Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Beats Music, now owned by Apple, has created a documentary to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Do The Right Thing, a Brooklyn-based film created by Spike Lee. The 22-minute short features Spike Lee and Danny Aiello revisiting some of the original spots where the movie was shot, contrasted by shots from the film itself.

It also delves into some behind the scenes information on the building of the set and the creation of the movie, revisiting many of the actors who starred in the film and getting details on the making of the movie from the original crew.

Towards the end, the documentary features a huge block party thrown by Beats Music in the Brooklyn neighborhood where Do The Right Thing was filmed, with celebrity attendees like Erykah Badu, Dave Chapelle, Wesley Snipes, and Mos Def. The family-friendly event featured a performance of "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy along with activities for kids and adults alike.

As noted by Variety, Beats Music's new documentary suggests the company remains dedicated to expanding the Beats Music brand even after its purchase by Apple. According to rumors, one of the many potential reasons Apple purchased Beats was to up its "coolness" factor among younger consumers, a position Beats has earned with both edgy advertising campaigns like the Do the Right Thing documentary and celebrity endorsements.

Article Link: Beats Music Creates Documentary On Spike Lee's 'Do the Right Thing'

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Good for Beats, now they are in the documentary business.

But their music service sucks! I loved MOG and now hate Beats, mainly because without the Artist Radio feature, which they removed, Beats is much less useful.

I wish I had not prepaid for a year, and will cancel as soon as my contract is up.

I am actually about to get a subscription to Spotify, and good riddance of this new service.

mrbib

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem got a raw deal.

The summer heat, short tempers, police violence, racial tensions and an uncontrollable mob...still relevant subject matter today considering whats going on in Ferguson, MO at this moment.

Wow, its been 25 year since that movie and somethings never change.

Last edited:

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Born In Brooklyn NYC! Great movie for the time! Great time that day! Had fun! Looking at so few responses goes to show how many poeple never heard of the movie and/or how young Mac rumors poster are!

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Born In Brooklyn NYC! Great movie for the time! Great time that day! Had fun! Looking at so few responses goes to show how many poeple never heard of the movie and/or how young Mac rumors poster are!

I don't like Spike Lee toooo much. But "Do the Right Thing" is a good movie. Hands down. It's got the message right, as well as the plot and pacing, which made it an overall enjoyable movie.
Unlike most other movies today... which you watch and then forget about.

Oh and for your record... I was born in 87...
People a certain age should know the movie... regardless of when or where they were born!

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I really think the Beats brand is going to be good for Apple over time. its two different worlds that at first look, you wouldn't think would work well together. But I think the two brands will work FOR each other. Apple has always done a good job and being a brand that pushes a certain culture. Beats is well on its way if not already to pushing its own culture. These two cultures are in two worlds but are very similar in how they grab the attention of the people in those two worlds.

Think over the years, products will be essential of course, but it will be the vibrant and persuasive CULTURES that will take these two brands to unbelievable levels.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Are we seriously going to get a post every time Beats release a new set of headphones, advert or film? I get apple but why do we need beats also - its should be called Beatrumors then :p

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Good for Beats, now they are in the documentary business.

But their music service sucks! I loved MOG and now hate Beats, mainly because without the Artist Radio feature, which they removed, Beats is much less useful.

I wish I had not prepaid for a year, and will cancel as soon as my contract is up.

I am actually about to get a subscription to Spotify, and good riddance of this new service.

There's an artist radio feature built into iOS.

Love beats music.

----------

Are we seriously going to get a post every time Beats release a new set of headphones, advert or film? I get apple but why do we need beats also - its should be called Beatrumors then :p

In case you forgot, beats is an apple brand now.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
MODS:

I would like an explanation on why my comment was deleted. When a comment is deleted, a PM should be sent to the user explaining the reasoning behind the comment removal. AFAIK, nothing I posted was against forum regulations. It is quite disconcerting if mods are now going around deleting comments that they do not personally agree with, especially if they are not going to notify the users of their removal. So to the mod who deleted my comment, please explain.

