Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added two new locations to its Maps Flyover feature in iOS, including Yosemite National Park in California and Wellington, New Zealand. The new additions to Flyover allow users to take a close 3D look at the areas, zooming in on important buildings and landmarks.

Flyover data for Yosemite National Park comes as Apple prepares to launch OS X Yosemite, the newest version of its Mac operating system. As of OS X 10.9 Mavericks, Apple began naming its operating system updates after major California landmarks and with OS X Yosemite set to be released to the public later this year, it makes sense to add Yosemite's Flyover data to Maps.

flyoverwellingtonyosemite.jpg
With the addition of two new locations, Apple now provides Flyover data on more than 90 parks and cities around the world, with a full list available on its iOS 7 Feature website.

Over the last several months, Apple has been hard at work improving its Maps app. Users have reported significant improvements in Apple Maps data, with errors being fixed quickly and new Points of Interest popping up. Apple also made notable updates to Maps in China, Japan, and other countries earlier this year.

Article Link: Yosemite National Park and Wellington, New Zealand Added to Apple Maps Flyover Feature

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Another step In The right direction ! Truth is, a great mapping software takes years! Apple is still a few years away, I think!

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I'm sorry but:
Street View - very useful
Flyover - gimmicky.

If you zoom in far enough with FlyOver you get a much better understanding of the area your looking and it is easier to look at.

StreetView is only nice for seeing the name of stores/numbers etc.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
If you zoom in far enough with FlyOver you get a much better understanding of the area your looking and it is easier to look at.

Street View is way better for pedestrians and cyclists - you can actually see some real detail. FlyOver is of course somwhat useful for drivers (I suspect Apple is being US-centric again) and also a great visual candy for advertising / new product introductions.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Street View is way better for pedestrians and cyclists - you can actually see some real detail. FlyOver is of course somwhat useful for drivers (I suspect Apple is being US-centric again) and also a great visual candy for advertising / new product introductions.

Genuinely curious. I have no dog in the fight. How would Flyover be useful for drivers? Don't pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers have the same POV?

:confused:

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Yet my city is about 7 years old and hugely outdated. With major housing estates, a completely redesigned city centre with new shopping complex and completely new road networks.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Genuinely curious. I have no dog in the fight. How would Flyover be useful for drivers? Don't pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers have the same POV?

:confused:

I didn't really understand that either. it doesn't matter what mode of transport you're using, what matters is exactly what information you need.

If you need to see a particular address, say a house or office, so you'll recognise it when you arrive, then Street view is great.

But if you want to find parking spaces, or back alley shortcuts for pedestrians or cycles, or you want to plan an itinerary visiting landmarks, or you want to find a place you once visited but don't remember the address, Flyover is much, much quicker.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Yet my city is about 7 years old and hugely outdated. With major housing estates, a completely redesigned city centre with new shopping complex and completely new road networks.

Yeah, these stories aren't really necessary. Coverage maps are available from the mapping suppliers showing how recent their imagery is. Here's one of the UK, where you can see, unsurprisingly, they don't scan the entire country in the space of a year. You just have to wait until your turn comes around again. If it ever does.

http://www1.getmapping.com/Support/Aerial-Photography-Coverage

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

I wish it was nice for that! Those signs are too rarely legible.

I originally though Street View was great for figuring out super-local details like which driveway goes with which building, or which doorway goes into which business. And I thought Flyover was just a super-cool gimmick that I'd play with and forget.

In reality--since my city DOES have flyover (and I appreciate that that doesn't help everyone) I use it all the time, and it does what street view used to do, only MUCH BETTER.

Street view: your view is directly at the familiar street level perspective, and will look just the way you expect when you're there in person. Nice!

But...

- Your view is often in the wrong lane, taking the "familiar" advantage away.

- It's often blurred and smeared beyond recognition, noisy, poor contrast, and obscured by lens flares, so you can't read most of the signs you need anyway. I was just trying to use it again this morning and gave up in disgust. What a mess (not always but FAR too often).

And...

Flyover view is WAY FASTER and WAY EASIER TO NAVIGATE.

Street View is such an awful experience (including terrible desktop navigation controls). Turn... turn some more... adjust... click to move forward... wait for loading... look around... oops, went down the wrong way... turn around again... turn some more... tap back where you came from... loading delay... turn again... click again... loading delay... can't quite see what I want... try a little farther ahead... loading delay... wish I could back up just a little... but I can't, I'm stuck with nodes 40 feet apart... give up.

Compare to Flyover: you can navigate instantly and smoothly using the SAME panning/zooming controls as 2D maps. It's not a separatre, awkward mode. It just works.

And you can easlly see the lay of the land, the driveways, etc. that Street View could show you. Not perfectly, but not worse either--just different. It turns out that the human brain actually has no trouble recognizing a place from an angle 50 feet in the air.

Try this experiment: find a square block of your city, and pretend you know a restaurant is in that area, and you know what it looks like but you don't remember the name. Now take a "walk" around that block, all the way around and back, four turns, in Street View. Now try it in Flyover.

No contest. You can spot the place in a few seconds in Flyover. With Street View you will spend minutes, and that's not counting the time you need to go get a shot of whisky to survive the hassle.

I hope Apple keeps bringing Flyover to more and more urban areas. For a landmark, it’s a gimmick. For a neighborhood, it’s awesome.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

But then again, the Satellite/Earth view in Google Maps is usually better than Flyover as it covers the whole world (Flyover is limited to 30-40 cities or so) and it's generally updated more often.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
But then again, the Satellite/Earth view in Google Maps is usually better than Flyover as it covers the whole world (Flyover is limited to 30-40 cities or so) and it's generally updated more often.

Actually, Apple Maps has satellite imagery and 3D terrain for the entire globe. FlyOver kicks in when available, offering greater 3D detail.

So Apple has both--and you don't even have to think about or enable anything (unlike the special mode that is Street View).

fawlty

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
New Zealand
It's not much good when you cannot use Siri for locations in New Zealand. Apple mapping would have to be the biggest stuff up Apple has produced.:confused:

It's way better than it was.

"How far to Auckland?"
"Guide me to Palmerston North"
"Rotorua"

All that's missing are restaurants and businesses, right?

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Actually, Apple Maps has satellite imagery and 3D terrain for the entire globe. FlyOver kicks in when available, offering greater 3D detail.
I am talking about the tilt view in Google Maps which give you something similar to Flyover for the entire globe, with usually more recent imagery.
Flyover does indeed offer greater 3D details (most of the time) but it's only available in a few cities around major landmarks, while Google Maps offer it everywhere.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
There is still a non-existant bank down my road. Maybe in a few decades Apple will be ready to roll maps out of beta.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I'm sorry but:
Street View - very useful
Flyover - gimmicky.

I'm sorry too, because for me they're both useful.

• Flyover for its speed.
  • Streetview for detail.

I was recently in Rome for the first time (beautiful city) and Flyover was my main navigation tool when wandering the streets. Streetview is great for intricate detail but navigation would've been too slow when on the go.

Like I say though, they're both useful in different situations, no need to pick and choose - we have access to both on iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.