Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parallels today announced the launch of Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac, the latest version of the company's software for running alternate operating systems like Windows in virtual environments on the Mac. The new version is available today as an upgrade for existing customers, and it will launch on August 26 for new customers.

Parallels Desktop 10 offers a bevy of new features and enhancements, including OS X Yosemite support, iCloud Drive and iPhoto Library support and battery life and performance speed optimizations. The main new features of Desktop 10 include:
- Mac OS X Yosemite integration, iPhone calling integration, iCloud Drive and iPhoto Library support
- Now with one click users can select from a number of choices to optimize their virtual machine based on what their primary usage is: productivity, games, design or development.
- The new Parallels Control Center is a one-stop-shop for managing Parallels Desktop; it allows users to manage all their virtual machines and configuration settings from a single place.
- Users can share files, text or web pages from Windows using Internet accounts configured on their Mac such as Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo, Flickr; or send them via email, AirDrop and Messages.
- Users can drag and drop files to Mac OS X virtual machines.
- Users can now open Windows documents up to 48 percent faster.
- Battery life is now extended by up to 30 percent, giving people additional work time when they need it most.
Upgrade pricing for users of Parallels Desktop 8 or 9 is $49.99, while standard retail pricing is set at $79.99 for regular users and $39.99 for students. Parallels Desktop 10 customers also receive a free three-month subscription to Parallels Access that allows Windows and Mac users to use their machines from their iPads.

Article Link: Parallels Desktop 10 with OS X Yosemite and iCloud Drive Support Launches for Existing Customers

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Wow, I literally just purchased Parallels Desktop 9 slightly over a month ago. This sucks. :(

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
So, while Apple has started giving me free upgrades every year, Parallels is going down the path of forcing me into what amounts to an annual subscription. On three different machines. I don't need "new features" from my virtualization software. I just need you to support what I've already paid for.

Jack wads.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
So, while Apple has started giving me free upgrades every year, Parallels is going down the path of forcing me into what amounts to an annual subscription. On three different machines. I don't need "new features" from my virtualization software. I just need you to support what I've already paid for.

Jack wads.

Why, does Parallels Desktop 9 have bugs that they aren't fixing or things that need updating? I'm currently using VMWare Fusion 5 for Windows and VirtualBox for FreeBSD, by the way. Fusion 5 is one version behind but doesn't seem to have any issues other than maybe being slower than Parallels.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
$79.99 new/$49.99 upgrade for what is essentially a one-year rental, as another upgrade will be required next year. What a ripoff.

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010

Jack wads.

Annoying certainly, but if you think of Apple as a hardware company and Parallels as a software company...

RedWeasel

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
So, while Apple has started giving me free upgrades every year, Parallels is going down the path of forcing me into what amounts to an annual subscription. On three different machines.
Apple sells hardware. The software is a give-away you get with the hardware.

I don't need "new features" from my virtualization software. I just need you to support what I've already paid for.
So what? Just stay on Parallels 9 on Mavericks, where is the problem? This is what you've paid for and it's still working fine.

abugbitme

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Done with Parallels...

I'm not paying for any more of their "upgrades". Had I known that it was going to cost me 100 to 200 bucks a year for their software on my machines I never would have bought it to start with.

Back to Bootcamp for the very few things i need to do in Windows, or maybe I'll buy and older PC for next to nothing.

VeryVito

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008

Jack wads.

Agreed. Parallels was a great utility when it appeared years ago, but now it feels more like a long con.

After Parallels 9 was rendered useless to me for months following an OS X update, I swore off the annual donation to its cause and switched back to VMWare Fusion. No regrets so far. (A show-stopping bug that went acknowledged but unfixed resulted in guest OS X hosts' refusing to show anything other than a blank screen for months).

I tried to keep loving it (I've been a used since its introduction), but I can test IE (what else would you use it for?) on VirtualBox, CrossOver, VMWare and other solutions with a lot less headache these days.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Every time we talk about Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office 360 there's a great wailing cry from the masses: We don't want subscriptions! Let us buy what we want, when we want it!

Yeah. What a bunch of BS that is.

'Cause here's that and guess what? Still a bitch-fest.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
If you want to upgrade to the latest version of OS X.

As far as I know, the old ones are compatible with the newer versions of OS X. At least that's how it was with Mavericks. The system requirements for Desktop 9 state "OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or later, OS X Lion 10.7.4 or later, or Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.8 or later."

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The way Parallels and Fusion keep leap froging each other I would fully expect Fusion the be announce very quickly as in days or weeks.

Back to Bootcamp for the very few things i need to do in Windows, or maybe I'll buy and older PC for next to nothing.

Can you not use VirtualBox for the limited needs it would appear that you have? Not as polished as Parallels or Fusion but for free it is hard to beat.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Annoying certainly, but if you think of Apple as a hardware company and Parallels as a software company...

Software companies release something called patches and bug fixes, not upgrade requirements to keep their software working.

----------

Every time we talk about Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office 360 there's a great wailing cry from the masses: We don't want subscriptions! Let us buy what we want, when we want it!

Yeah. What a bunch of BS that is.

'Cause here's that and guess what? Still a bitch-fest.

WTF you talking about. Parallels is also selling a subscription and purposely ignoring to advertise it as such. Someone that purchased the software just a MONTH ago is SOL if they upgrade to Yosemite.

----------

As far as I know, the old ones are compatible with the newer versions of OS X. At least that's how it was with Mavericks. The system requirements for Desktop 9 state "OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or later, OS X Lion 10.7.4 or later, or Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.8 or later."

They're not, it'll be 6 months+ before they update ver9 to work on Yosemite. People don't buy their software to use half the year.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
last year they released an update for parallels 8 to support mavericks. (just didn't announce it very loudly)

i'm sure they'll do the same for 9 this year.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Interesting that their default configurations have changed a bit. For instance, all VMs now seem to be assigned at least 2 CPUs by default, whereas they previously recommended only assigning one unless you were using a specific highly multithreaded application.

In addition, if you use the gaming, testing, or CAD/design configuration, it defaults to assigning ALL your RAM and CPUs to the VM. I assume they're more confident in their ability to automatically balance resources between the host and guest systems if they're setting a default like this…

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
These product launch videos with this cutesy music are seriously tired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.