Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a Sina News report (via ZDNet), China Telecom this week briefly announced plans to sell an unlocked version of the iPhone 6 in order to compete with rival carriers. The Sina report sources a Weibo post from China Telecom's Shanghai office that was posted earlier this week and later deleted.

The move suggests Apple is planning to sell a version of the iPhone 6 that will support all wireless networks in the country, including dual 4G (TDD-LTE and FDD-LTE), WCDMA, CDMA2000, GSM, and CDMA1X. This opens up LTE to China Telecom subscribers and makes the country's number three carrier more competitive with its bigger rivals China Unicom and China Mobile.

Apple currently sells three different models each of the iPhone 5s and 5c in China in order to accommodate the different technologies used by the country's carriers. But with updated modem and antenna technology for the iPhone 6, Apple may be able to streamline its model lineup to more efficiently support the various carrier technologies.

china-telecom-iphone6-ad.jpg
As part of its advertisement, China Telecom used an iPhone 6 rendering from a Behance gallery posted early last month by Tomas Moyano and Nicolas Aichino. The renderings have been fairly popular around the web, including in our own stories, but differ from most recent leaks in some aspects such as omitting a protruding camera ring and showing rear shells featuring different colors at top and bottom.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at a press event to be held in early September. The handset may include larger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch display options, a faster A8 processor, an improved iSight camera and a new Touch ID sensor. Sales of the 4.7-inch version are expected to begin at the end of September, with the 5.5-inch model launching either alongside or up to several months later than the smaller model.

Article Link: China Telecom iPhone 6 Ad Suggests Simplified Model Lineup for Different Carrier Technologies

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
In this picture the thing actually looks very nice!
(pity it's a fake...)

luhab

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
They are SOOOO much more likeable

and beautiful than the actual leaked Foxconn-images...

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Antenna breaks are so much thinner! The thick bands always bothered me in the previous "leaked" photos. This seems more Apple.

EDIT: never mind, they're meaningless renderings.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Really hope these are the actual phones. Flush camera and black lines on the black phone.

Those are not actual phones... They're renders. The camera on the iPhone 6 will protrude. How is it that hard to believe considering the iPod touch has a protruding camera?

You can tell it's a render because the antenna bands are totally different than the ACTUAL leaked shells/parts we've seen.

Last edited:

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
I think I am not the only one that isnt interested in the news but the picture/mockup?

I wish I could see the black one . Much more interesting than the ugly leaks with the antenna breaks ... Bah

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Is it a design choice that the plastic antenna covers don't match in color? Bugs me it's 2014 and they choose not to color match the plastic with the aluminum. Felt the same way with the 2007 iPhone black plastic. :(

Last edited:

ncbill

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2002
So just to clarify:

in the U.S. one model (of each size size) of the new iPhone 6 will support all carriers?

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Is it a design choice that the plastic antenna covers don't match in color? Bugs me it's 2014 and they choose not to color match the plastic with the aluminum. Felt the same way with the 2007 iPhone black plastic. :(

Yeah no... You can't really match the textured look of anodised aluminium with plastic. What they're doing is the best way to go and is stylish, matching the colours would make it look tacky.

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
You'd have to think the renders will turn out to be more the finish of the actual product than the scruffy, amalgamated-parts images.

Anyway... black me up, baby.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013

It's just a rendering. It's not an official iphone.

----------

If that's what the black one ends up looking like, I'll take one. But I still don't think the overall shape looks all that fancy compared to a 4/4S/5/5S.

I'm hoping the final product looks more polished and jewelry-like in the same way the last several generations of iphones looked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.