hoping for, as Apple don't seem to like making huge leaps at one go.

So I hope this is wrong, because the device needs a minimum of 1.5GB of RAM to run smooth enough.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Production issues have not stopped them launching products in the past, just look at the Mac Pro. Just means we all might have to wait a while to get one. I can't see them announcing the 4.7" model in Sept then announcing a 5.5" model a few months later. I'm certain they will stick to the policy of one annual iPhone media event and launch both models together.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
This.

I'm so sick of tabs reloading when I only have two or three open ...

How many would you like? What I mean is, how many tabs open do you expect in technology of this generation? My MacBook with 4 GB has issues opening more than 9 at a time, and while I can get more, it's not very smooth.

How many tabs should an iPad handle?

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Do people believe Apple is holding back the RAM size because of the cost ($10.45) or because Apple is a control freak?

It couldn't ever be the result of a carefully calculated engineering decision based on optimizing the entire device - because that is so un-Apple, right?

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Yikes we have low RAM, a small battery, next you are going to tell me 16GB is still the base model and it'll cost $100 to upgrade to 32GB. I was really looking forward to the new iPhone, but now I'm not sure what the point will be in upgrading.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
may the social media bashing by the news outlets begin ...

also seriously? 2GB certainly wouldnt hurt and costs nothing in this day of age

next up: base model still being 16 GB in 2014

How many would you like? What I mean is, how many tabs open do you expect in technology of this generation? My MacBook with 4 GB has issues opening more than 9 at a time, and while I can get more, it's not very smooth.

i know people with more than 100 tabs open at a time on their work space

Getafe

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Lynchburg, VA

That is kinda true. About 10/11 tabs is the max my Mac Mini (Late 2012) can take before I notice some lag to be honest. I'd like the iPad and iPhone to cope ok with 5 or 6 (minimum) personally otherwise what is the point in having tabs?

(This was when my Mac only had 4GB of RAM, it now has 8GB and I can open quite a few more tabs now)

Last edited:

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
This somehow reminds me of the 128MB iPhone 3G. It was OK when it shipped with iPhone OS 2, but when iOS 4 came out everyone noticed that the RAM on the device was terribly low.

So an iPhone 6 with 1GB of RAM would run OK with iOS 8, but it will most likely perform terrible after the launch of iOS 10.

History repeating itself.

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
For the most part the devices seem fine with 1 GB of RAM, but I do question if the low amount of RAM is the reason why my iPad Air cannot keep two browser tabs loaded without having to refresh. For that reason alone I was hoping for more RAM. In general, mobile Safari under performs when compared to Chrome on my Nexus 5 (tabs do not stay loaded on Safari, and it is rare to use Safari without frequent crashes).

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
i wonder how many people aren't going to buy this, given the 1gb ram, the huge display who can't be used one hand, the lack of 128gb size, the only 1800mAh battery, the camera bulge, the ugly plastic bezels, and so on...
LoL

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Irrelevant but cue people going crazy over it.

Very relevant -- as others have mentioned with Safari/apps crashing, and the system logs show RAM being full as causing the crashes.

So unless Apple really improve how iOS addresses RAM, 1GB isn't enough.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So an iPhone 6 with 1GB of RAM would run OK with iOS 8, but it will most likely perform terrible after the launch of iOS 10.

History repeating itself.
People are complaining now about the lack of ram and how it impacts performance. I'd say iOS8 and/or iPhone 6 does not alter that.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
may the social media bashing by the news outlets begin ...

also seriously? 2GB certainly wouldnt hurt and costs nothing in this day of age

next up: base model still being 16 GB in 2014

i know people with more than 100 tabs open at a time on their work space

My guess...the miniscule amount of heat that the extra RAM would generate would have caused the iPhone 6 to be .1mm thicker...and we certainly couldn't let that happen could we? ;)

GL

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

It should be able to handle a lot more considering all the stuff Apple claim about 'only building products we'd use ourselves', 'we make the best possible user experience', etc.

Especially when the issues have been documented to be due to RAM, there's absolutely no point in keeping it at 1GB.

Last edited:

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
For one reason I will upgrade my iPad air and iPhone 5S to next generation- more RAM if they won't increase especially iPad air, will skip upgrading. 1GB RAM was ok with 32bit OS and iOS6. IOS 7 and iOS 8 have a lot of new features which also consumes more RAM, not even talking about 64bit OS... Knowing Apple they could still announce 6 with 1GB RAM and 6S will come with 2GB RAM..

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Can't say that I'm surprised, though disappointed.

What good is a 64 bit processor and OS when the ram is so limited
If you think that's the only benefit of an ARM v8 processor then you really don't know what you're talking about.

We've had chips that can support more than 4GB of RAM trough various methods over a decade before 64 bit chips came out. In regular x86 chips this technique is called PAE (Physical Address Extension) and it showed up in the Pentium Pro way back in 1995. Mainframes did something similar as early as the 80's.

The actual reason why the A8 is such a great chip is not that the instruction set is now 64 bit, but eveything else about it. Not only can you do a lot of jobs that previously took several instructions in a single instruction, you've got a whole bunch of completely new instructions and the general purpose registers are now both twice the size and twice as many. In doubling of the number of general purpose registers is genuinely big step forward when it comes to IPC (Instructions Per Clock) figures.

What a lot of people bring up when you mention these upgrades is benchmarks from when 64 bit x86 came out. However the problem with those is that compilers generally didn't utilize the additional general purpose registers and instructions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.