Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The National Football League earlier this month officially launched its NFL Now service, its next-generation video streaming service that provides access to the largest digital library of NFL videos available online. The video content can be viewed on the iPhone, iPad, Mac (via a web browser) and other connected devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and as of today, the Apple TV channel that was leaked earlier in the month.

nfl_now_apple_tv_live.jpg
The NFL Now service delivers historic videos, breaking news, game highlights and original programming from the NFL Now studios. Personalization is a key feature -- allowing users to follow their favorite players and teams, with up to 4,800 minutes of team coverage being pushed across their screens each week. The service also will provide live video coverage of important press events and other important moments from the NFL. It will not live stream NFL games that are in progress. Customers who want to watch games as they are happening must download the NFL Mobile app [Direct Link].

NFL Now is available in two tiers, with the free NFL Now service providing access to the core news and video content. Football fans who want even more content and personalization can subscribe to the $1.99 monthly NFL Now Plus service, which offers instant in-game highlights, access to NFL Films videos and the ability to create custom video streams featuring their favorite teams or players.

iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users can download the NFL Now app [Direct Link] from the iOS App Store for free. Mac users can get their fill of NFL coverage via the NFL Now website, while Apple TV channels can access the new channel directly from the main screen on their set-top boxes.

Article Link: 'NFL Now' Launches on Apple TV With Breaking Football News and Highlights

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Wait, did I read that right? A channel that gives you a channel-only subscription model? There are precious few of these, and I don't care what content they're delivering, I support this model.

roobarb666

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
come on Apple

who cares!! we want iplayer and spotify, give us something worthwhile....pleaaaase. A great piece of hardware but not very well supported for the UK

oh yes and please re-add a volume control!

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
News and Highlights

So...a collocation of 3 minute clips? I suppose at $1.99/month I wouldn't expect much else, but still... it seems more fitting for a youtube channel than a monthly service.

Ah well, I guess now Apple can add "NFL" to the list of things you can access on the Apple TV... never mind what everybody will assume that means. :rolleyes:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
So...a collocation of 3 minute clips? I suppose at $1.99/month I wouldn't expect much else, but still... it seems more fitting for a youtube channel than a monthly service.

Ah well, I guess now Apple can add "NFL" to the list of things you can access on the Apple TV... never mind what everybody will assume that means. :rolleyes:

i was hoping to get the full episodes of these and then EXTRAS for $1.99/month.
not simply pay $2 a month to see everything.

that stinks. i was excited but will pass.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
1 more step towards Sunday Ticket. I can't wait for Directv to lose that deal.

I couldn't agree more. NFL games are the only reason I subscribe to DirecTV. If it wasn't for that, I would have cut the cord a long time ago.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
another in a set of useless major US sports apps. the super fans may like the instant replay and highlights, but they've gotta get off this old model of not allowing online streaming of live games. i know they kind of do in some cases, but then they don't for people in the team's media market, which never made sense to me. why would i buy an expensive online subscription when i can't even watch my home team.

more of a general sports and online content rant, but this nfl app seems more of the same. just let us watch the games we want to online, please.

eiuro

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
This is a welcomed step in the right direction. We are getting closer to a la carte style TV streaming. Pay x amount of dollars for the specific channels you want only. This is great!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Haha, never going to happen, better buy an HD Antenna and hope and pray the signal doesn't cut out every 2-3 seconds.

Strange, maybe you should trek over to antennaweb and figure out what the RIGHT antenna is for your area. By buying the right antenna, I rarely every have problems with signal (no worse than having a dish anyway). I've been Cable free for 2+ years and have saved about $2k.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I don't understand why I can get Sunday Ticket for my Mac, but not for the Apple TV. DirecTV should be figuring out they could deliver their entire service over the internet instead of via satellite dishes. Use their competitors' (Comcast etc.) bandwidth to sell their own service!

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Baby steps....

The Apple TV -subscription model is taking shape surely, but slowly. Of course the content is important, but i believe that iTV is going to be much bigger, and more advanced, than any one of us can even imagine.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.