Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I find it especially difficult on the xbox 360 where I am plugging it into a USB slot that is recessed and partially covered by a little flap. You can't see in there and all I can do is poke my USB stick around until it finally goes into something

autrefois

macrumors 65816
I have to say that UltraTek has sunk to a new low. Some companies patent ideas with no plans to implement them just so they can demand royalties or sue later.

But UltraTek not only came up with how to implement a reversible USB connector and patented it, they actually have been producing and selling a reversible USB connector for several years.

They did all of this just so that they could milk money out of Apple later. Man, they've really taken patent trolling to the extreme!

:p

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I find it especially difficult on the xbox 360 where I am plugging it into a USB slot that is recessed and partially covered by a little flap. You can't see in there and all I can do is poke my USB stick around until it finally goes into something

..... Girls...

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Another boring rumor from Mac Rumors. C'mon guys give us the full specs of both iPhone 6 models already!

I'm bored with iPhone 6 rumors. It's time for iPhone 6S rumors!!!! Just one more month until phone 6S room or season starts!!!!

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
I imagine Apple's implementation might be a little different with regard to wiring, since I believe Lightning can assign pin functions on the fly?

Like so:
USB1.png

But they have a bunch of other implementations, too. They're presumably different somehow than UltraTek's.
USB2.png

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Well if anyone successfully patents this then the whole thing becomes pointless anyway. The only way this would be nice if ALL USB connectors could work this way. If only high end cables from Apple that cost 3 times more, are white, and break twenty times faster than anything else will be reversible, then there's no point really.

I was hoping this would be the future of USB in general, that way every USB cable would be user friendly and you wouldn't have to look at a cable every time to check whether it's "user friendly" or not, and if it isn't, which way it goes in. Defeats the purpose completely.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Well if anyone successfully patents this then the whole thing becomes pointless anyway. The only way this would be nice if ALL USB connectors could work this way. If only high end cables from Apple that cost 3 times more, are white, and break twenty times faster than anything else will be reversible, then there's no point really.

I was hoping this would be the future of USB in general, that way every USB cable would be user friendly and you wouldn't have to look at a cable every time to check whether it's "user friendly" or not, and if it isn't, which way it goes in. Defeats the purpose completely.

Guys, how the hell do you break your cables? I still got my 2006 iPod 5,5 cable and i still use it on my iPhone when i'm out and it works like a charm, it's still white (and that's an achievement!) and it's solid. I just don't understand it.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
So, Apple just assumed they invented something? Or do they think the original patent was defective and they can swoop in and steal the idea? Any theories from the Apple legion lying around here?

It works basically like this, for everybody, not just Apple...

Patent applications consist of claims, in a long list.
The first claims are broad and sweeping.
The later claims get more and more specific.
The patent examiner essentially crosses off the claims in order until he/she encounters something novel.
The application is then resubmitted with only the novel parts included.

That's a very simplified version. There are plenty of resources on line for better detail.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Haha, right? Classic apple thinking. Spoon feed the customer base mindless "upgrades" in between each "next big thing"

I was wirelessly charging my palm pre over 5 years ago. Want to improve the usb cord? Get rid of it.

Erm no...

Apple is only submitting a patent to avoid some legal action on something they're putting out there, the amount of legal action warrants protecting it even when they know they didn't invent the idea.

The fact that you had a palm pre just undermines your statement as that phone was atrocious! Wireless charging is not the way to go, it's inefficient, no one has one, doesn't work with eu standards on usb. Wifi sync is not always fool proof!

If you want wireless charging buy a case for it, the fact so few do says the cable is still the best way to do it.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
Erm no...

Apple is only submitting a patent to avoid some legal action on something they're putting out there, the amount of legal action warrants protecting it even when they know they didn't invent the idea.

The fact that you had a palm pre just undermines your statement as that phone was atrocious! Wireless charging is not the way to go, it's inefficient, no one has one, doesn't work with eu standards on usb. Wifi sync is not always fool proof!

If you want wireless charging buy a case for it, the fact so few do says the cable is still the best way to do it.

So my choice of phone, five years ago, makes my opinion invalid?

Ok man, keep drinking the kool-aid.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Erm no…

Can you explain to us how this works? A patent application makes you immune to lawsuits?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.