Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to supply chain sources, LG Display will be the largest supplier of display panels for Apple's upcoming iPhone 6 handset. As relayed by G 4 Games, the Korean company allegedly beat out rivals Samsung, Sharp, and Japan Display to earn the top supplier spot. A March report had claimed Apple was working with LG, Japan Display, and Sharp on the panels, but a May follow-up indicated Sharp had been dropped over quality issues as Apple turned to Taiwanese company Innolux to fill out its display supplier group.

lg-display-logo.jpeg
The original Feng.com report does not provide details on the number of panels being produced by LG and the other display manufacturers, but analysts predict Apple is preparing to manufacture up to 80 million iPhone 6 units by the end of the year.

While the next-generation iPhone is expected to ship in both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch versions, it is unclear whether the rumored sapphire crystal display will make its way into all iPhone models. A recent report from the Wall Street Journal suggested supply constraints may limit sapphire to more expensive, higher-end models.

These details and more likely will be revealed during Apple's expected September iPhone event. Apple is rumored to be unveiling its iPhone 6, with the 4.7-inch version going on sale shortly after the announcement. The larger 5.5-inch model could launch alongside the smaller model or up to several months later.

Article Link: Supply Chain Indicates LG Display Will Be Primary iPhone 6 Display Supplier

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I just want to know the resolution of the new displays. I'm hoping for 1920x1080. Having the same on both sizes would be nice.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Good. Now less Samesung supplier till zero % Samesung.

Hopefully this LG wont backstab Apple.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
On all of these iPhone 6 related articles I find myself reading only one paragraph because the other 4-6 paragraphs are just old info .

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Good. Now less Samesung supplier till zero % Samesung.

Hopefully this LG wont backstab Apple.

I would concern myself more with screen issues with LG as many articles/complaints were published about LG's screens on the retina MBP vs Samsung's.

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Lg panels on iMac not good either

I remember how bad lg panels were

I had to swap them for better Samsung panels

On my 3rd replacement lg panel on my 27" 2010 iMac. (Thank you AppleCare) All failed with the same smudge cloud problem, as has been well documented on this site. All looked real nice before failing, though! :)

Hopefully these displays are a much different breed.
Iamthinking

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Starting in late 2013, both LG and samesung have had bad rMBP panels. It's not tied to a certain manufacturer. Would love to see some real data supporting otherwise, instead of just conjecture based on Internet forum complaints.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Making it the same on both would make it easy for devs.

And there is no reason for this if its @3x or @4x:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/02/xcode...-way-for-iphones-with-new-screen-resolutions/

There's nothing in iOS 8 to help deal with a screen density higher than **~326PPI.

If you use auto-layout and the new iOS 8 "size classes" and use the simulator at this supposed "3x" resolution of 1704x960, your app will reflow its layout accordingly.

But when you'll try to use this app on the 4.7" iPhone 6, buttons, text and tap targets will become too small to use because of the increased PPI (which would be around 416PPI). This means developpers would have to spend a lot of time resizing UI elements by some non-integer fraction as auto-layout is meant to resize the layout, not the individual buttons and UI elements (which have to be a certain minimum size relative to the 326PPI standard retina PPI).

Or if they do use this 3x trick to keep the same layouts (starting with the non-retina 16:9 layout and multiplying coordinates by 3) the result would be the same exact interface as the iPhone 5/5S but just blown up (and sharper) which wouldn't make a good use of the increased screen area.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Starting in late 2013, both LG and samesung have had bad rMBP panels. It's not tied to a certain manufacturer. Would love to see some real data supporting otherwise, instead of just conjecture based on Internet forum complaints.

This.
I'm sure the image retention problem that happened with some of the LG panels for rMBP aren't something that happens with all panels from LG. Stop should stop making general conclusions based on small events.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.