Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen is preparing to launch a new iOS game in the near future, called Swing Copters. Previewed exclusively by our sister site TouchArcade, Swing Copters adopts the ultra tough Flappy Bird-style gameplay, adding new mechanics and a fresh skin.

In Swing Copters, players are tasked with navigating platforms with swinging hammers while climbing upwards towards the sky, a deviation from the original side-scrolling gameplay in Flappy Bird. According to TouchArcade editor-in-chief Eli Hodapp, Swing Copters emulates the "one more try" gameplay of Flappy Bird while being even more "brutally difficult."

That five point run that I busted out at the start? That's the best I've done so far, and that two minutes worth of video is basically my magnum opus as of this writing. Swing Copters is hard. Just getting through the gates themselves would be tricky enough, but adding in the swinging hammer things below them is just ridiculous, particularly as you're desperately trying to control your guy as he wildly swings from one direction to the other.

...But, like Flappy Bird, I love it. It feels like it's got all the same qualities that made Flappy Bird so sticky for me. Once you see even the smallest bit of success in the game, you can't help but play again, and again, and again, always trying to (in my case, anyway) top that amazing five point flight.
Back in March, Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen promised that the once popular game that spawned thousands of clones would return to the App Store in August. It is unclear whether Swing Copters is Nguyen's replacement for Flappy Bird or if Flappy Bird will also return to the App Store at some point.

Flappy Bird's incredible success in early 2014 prompted Nguyen to pull the game from the App Store in February, after the attention and media requests became overwhelming. At the height of its popularity, Flappy Bird was generating upwards of $50,000 per day. Nguyen also expressed concern over the response he was getting from parents and children, causing him to believe the game was simply too addictive. One woman reportedly told him he was "distracting the children of the world."

Nguyen has said that he would ensure that any future version of Flappy Bird would be "less addictive." He also suggested it would include multiplayer gameplay, but Swing Copters does not appear to include multiplayer capabilities at this time.

Swing Copters is set to be released this Thursday, August 21. The game will be a free download with a $0.99 in-app purchase to remove ads.

Article Link: Flappy Bird Creator Set to Release New 'Swing Copters' Game This Thursday

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Previewed exclusively by our sister site TouchArcade...

How did you guys get that sweet deal? I cannot fathom the levels of negotiations that must have taken place to land an exclusive review of the newest game by the godfather of mobile apps.

My birdie is ready.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
So if this one becomes another success - does he also pull it because he can't take all of the attention and feels bad for the addicted people? Or did he change is mind and thinks now that money is more important than feeling bad about peoples game addiction?

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Wow.... it looks as frustrating and annoying as Flappy Bird.

Yet people will become addicted to it.

Then Mr. Nguyen will pull Swing Copters from the app store... saying it's his duty to protect people.

And cycle continues.

:rolleyes:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
so wow, now instead random object flying to the right it is now random object flying to the top ???? Can wait for all the Flappy clones to be converted to this master change and release as new 'swing xyz'.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Mothers of the world better pray I never create a game that's "too addictive" cause if it's earning $50k a day someone would have to kill me to get it taken down.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
So if this one becomes another success - does he also pull it because he can't take all of the attention and feels bad for the addicted people? Or did he change is mind and thinks now that money is more important than feeling bad about peoples game addiction?

No... The whole charade was a publicity stunt to get his name out there. Pretty clever, it worked. If he hadn't, would anyone care about this app?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i see it doesnt auto retry just like flappy bird. hitting the play button everytime u died drove me batsh crazy

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I will be the first to release a clone app…. ROFLcopter.

9ff.gif

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque

I tend to agree. Otherwise, if he's being sincere about it all, then this new game must've been deliberately programmed to be non-addictive and potentially not fun at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.