Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While we've seen dozens of part leaks for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, parts for the rumored 5.5-inch version of the device have thus far been scarce, possibly due to the fact that the larger iPhone 6 is said to have entered production later than the 4.7-inch iPhone 6.

Photos depicting what might be the rear shell of the larger device have finally surfaced, however, and have been shared by Evasi0nJailbreak.com. According to the site, the photos have been sourced from "deep within Apple's supply chain in China," and may be only a prototype of the final rear shell.

rearshell2.jpg
Outside of 5.5-inch iPhone 6 rear shell compared to inside of 4.7-inch rear shell

That said, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 rear shell images, which are compared in the photos to the rear shell of a 4.7-inch iPhone, do resemble early images of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 rear shell, depicting thick antenna breaks, a rounded True Tone flash, a cutout for an embedded Apple logo, the camera, and the microphone.

rearshell1.jpg
Inside of 5.5-inch iPhone 6 rear shell compared to outside of 4.7-inch rear shell

More convincingly, the screw holes on the rear shell image accurately match up with the screw holes on an earlier leaked image of a logic board said to be for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, so this may be our first look at a true 5.5-inch iPhone 6 rear shell.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPhone 6 at an event on September 9, but it is unclear whether the company will show off both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models at the same time. If the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 does make an appearance at the event, it may not ship to customers until several months after the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 ships due to production delays.

Article Link: Photo of Possible 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Rear Shell Surfaces

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
It does exist!!
(they do exist)

(reminds me of the m&m's commercial with santa. Stay tuned, it's out at Christmas time)

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
If Apple really does show the 5.5" version I'll be in line the day of release and put my iPhone 5 up on eBay.

creanium

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
There's no way this is legit! There is no way Apple would ever release a device that ugly with those thick bands! I will not be purchasing this phone if that's what it looks like! It's like, "geez Apple, can't you get by the laws of physics and just eliminate the bands all together?" Or go back to an all-plastic phone again, that way I don't have to look at the ugly bands on my phone even if it's going to live in a case anyway

[/s]

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I really hope the 5.5" is real and releases at the same time as the 4.7". If it truly has a ~2900mAh battery, sign me up!

tumblr_m8do7xrJIG1qf8btso1_400.gif

:apple:

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Anyone thinking of getting both and selling the one they don't want to keep? I theoretically want the 5.5, but for daily usage the 4.7 may be the one I really prefer.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
FWIW 9to5Mac is reporting that the 5.5 will not have production delays and is going into production alongside the 4.7.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Haha, I think 1080p is going to have to delete it account (or stop using it, if he hasn't already).

I really don't know what to believe any more. If it exists, that's great, more options. Still don't know which one I'd get given the choice. Guess it depends if the 5.5 is a "luxury" phone or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.