Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's supply chain is scrambling to get enough displays ready for the iPhone 6 ahead of its launch next month, reports Reuters.

iphone6frontpanel.jpg
Front panel said to be from the 4.7-inch iPhone 6​
The report notes that production issues were made prevalent when the backlight film for the device's display panel had to be redesigned, halting production for two months:
Two supply chain sources said display panel production suffered a setback after the backlight that helps illuminate the screen had to be revised, putting screen assembly on hold for part of June and July. One said Apple, aiming for the thinnest phone possible, initially wanted to cut back to a single layer of backlight film, instead of the standard two layers, for the 4.7-inch screen, which went into mass production ahead of the 5.5-inch version.
After the backlight film component was revised, Apple reportedly rejected it and went back to add the second layer to the panel causing a delay. As it stands, production of the display has resumed as suppliers are attempting to work quickly to make up for lost time before the device's launch.

Concerns over the iPhone 6's backlight design surfaced last month from supply chain, which also suggested that Apple's desire to use only one backlight film to minimize the size of the handset would cause production delays. Current generation iPhone displays are supplied by Minebea and use two layers in order to improve readability in these backlit displays.

In a single layer setup for the device's display, one layer has to be of a very high quality to take the place of the standard second layer. To meet the demand for the part, Apple had allegedly gone to OMRON and Radian to add them as suppliers alongside Minebea, however the outcome of that effort is not known. Previous reports of production issues surrounding the iPhone 6 had pinpointed challenges with the device's in-cell touch panel and metal casings.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at an event on September 9, with a launch for the 4.7-inch version likely come a week later. It is unclear if the 5.5-inch version will ship at the same time, as Apple is also said to be experiencing other production issues with the larger device. Both models of the iPhone 6 will likely feature a thinner, rounded chassis and incorporate a new A8 processor, a refined camera, and iOS 8.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers 'Scrambling' to Produce Enough iPhone 6 Displays After Issues With New Backlight

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Wasn't Cook supposed to be the expert at this kind of thing? Between the ugly design and the supply issues, I Miss Jobs :(

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Wasn't Cook supposed to be the expert at this kind of thing? Between the ugly design and the supply issues, I Miss Jobs :(

The design won't be ugly. We haven't seen a finished model yet, but expect it to be sexy. Apple will make it that way. The lines will likely fit well with the metal in the finished product.

It's Apple. Design is core. :apple:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Great, issues with the back light. That makes me want to jump in on the pre-order line. Perhaps this time its not worthwhile to be on the bleeding edge.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
If this rumor is true, I presume a second layer would also consume more energy. Thus, you might see this as a cost of an obsession with thinness - delays, and reduced battery life.

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
One said Apple, aiming for the thinnest phone possible, initially wanted to cut back to a single layer of backlight film, instead of the standard two layers, for the 4.7-inch screen, which went into mass production ahead of the 5.5-inch version.
They're willing to torpedo the product over millimeters? :eek:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This just guarantees those who want to be holding an iPhone 6 on launch day will have to make sure they are at the front of the queues. If Apple doesn't do pre-orders I'll be camping out for sure.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Meh.
Expect a rushed product riddled with flaws and defects to satiate public demand.
Think we will ever see the day when a new iPhone doesn't come out every year? God forbid they take their time over say, 2 years!? Oh my! :rolleyes:

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
How about... Just checking if everything works before mass producing a whole bunch of them?

wilhelmer

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
One said Apple, aiming for the thinnest phone possible, initially wanted to cut back to a single layer of backlight film, instead of the standard two layers

Oh, the obsession. This is getting ridiculous.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
How about... Just checking if everything works before mass producing a whole bunch of them?

That's brilliant! You should email this to Tim ASAP.

..how people think they are smarter than Apple's best managers and executives.:mad:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

..how people think they are smarter than Apple's best managers and executives.:mad:

Now now marvz, it's quite obvious that the user knows all the ins-and-outs of Apple's supply chain, and isn't making pedantic remarks based on loose rumours. :rolleyes: ;)

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Meh.
Expect a rushed product riddled with flaws and defects to satiate public demand.
Think we will ever see the day when a new iPhone doesn't come out every year? God forbid they take their time over say, 2 years!? Oh my! :rolleyes:

You do realize that the numbered models are made over a 2 year period, right?

DoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
'Production issues' is the standard excuse for any vague 'delay' rumour. At some point Apple will have redesigned the backlight and the suppliers will have said that they can manufacture it to that specification. We'll see if there's any 'delay' in September.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I guess what Apple really meant with "'Can't innovate' my ass!" was actually "'Can't make it thinner!' my ass!". Because that's pretty much Apple's plans for iPhone innovation: make it slightly faster, slightly thinner and with a slightly better camera, and call it "revolutionary".

Well, people do have been saying for years that they want bigger iPhones... And now it looks like Apple's "best managers" agree those people were right! :eek:;)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Great, issues with the back light. That makes me want to jump in on the pre-order line. Perhaps this time its not worthwhile to be on the bleeding edge.

My thought exactly. Maybe wait until November and see what issues there are. If there are issues maybe they will be resolved or at least addressed in a second 'batch'.

BriSpe

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
CH

Remember the white iPhone 4? Delayed for month? And I think Jobs were very much involved in that

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Well, people do have been saying for years that they want bigger iPhones... And now it looks like Apple's "best managers" agree those people were right! :eek:;)

But we are talking about supply chain management and production.
And I also don't think they agree with them, I think they just want more money and marketshare :p;)

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
It doesn't sound like faulty panels will get shipped, but rather because of a fault the factories are now behind on production. Which, considering Apple placed huuuggeee orders for iPhones, might not be as bad as first thought.

----------

Oh, the obsession. This is getting ridiculous.

I think it hit ridiculous level when Steve Jobs wanted the factory machines painted white, and kept so clean you could eat your dinner off them. However, that's why we love Apple, right?

wilhelmer

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
I think it hit ridiculous level when Steve Jobs wanted the factory machines painted white, and kept so clean you could eat your dinner off them. However, that's why we love Apple, right?

I'd take the obsession with white over the obsession with "function-follows-form-thinness" anyday.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Pump and dump. Now that Apple's stock price has gone up, we need some negative rumors for clicks and to cause Apple's stock price to go down so people who short the stock will make lots of money. Expect many more negative rumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.