Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When all is said and done, Sprint has promised speeds of 3-6mbps on Band 25 (1900mhz) LTE.

That's just that band. Spark handsets utilize Band 25, 26 and 41 (1900mhz, 800mhz and 2.5Ghz) to spread the load. That's why they are a good deal faster. I do not know what the final promise of speed is concerning that.

I do know that Sprint is not currently meeting the promise of 3-6mbps on Band 25 in a market they decided to call launched when it hit 40% of coverage for the population.

If anyone here does the 30 day trial I would suggest to them that they do NOT take that to the extreme. What I mean by that is, do your trial, but don't decide on day 30 that you don't want the phone and then go back to Sprint.

Sprint has a nasty habit of fudging things to their benefit. I've heard of several people who, under the 14 day trial period, turned their phones in on day 14 and found out that the had "exceeded" the trial period because Sprint counted holidays and such else against them.

Don't give Sprint that chance to screw you. If you do the trial, do it, test it and if you don't like it, turn the phone in well in advance of the 30 days. Never give Sprint any ground. It will always bite you in the end.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't see dialup speeds on sprint, I routinely use 10-20GB a month.
Valerie, you are in a second round NV market that has 96% of NV Sites accepted and 75% of LTE sites accepted.

Your market launched on July 30, 2013 and is expected to be complete by September 2014.

My market (Phoenix) is a third round market that has 91% of NV sites accepted and only 50% of LTE sites accepted. My market launched on April 29, 2014 with 40% of LTE sites accepted!

Expected completion date for the Phoenix market is September 2014, but the original completion date was in the first quarter!

Sprint has numbers that state that speeds have improved and churn has reduced in markets that are 70% or more of completion for one year or more. I don't doubt that you have the speeds you do. But there are still quite a few of us that don't.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Sprint is offering their unlimited everything plan in my area for $50/mo + giving new employees 30 days to try their new network. I'm thinking it may be worth a run at that price.

Real reason for this offer is that they are still way behind the others in good overall coverage. Give it a short try and go back if necessary. I tried them for all of 4 hours and had lousy coverage for the area I live and drive around.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Valerie, you are in a second round NV market that has 96% of NV Sites accepted and 75% of LTE sites accepted.

Your market launched on July 30, 2013 and is expected to be complete by September 2014.

My market (Phoenix) is a third round market that has 91% of NV sites accepted and only 50% of LTE sites accepted. My market launched on April 29, 2014 with 40% of LTE sites accepted!

Expected completion date for the Phoenix market is September 2014, but the original completion date was in the first quarter!

Sprint has numbers that state that speeds have improved and churn has reduced in markets that are 70% or more of completion for one year or more. I don't doubt that you have the speeds you do. But there are still quite a few of us that don't.
Yeah I understand that, b26 and b41 are still in infancy here though. I'm still without LTE at home and b41 when I connect to it is only a few MB/s so there are still still things that need tweaking, but overall I am extremely satisfied.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I've been getting very occasional LTE coverage since my last post (but keep in mind this is with my airave). It seems to get worse as I get into the city, oddly. Still very spotty.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, well, well. Same old Sprint! :mad:

Sprint Family Share Pack. $100 for 20GB of data on 10 lines. Unlimited talk and text. But only for new customers! Old customers pay $160! And if you want 60GB to SHARE you pay $225. And THEN all the other fees on top of it!

What the hell are they thinking?! I pay $5 less than the 60GB fee with ALL my addons, fees and taxes applied all together and I get UNLIMITED DATA! Not 60GB, not 20GB, UNLIMITED!

Way to go (not) Sprint! :mad:

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Well, well, well. Same old Sprint! :mad:

Sprint Family Share Pack. $100 for 20GB of data on 10 lines. Unlimited talk and text. But only for new customers! Old customers pay $160! And if you want 60GB to SHARE you pay $225. And THEN all the other fees on top of it!

What the hell are they thinking?! I pay $5 less than the 60GB fee with ALL my addons, fees and taxes applied all together and I get UNLIMITED DATA! Not 60GB, not 20GB, UNLIMITED!

Way to go (not) Sprint! :mad:

Reaching 20GB on Sprint's network is damn near technically impossible. :)

I will say that I was expecting a lot more than this due to the hype leading up to the announcement. I'm not even underwhelmed. Im just whelmed.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I've yet to understand why I stay with Sprint. I have the money to go to another carrier. I mean it's not like there is much difference in price.

After 10 years of ups and downs (mostly downs). I don't know why I've stayed.

But then I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I'm always on LTE and my speeds are definitely usable...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Reaching 20GB on Sprint's network is damn near technically impossible. :)

I will say that I was expecting a lot more than this due to the hype leading up to the announcement. I'm not even underwhelmed. Im just whelmed.
That's true. I guess the game plan is to attract as many outside customers as they can and hope that there is no backlash from the current customers.

Frankly I'm just disgusted. Maybe my Everything Data 1500 plan is now a true dinosaur. :(
The laughable thing here to me is that I used to think my plan was overpriced. So far everything else I find on Sprint or not is hideously expensive for less than what I have right now!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've yet to understand why I stay with Sprint. I have the money to go to another carrier. I mean it's not like there is much difference in price.

After 10 years of ups and downs (mostly downs). I don't know why I've stayed.

But then I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I'm always on LTE and my speeds are definitely usable...
Because it's comfortable. Even if you have the money it still takes a bit of work to move. Quite honestly, if I had to get off Sprint now, I'd sell my phones and buy some cheapy feature phone just to get on T-Mobile.

Hasn't come to that yet, but I won't hesitate now when I do come into the money to do this. I hold on to my plan because of some sense of rarety, but after today I've decided I hold no more loyalty to Sprint.