Thanks,
Aaron

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Awful movie. Had to sit through it twice for a class. Think I'll miss this documentary.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
There's an artist radio feature built into iOS.

Love beats music.

----------

In case you forgot, beats is an apple brand now.
The MOG artist radio had a slider that you could hear all of one artist and as you moved the slider to the right, more artists were added. When you pulled up an album by an artist, the app would go right into artist radio without user intervention when the album finished playing. The combination of iTunes Radio and Beats is not a substitute for MOG. MOG also had new releases on page 1 when you opened the app, with Beats (unless something has changed in the past couple of months) you have to dig through genres to find them. MOG also had a desktop app, when I tested Beats it did not have one available and their web app was horrible. MOG also had an interface with my car and worked with Roku.

Beats has a nice way to find music, but they are limited in a lot of ways compared to MOG. I wonder what the drop rate for the service was? It had to be high.

Rdio is the closest thing to MOG, but they use a lower bitrate right now. When that gets in line, which they have already announced that they are moving to 320k, I plan to move from Spotify to Rdio. Although, I also want to try Deezer.

The only thing that gives me any hope for Beats music is that Apple bought them. For example, integration with Siri, like you have with iTunes Radio/Match would be a very nice feature.

I don't really know why they are branching into documentaries, but my feelings aren't hurt because of it.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
MODS:

I would like an explanation on why my comment was deleted. When a comment is deleted, a PM should be sent to the user explaining the reasoning behind the comment removal. AFAIK, nothing I posted was against forum regulations. It is quite disconcerting if mods are now going around deleting comments that they do not personally agree with, especially if they are not going to notify the users of their removal. So to the mod who deleted my comment, please explain.

Thanks,
Aaron

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I said that the Apple TV was still a hobby, and I hope they are going to announce something soon. I don't see what is so wrong with saying that.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
MODS:

Thanks,
Aaron

They've been doing personal opinion deletion for a few months now. It's quite disconcerting and they'll delete this too. I've seen heavy handed moderation kill many a formerly great forum. This forum will be gone soon too because of the moderation but almost no one sees it yet.

I have a guess that the mod doing these deletions is young, leftist and Asian so anything that rubs against the modern uberPC views on race is just automatically wiped.

Last edited:

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I tried Beats Music for a while and was unimpressed. The only draw was that I could use my iTunes Store credit. The app has been laggy and on numerous occasions has skipped tracks midway through a song, very frustrating when you're getting into the groove of a workout.

Apple's weird appeals to leftist groups are a disturbing trend. I know that Steve Jobs and I probably had little in common politically, but he never made politics (especially racial politics) part of Apple's marketing plan. The apocryphal quote attributed to Michael Jordan comes to mind "Republicans buy shoes also".

I'm disgusted by Tim Cook's disappointment at Apple's diversity numbers, apparently there are too many white men working for Apple. I dislike Spike Lee, I think he's a weasel who hates white people. I have no interest in supporting black pride events like what's depicted in this video. More power to you if you want to, I've cancelled my Beats subscription. I think the 11,000 songs (30 days of music) in my iTunes library should keep me occupied for a long time.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I said that the Apple TV was still a hobby, and I hope they are going to announce something soon. I don't see what is so wrong with saying that.

This place really feels like ultimately the shots are being called behind the scenes by Apple. Is there a forum out there where people can be genuinely critical of the company without their posts being deleted?

I'm starting to be surprised I haven't been banned yet I think a few of my posts were getting at stuff Apple just doesn't want known. If you never see me again that means I was banned.

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
MODS:

Thanks,
Aaron

I too was surprised to see my post deleted without any notification. I don't expect a right of appeal, or even necessarily a rational explanation for moderation: I accept that if you post on a forum then you are subject to the whims of moderators with whom you might not agree. But simply to delete posts without any form of pm to the poster seems most odd. I am messaging the moderators suggesting that this is an area of moderation policy the mods should seek to amend.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I too was surprised to see my post deleted without any notification. I don't expect a right of appeal, or even necessarily a rational explanation for moderation: I accept that if you post on a forum then you are subject to the whims of moderators with whom you might not agree. But simply to delete posts without any form of pm to the poster seems most odd. I am messaging the moderators suggesting that this is an area of moderation policy the mods should seek to amend.

