Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Some of these rumors are just getting absurd. If the Air gets it, the Mini will too. Only variation between the two we might continue to see moving forward is the processor dialed back a bit on mini, most likely due to the size and heat considerations. Everything else will almost assuredly be comparable between the two devices.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Or it may not. Or it may get 4GB. Or it may get Touch ID. Or it may not.

I know this is MacRumors, but it's kind of a bummer when all the rumors are derivative of existing features and/or specs. I guess the price of being an Apple fan is recognizing the reality of lowered expectations after years of genuine surprises.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Memory is cheap and very useful. It's time to start adding more to iOS devices.

bobbytheninja

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
I've decided I won't be upgrading my iPad Air this time around. I think the Air is the best state the iPad has been in and I'm not gonna fork out for a new one just for TouchID (although it'll be a welcome and logical addition).

That being said, I am an iPhone 5s owner and will be upgrading to the iPhone 6 purely because it's probably my most used device and because...ooh, shiny! I'll also be first in line for an iWatch!

meanwhile in africa lol :rolleyes:

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
My ipad 3 seems to work fine with 1gb of ram so why need the upgrade?

Well, it may run ok now, but technology keeps progressing. A next gen iPad Air will be expected to receive iOS updates and run them well for years to come -- that's where 2GB of RAM comes into play.

Features like split-screen multitasking will make good use of it. Besides, it's not as if an extra gig of RAM is all that expensive or difficult to integrate on a SOC. Plenty of phones do it just fine already.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
... and suddenly a late 80s early 90s fashion item resurfaces from the ashes... The RAM T-SHIRT :D

RAM.jpg

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Revolutionary!

Who said apple can't innovate?!

I'm betting on a touch sensor too.

Let me check in with the analysists 1st! :apple:

Jack snakeskin

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
Apple doesn't like memory fragmentation between ios devices, either everyone gets the bump or no one (I think..)

cesjr

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
My iPad Air is a fantastic tablet. I really don't see the need to upgrade this cycle. Unless a revamped multitasking/multi-window in iOS8 slows it down significantly.

Plus I already have a few Apple products on my wishlist this year. iPhone 6 for sure, Apple TV (likely), iWatch (maybe.)

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Why not put more in it?

The new Samsung Tab S has 3gb and is 6.6mm with 8 CPU cores and sells for the same amount as current gen "entry" level iPad Air's and Mini's.

I thought Apple was trying to at least catch up to their competition these days.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I don't think Apple could compel me to upgrade my iPad Air this year. Or even next. It's pretty well perfect for my needs. Unless it meets an untimely end, I couldn't justify it--I'm happy.

Last edited:

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
RAM is super cheap and doesn't impact energy or size significantly. Until you start pushing the envelope of what DDR3L can do (which no one is doing) adding more memory is literally a win-win situation.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Some of these rumors are just getting absurd. If the Air gets it, the Mini will too. Only variation between the two we might continue to see moving forward is the processor dialed back a bit on mini, most likely due to the size and heat considerations. Everything else will almost assuredly be comparable between the two devices.

Yeah it seems odd that Apple would do this. I'm hoping they don't or if they do it's because the Air is going to have features that the mini doesn't (things that make more sense on a larger display like split screen multitasking). But if they do it just to create artificial differentiation (when they basically got rid of it last year) then that will be disappointing. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.