Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid rumors of both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch versions of the iPhone 6, speculation about what resolutions Apple will use for the new devices has generated a number of different theories. The most concrete suggestion so far has been a 1704 x 960 resolution that could see the current "2x" Retina display move to an even sharper "3x" display.

A new photo from Russian luxury modified iPhone vendor Feld & Volk [Instagram page] now shows the display of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 under a microscope, with the firm telling MacRumors the panel does indeed carry a resolution of 1704 x 960.

iphone_6_display_microscope.jpg
The photograph posted by Feld & Volk does not, however, necessarily appear to agree with that claim, as it seems to show roughly 13 pixels per mm in the horizontal and vertical directions, while a 4.7-inch display at 1704 x 960 should be closer to 16 pixels per mm. The current iPhone 5s display is roughly 10.5 pixels per mm.

A potential answer to this problem arrives in another report today from 9to5Mac, which has discovered references to yet another resolution of 1472 x 828 within recent Xcode 6 beta releases.
This particular file outlines for the system where icons, by default, will be placed on an iPhone's Home screen. This particular file, which was added in Xcode 6 beta 5 earlier this month and still exists in yesterday's Xcode 6 beta 6, is optimized for an iPhone with a resolution of 414 (width) x 736 (height). The iPhone SDK parses hardware resolutions via "point values," so the actual "Retina" resolution is in fact double (or potentially triple) whatever numbers the SDK presents.
While analysis quickly becomes speculative, one way Apple could use both of these rumored resolutions would be to to launch a 4.7-inch iPhone at 1472 x 828 and a 5.5-inch model at 1704 x 960. In that scenario, both iPhone 6 models would have pixel densities of 355-360 pixels per inch. This translates to roughly 14 pixels per mm in each direction, close to what is seen in the Feld & Volk photograph.

Depending on how the rumored 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch sizes have been rounded for convenience, the two iPhone 6 panels could actually offer the exact same pixel density, slightly higher than current iPhones and allowing for efficiencies in the manufacturing process if the same technologies and production methods are used in the two new models.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPhone 6 at a media event on September 9, but it remains unclear whether the company plans to show off both models at the same time, and even it does, there have been rumors that the larger model should ship up to several months later than the smaller version.

Article Link: 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Screen Put Under Microscope as New 1472 x 828 Resolution Emerges

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I know a more precise method which involves a ruler and a laser pointer.

Not sure why they bother with this stuff. Just count the number of pixels and do the damn math.

Anyway, this will be helpful. Viewing web pages is often annoying on the 5.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Hmm. I was hoping to see a resolution higher than that- I guess time will tell. I thought it'd make more sense to go with a x3 resolution.

I wish I could "see" a resolution higher than that! Alas, age has caught up with my eyes.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I honestly think a full 3x resolution would be a waste of RAM and disk space. I certainly don't go around thinking, "man, I wish this one was a 1080p or 960p display, it's kind of blurry". But sure, it's not that I would complain if Apple would provide 3x resolution and it not affecting performance whatsoever. I don't see how a CPU bump alone would do the trick though. Pushing around 50% larger graphics all over the place tend to depend on more things than that.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Not quite 1080p, not quite 2014 technology either. these are daft screen resolution for something to be released in 2014.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I wish I could "see" a resolution higher than that! Alas, age has caught up with my eyes.

Right...when apple gives you sub 720p for the past 7 years, you say you can't tell the difference. When they give you 3X the pixels now you guys say it's all great. Lol, these numbers are just really daft.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
In that scenario, both iPhone 6 models would have pixel densities of 355-360 pixels per inch...Meanwhile the Note 4's panel will sport a 515ppi:eek:I dont about u but I can actual tell a 300ppi vs a 450+ppi panel

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
414 x 736 is such an odd res to have to update apps. Nothing is going to be same size.

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Not quite 1080p, not quite 2014 technology either. these are daft screen resolution for something to be released in 2014.

Oh you know Apple, it will say that there is no perceivable improvement. I disagree but some will agree so it'll work out for them.

Truth is people will buy an iPhone for all the other stuff you get with it, very few would refuse to buy an iPhone because the resolution isn't 1080p, so they're safe.

This is smart for app compatibility and also making it easier for the phone's graphics chip to not be burdened with higher resolutions, having to run it faster/hotter and thus killing battery life.

TL;DR -- this is what we all expected, and it's probably for the best

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I honestly think a full 3x resolution would be a waste of RAM and disk space. I certainly don't go around thinking, "man, I wish this one was a 1080p or 960p display, it's kind of blurry". But sure, it's not that I would complain if Apple would provide 3x resolution and it not affecting performance whatsoever. I don't see how a CPU bump alone would do the trick though.

It won't even matter, apple is so far ahead of the curve when it comes to their GPU performance. Apple is always king when it comes to GPU performance but then you can always argue it's not 1080p so technically it doesn't even break a sweat in the GPU dept.

Android is always far behind in GPU performance; well, except for the nVidia K1

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
While it does increase the burden on developers, it's better to not have extra resolution that the eye cannot distinguish. It would just waste power and be harder to yield.

callea

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Italy
In that scenario, both iPhone 6 models would have pixel densities of 355-360 pixels per inch...Meanwhile the Note 4's panel will sport a 515ppi:eek:I dont about u but I can actual tell a 300ppi vs a 450+ppi panel

Samsung will probably use a pentile matrix ! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.