I still have yet to see a response by any mod to my comment, lol. I've been around here a while and the few times I've had a post removed, they've provided a legitimate reason—usually when a debate got too heated. This time though—wow. I was responding to people saying that it's racist to not like Dr. Dre. All I wrote was that racism is not liking someone solely because of the color of their skin. I don't like Dr. Dre because of his behavior. I also said that it's ok to not like a business owned by a minority. Not BECAUSE it's owned by a minority, but just happens to be owned by one.

Now it's time for me to take this thread to the extreme. Maybe this will get the mods attention? But an Apple executive did write this, and this is an Apple site, so I think it should be ok. I've never seen them remove quotes by Apple executives before. I'll even overly censor it, for the children:

"B**ches ain't ****** but h**s and tricks
Lick on these n*ts and s**k the d**k"

- Dr. Dre, Apple Executive

But sure, perfectly respectable guy, right? I'm sure this is what Apple meant when they said they are working towards more diversity. They clearly need more misogynistic men running the company. Or people who use racial slurs when bragging about Apple buying their company before the deal was even completed. Classy—Apple all the way. Steve would approve 110%.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Never saw your posts, but I'd guess from your discussion it is because they were too politically charged in nature and this is not the PRSI forum where they allow more of that. Could also be off-topic.

Why does every thread with a pic of a person with darker skin than this turn into a political nightmare? People are psychotic.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
It's a Spike Lee joint.

By the way, what the hell happened to Danny A.? The passage of time has not been kind.

he's 81

----------

you'd be surprised at how old Macrumors members can be. Reddit users skew older sometimes.

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
I still have yet to see a response by any mod to my comment, lol. I've been around here a while and the few times I've had a post removed, they've provided a legitimate reason—usually when a debate got too heated. This time though—wow. I was responding to people saying that it's racist to not like Dr. Dre. All I wrote was that racism is not liking someone solely because of the color of their skin. I don't like Dr. Dre because of his behavior. I also said that it's ok to not like a business owned by a minority. Not BECAUSE it's owned by a minority, but just happens to be owned by one.

Now it's time for me to take this thread to the extreme. Maybe this will get the mods attention? But an Apple executive did write this, and this is an Apple site, so I think it should be ok. I've never seen them remove quotes by Apple executives before. I'll even overly censor it, for the children:

"B**ches ain't ****** but h**s and tricks
Lick on these n*ts and s**k the d**k"

- Dr. Dre, Apple Executive

But sure, perfectly respectable guy, right? I'm sure this is what Apple meant when they said they are working towards more diversity. They clearly need more misogynistic men running the company. Or people who use racial slurs when bragging about Apple buying their company before the deal was even completed. Classy—Apple all the way. Steve would approve 110%.
Dude no one cares.Your quoting lyrics from over 20 years ago.If the Dre deal upsets you so much sell all your apple stuff and move on.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Dude no one cares.Your quoting lyrics from over 20 years ago.If the Dre deal upsets you so much sell all your apple stuff and move on.

That's the lamest response I've ever read on this site. How about no? I think Apple makes good stuff, and I want to continue using good gear (because there are no alternatives), and now I see them making poor decisions. So hell yeah I'm going to call them out on it. Browett was a poor decision and we all called them out on that. There was clear evidence that the retail experience for customers was suffering. I knew a guy who worked at the store in Leawood, KS and he said that things were going downhill quickly. Sometimes Apple just makes dumb calls. But besides all that, my comment was mainly aimed at all the people who say you're racist if you don't like Beats or Dr. Dre. The whole point of my original comment (that was deleted) was debunking that. Those original posts were also deleted. Dre being a minority has nothing to do with it. I don't like Beats and Dre because of the person he is inside (use of racial slurs and curse words when drunkenly leaking the Apple deal is very recent), not his outer appearance. I don't like Eminem either, but that doesn't make me racist towards white people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.