Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint today announced the debut of a new Sprint Family Share Pack plan, aiming to draw customers by offering significant amounts of data. Sprint's new plan provides customers with 20GB of shared data, which is double the amount that Sprint offered with its previous Framily plans.

For a limited time, customers who switch to Sprint will get the 20GB of shared data plus an additional 2GB of data per line for $100 per month until the end of 2015, with support for up to 10 lines (including a waived $15/month device fee). That equates to 40GB of shared data for 10 lines, up from the 1GB per line Sprint originally offered under its Framily plans.

sprintplans.jpg
The Sprint Family Share Pack, offering double the high-speed shareable data for smartphones, basic phones, tablets and mobile broadband devices, will be available starting Aug. 22. For example you can get four lines and 20GB of data for $160 compared to 10GB of data for the same price from AT&T or Verizon.

But wait, there's more. To kick off Sprint's "new day for data" campaign, Sprint is offering a limited-time promotion for the Sprint Family Share Pack: For a family with up to 10 lines, get 20GB of Shared Data and Unlimited Talk & Text for only $100 a month through 2015 - and, as an added bonus, customers will get an additional 2GB per line for up to 10 lines. For a family of four, that's a savings of $60 per month better than AT&T's and Verizon's current pricing through 2015; double the data of Verizon; and more than double the high-speed data of AT&T and T-Mobile.
To further sweeten the deal and attract new users, Sprint is offering up to $350 (via Visa Prepaid Card) to cover early termination fees for users switching from other carriers. Sprint's device fees are still applicable, requiring both Easy Pay users and those who sign up for subsidized phones to pay device fees in the range of $15 to $25 (minus the $15 discount).

While the promotional $100/month price is only for new customers, existing Sprint subscribers can get 20GB of shared data for up to 10 lines for $160 per month. Current subscribers cannot, however, get the 2GB of bonus data being offered to new customers. A full breakdown on pricing:

sprintbreakdown.jpg
Sprint's website also promises to bring more "great announcements" in the near future. Sprint's new CEO, Marcelo Claure, has pledged to bring more disruptive pricing to Sprint following its failed merger with T-Mobile.

Sprint's new plan will be available beginning on Friday, August 22.

Article Link: Sprint Announces New Data-Heavy Family Share Pack Plan With Incentives for New Subscribers

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
$100 to $160 A MONTH :eek::eek::eek:

and people in Germany look at me crazy when i tell them that i pay 35 Euro a month.

$100 is more than i pay for netflix, Nexus Plan, iPad Plan, unlimited 100mbit internet, spotify and cable HD tv combined lolol

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Wait, I have a family of 3 on Verizon with only 4GB and I'm pretty sure my bill is near $160. Assuming you actually can get some LTE on Sprint this may not be a horrible deal...

arteggio

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
ssuming you actually can get some LTE on Sprint this may not be a horrible deal...

You can — but the speeds still won't be great. ;)

In all seriousness, I'm leaving Sprint because LTE is weak, when it's not 4-5 bars and when it switches from 3G it usually gets stuck in unusable 1x for a moment. I wanted to do T-Mobile, but their coverage is about just as bad, although their LTE is a little more robust in the same areas as my Sprint phone.

This is in Pittsburgh. Sprint's LTE just rolled out over the last six months and I hope it gets better. Unfortunately, I regret switching to this carrier (under the lure of unlimited data) two years ago, without knowing it would lag behind.

iPhone 6 with AT&T for me…

duddy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
For anyone on Verizon, they are doing an extra 1GB of shared data for any upgrades and new smartphone lines. The 1GB is good for two years.

So, a ten line account could have 20GB of shared data. Not nearly as good as the Sprint deal, but maybe some of the bigger carriers will respond with something similar.

Heavenly

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Northwestern University
Wait, I have a family of 3 on Verizon with only 4GB and I'm pretty sure my bill is near $160. Assuming you actually can get some LTE on Sprint this may not be a horrible deal...
That's the big drawback for Sprint; I'm on my parents' Sprint family plan and LTE for Sprint is never around when it's needed(and I work in downtown Chicago!). It's conveniently available whenever I'm in my usual spots and on Wi-Fi but when on the train, it's very annoying to check premarket data when LTE is available only half the time.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
i wish AT&T actually cared about this type of competition. i have "unlimited" data but they throttle me to HALF of 1 mbit when i go over 4 gigs. makes it completely unusable for things like spotify.

metfuel

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2002
Keep it up Sprint & T-Mobile.

(Almost) Everything they have done AT&T has eventually done something similar. Not completely hopeful that this will happen on AT&T, but I would even be happy with 15 gb or to be able stream my music without it impacting my data.

duddy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
i wish AT&T actually cared about this type of competition. i have "unlimited" data but they throttle me to HALF of 1 mbit when i go over 4 gigs. makes it completely unusable for things like spotify.

I am in the same boat. I honestly wouldn't mind the throttling if it went back to like HSPA or something. But 500kbps is useless for anything other than checking Twitter.

courtstagram

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
NoVA
Practically the same plan i've had with Sprint forever.
Except my family of 4 shares like 1500 minutes with unlimited data and messaging.

I hate sprint, coverage sucks and I live in the DC area.
We also have to buy our phones directly from Apple because Sprint wants us to get a framily plan, haha no. Hopefully I can get the iPhone 6 from Sprint and they won't make me change my plan...

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC

and people in Germany look at me crazy when i tell them that i pay 35 Euro a month.

$100 is more than i pay for netflix, Nexus Plan, iPad Plan, unlimited 100mbit internet, spotify and cable HD tv combined lolol

While you're right that US plans are expensive and often misleading, don't forget this is divided by 4 (so 18 or 29 euros) as well as the 1/7th as many people per square kilometer in Germany to cover.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Ok,this is good! Get all this out now so when the holidays come around, I can have plenty of time to figure this all out! Instead of last min deals that you find out isn't really a deal!?

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
All on the nationwide LTE network that is still not completed in many major markets. :D

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Based on the pathetic 3G Sprint speed in my area, I could download data nonstop and never hit the limit. No thanks.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have a friend who still can't get LTE through Sprint here in Denver.

Of course I still can't get LTE through AT&T or Verizon here at my house which is why I'm on T-Mobile and will never leave them.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas

Just out of curiosity, what are your plans terms? Lines, data cap, minutes, etc... Hows coverage over there?

Id just like to compare to see how much the plans are really different between the US and Europe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.