Marcelo Claure wants me to think twice. Well, this was the family plan offering, so I have. And Sprint has been found wanting, network improvement or no.

allisonfranz

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2014
Boston
I detest sprint and their inability to upgrade their service. It's seriously a ripoff to pay for data when you get 26.6k modem speeds all the time.

I am so glad I left, now I just need my fiance to get off their stinking service. We would drive around and do speedtests against each other and where she gets 1mb down/up, I get about 30.

I havent seen her score higher than 1.5mb down/up. SPrint claims LTE is coming but I doubt it.

When we went to Cleveland she got a whopping 5 mb on LTE

coorsleftfield

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
I've stayed with sprint for exactly one reason SERO . I get unlimited data for $55 but in Phoenix, even with about 60% of the network complete the data service sucks. Calls work great with no drop problems but my phone is in 3G mode 90% of the time and when it does pick up LTE, speed are typically 2-6 mbit

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've stayed with sprint for exactly one reason SERO . I get unlimited data for $55 but in Phoenix, even with about 60% of the network complete the data service sucks. Calls work great with no drop problems but my phone is in 3G mode 90% of the time and when it does pick up LTE, speed are typically 2-6 mbit
I hear you! I live in the West Valley and I can barely get 2-3mbps sitting on my couch. Go over to the area around Desert Sky Mall and it's fast. Of course, there's a Sprint store in that area so maybe that has something to do with it.

I work in Glendale though and it's just crap there. I can grab my phone on my desk and it's on LTE. But by the time I sit back in my chair it's dropped to 3G. If I go outside the building I pick up LTE on an entirely different tower. They've improved that one, but it's still not great.

I guess they are working on things again though. I'm getting missed calls at work now. Phone doesn't even ring and it's been on 3G quite a lot lately.

I hear T-Mobile is good in Phoenix so as soon as I can get the cash together to get off Sprint my wife and I will move over. After Monday's latest plan offering it doesn't even matter if Sprint speeds things up at that point. I want out now.

Sprint can kiss their valuable postpaid monthly $220 goodby and replace it with one of those new subs on the sub-$200 plan!

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I preordered my Space Grey iPhone 6 64GB this morning. Transferring phone # to AT&T. Bye Sprint.....The clock is ticking down. :) :apple:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I preordered my Space Grey iPhone 6 64GB this morning. Transferring phone # to AT&T. Bye Sprint.....The clock is ticking down. :) :apple:

I'm currently on the Framily plan. Going to switch back to a now-defunct grandfathered plan very shortly so I can get subsidies back. Sticking it out with Sprint's service though, since the Unlimited Everything plan is hard to beat.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Boston is still a mess...

AT&T and VZW have already overlaid their second layer of LTE over their B13/17 and Sprint still doesn't have their act together. One of my friends just got a Galaxy Note 4 on Sprint and came over to show it to me. He was stuck on 3G. "Spark" LTE didn't come on until we were a few blocks down the road. Ridiculous.

eprisencc

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Sprint 3G speeds are as slow as when I get throttled by att with unlimited data. When throttled I get .5 Mbps up and down.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Boston is still a mess...

AT&T and VZW have already overlaid their second layer of LTE over their B13/17 and Sprint still doesn't have their act together. One of my friends just got a Galaxy Note 4 on Sprint and came over to show it to me. He was stuck on 3G. "Spark" LTE didn't come on until we were a few blocks down the road. Ridiculous.
Totally.

It's just downright depressing. Claure got rid of the marketing exec over the weekend and today he appointed some Communications Chief guy from Visa.

I'm guessing it's going to this guys job to turn things around. The news also said Claure had appointed at least ten more people.

Where the hell was any of this last year?! Son got off track with this whole T-Mobile debacle and because of that things are a year behind!

I'm just done with all this crap and am getting out in the new year. Claure can make it great, but I'm leaving. :(

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
That's true. I guess the game plan is to attract as many outside customers as they can and hope that there is no backlash from the current customers.

Frankly I'm just disgusted. Maybe my Everything Data 1500 plan is now a true dinosaur. :(
The laughable thing here to me is that I used to think my plan was overpriced. So far everything else I find on Sprint or not is hideously expensive for less than what I have right now!

What do you pay if you don't mind me asking?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What do you pay if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind.

I pay around $211 a month. The only thing variable is the cents.

1st line - $110
2nd line - $19.99
2x $10 (Premium Data Fee) - $20
2x $11 (TEP) - $22
2GB Hotspot - $20

With taxes and fees it averages to $211.

I could have moved, but didn't want Framily and the now discontinued All In and My Way plans were more expensive for less lines. Keep in mind, that when Claure came in is only when the prices started dropping. And that was late August when I ultimately made the decision to leave.

Now, I don't move because I don't want a recommittment on a cheaper plan when I'm planning on leaving.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
"You're going to be surprised in the next 60 to 90 days that talent, the caliber of talent that we're attracting to Sprint," he said. "I'm assembling a team of people that have done this before that are world-class leaders that have decided to come and join us."
-- Marcelo Claure
Oh. My. God.

Facepalm!

SMH in disgust!

WHERE have we Sprint customers heard THAT line before?!!!:mad:

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Why doesn't sprint deploy carrier aggregation for 1900MHz? I notice in many (if not most markets) they have chunks of 5x5MHz carriers on PCS that is non-contiguous....they could easily lace these together using CA for 15x15 in areas like Chicago....would help users with CA capable devices even if they weren't on B41...I know they want to CA Band 41 but 1900 could use it too!

See the carrier aggregation chart below....

Attachments

• rel-10-11.jpg
    rel-10-11.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.