Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Throughout the past few months, a number of design drawings, physical mockups, and component leaks have hinted at a protruding camera ring camera on the iPhone 6. Initial rumors indicated that the physical feature would be exclusive to the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6, however recent photos of the 4.7-inch version's rear shell may indicate that it will also include a protruding camera ring.

Now, an alleged schematic shared by Apple.club.tw (Google Translate, via G for Games) once again shows a protruding camera ring on the back of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, which is measured at 0.67-0.77 millimeters. The website also claims that the phone will be 7 millimeters thick, which lines up with the most recent leak showing off the device's rear shell and front panel for the first time.

protruding_ring_schematic.jpg
Additionally, it is claimed that the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 has been given a codename of N56, while the 5.5-inch version is known as N61. This is in line with the code names of prior iPhones, as the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 was known as N92. However, no additional evidence suggests that N56 and N61 are the exact code names of both iPhone 6 models.

Apple will unveil the iPhone 6 on September 9, with a launch for the 4.7-inch version likely coming about a week or so after. It is possible that the 5.5-inch model may launch alongside its smaller counterpart, however production issues may push back its release until late next year or 2015.

Both models of the iPhone 6 will likely incorporate a faster A8 processor, a thinner, rounded chassis, and iOS 8. The camera on the iPhone 6 will also be improved, featuring a unified, round dual-LED "True Tone" flash and some form of image stabilization.

Article Link: Alleged Schematic Shows Protruding Camera Ring on 4.7-Inch iPhone 6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are we getting so thin now that components are sticking out of the phone.

How thin is too thin, I think we have our answer.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
I hope not, that's the worst part of the iPod touch. I'd like to say Apple wouldn't but they already have with the iPod... dang

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
I don't have any problems with the protruding camera especially if (*speculation alert*) the ring is going to be made with some un-scratchable liquid metal alloy...

but oh boy... I can't get used to those hideous white bands...

Last edited:

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I don't have any problems with the protruding camera but oh boy... I can't get used to those hideous white bands...

Apple's new style is "make something that is ugly, adamantly defend it until everybody claims it's modern and clean".

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I simply don't understand the rationale (other than making the device as slim as possible). It's going to make for a rocky surface and, regardless of how durable, will seemingly only damage the lens much easier.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
Your phone now wobbles when laying on a desk.

Amazing, every detail has been considered!

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
Well I guess it's official then. I hope it at least comes with a very good optical stabilisation to compensate for this.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't see the problem with a protruding camera, they have Sapphire covering them so its unlikely to get damaged.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
As a current user of a Nokia Lumia 1020, a tiny protruding camera won't bother me at all. Many phones like the Galaxy S5 and Note 3 have a slight camera bump as well. I'm more worried about battery life at this point.

Putzytart

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2014
RAGE

This is one of the main reasons I don't like most android handset designs. Protruding lenses are just so ugly.

Maybe they'll sell a flush design back to us with the 6S. And get rid of those horrid antenna bands. Loving the rest of the design however. 'Close but no cigar'

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
I am really looking forward to the 'story' that justifies those antenna bands (nope I can't get over it). It should go something like "Reception is now WAY better than on any previous iPhone". My hope is that the bands will be way less visible on the black version.

And yeah, I know—I will probably put the phone in a case. Unfortunately Apple has taught me that the inside of gadgets should be as beautiful as the outside.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
They'd better gone towards a clear protrusion of e.g. 1 or 2 mm, to indicate it is intended. With only 0,67mm the user may get the impression that production quality is lacking:

"I can't really see it, but I definitely can feel it - my camera lens is not sitting completely flush with the body! Is this production tolerance enough to claim a replacement from Apple?". :rolleyes:

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Just make it bloody thick enough to not have to have a protruding camera and we'll all enjoy the better battery life.

Seriously, are Apple this out of touch with what the majority of people want since Steve Jobs died? Does Jony Ive live in his own little bubble where "thinness" is the be-all and end-all of everything at the expense of performance and usability?

I guess Apple are getting desperate for a USP with the iPhone rapidly falling behind on spec sheets to competitors and being thinner than them is the only trump area left.

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
So they could have used .7 of a millimeter to make people happy und give this thing a larger battery instead they going for thinness, at this point a thing only marketing people care about. Oh Dear. What an afterthought.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I'm going to contradict myself here but here goes:

I don't care if it has a protruding camera but it had better be a bloody good camera!

Also, I'm not sure what you do with your iPhone but I normally look at the front where the screen is and not at the back so the fact it might stick out a little, as I've already said, doesn't bother me.

Finally, I never lay my iPhone on a table so no wobbling for me.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
They'd better gone towards a clear protrusion of e.g. 1 or 2 mm, to indicate it is intended. With only 0,67mm the user may get the impression that production quality is lacking:

"I can't really see it, but I definitely can feel it - my camera lens is not sitting completely flush with the body! Is this production tolerance enough to claim a replacement from Apple?". :rolleyes:

Interesting that 0.67mm is looking like how much thinner the iPhone 6 is than the iPhone 5/5S... No-one ever complained about the 5 being too thick... They complained about battery life. Let's fix what's not broke and **** the rest! :)

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Are we getting so thin now that components are sticking out of the phone.

How thin is too thin, I think we have our answer.

Too thin will probably be the iPhone 7 design where a la MacPro, you will just buy the screen and a bunch of connectors to externally connect batteries, antennas, microphones and speakers... Full expandability, versatile design and sexy sleek looks... You don't need a camera?? You simply remove it altogether!!!

What more we want from our life!!

This is going to be the next big thing and also the new iOS: iOS 9: Octopus

Last edited:

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I don't have any problems with the protruding camera especially if (*speculation alert*) the ring is going to be made with some un-scratchable liquid metal alloy...

but oh boy... I can't get used to those hideous white bands...

While I already love them!:)

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
By the way, from what I can see here, the protruding camera is on a bevelled area and does not create problems when the phone lies flat on a table..

iphone6assembled4.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.