Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We were at an upscale restaurant yesterday (a step up from our usual fare) so I tried something that sounded interesting: a salmon pastrami sandwich. It also had avocado, tomatoes, not sure what else in there, but not bacon. However, I was surprised to find it had a bit of a bacon taste. Why would this be?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Doctor Q said:
We were at an upscale restaurant yesterday (a step up from our usual fare) so I tried something that sounded interesting: a salmon pastrami sandwich. It also had avocado, tomatoes, not sure what else in there, but not bacon. However, I was surprised to find it had a bit of a bacon taste. Why would this be?
I have no idea, but my mouth is watering thinking of that sandwich. Was it good? Sounds like it would be.

Every time this thread comes up my cholesterol count goes up...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
emw said:
I have no idea, but my mouth is watering thinking of that sandwich. Was it good? Sounds like it would be.
Yes it was good. I was a little surprised, because I didn't know that you could apply the pastrami process to salmon, so I was just taking a chance for the sake of trying something new. I guess the pepper or other spices gave it the bacon flavor. I'm sorry I didn't save you some, emw.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
I made the best thing at like midnight lastnight. It was bacon covered in maple syrup, sandwiched between two slices of french toast. Girlfriend and roommate loved it.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
pimentoLoaf said:
Admit it: you love the stuff.

Oh I love it. I assure you. I love the stuff.

Attachments

• burger.jpg
    burger.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 321

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Travel report: They have bacon in Japan. Many restaurants serve eggs with, or on, their featured meals, and some come with bacon too.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
pimentoLoaf said:
Admit it: you love the stuff.

I have not had it in many years for health reasons, but it has that addictive power. This thread is entitled bacon, the originator is pimentoLoaf ... at this time, this forum needs new members with the following screen names: High Cholesterol, Clogged Arteries and Bypass Surgery. As the Fox News people like to say, we want to keep things fair and balanced.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
MongoTheGeek said:
Sad news.

My wife bought a 10# display pack of bacon at Sams. We were out of town for thanksgiving and about 1/3 of it went moldy in the fridge.

We were devastated. We couldn't even bear to have a proper send off.

:sob:
You have my sympathies. :(

One time in college, a friend bet that I couldn't eat more than two plates of bacon (from the cafeteria too, no less).

Final result: 2 plates, 44 slices of bacon, and one weekend where I could "hear my heart beating".

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. ;)

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
stonyc said:
You have my sympathies. :(

One time in college, a friend bet that I couldn't eat more than two plates of bacon (from the cafeteria too, no less).

Final result: 2 plates, 44 slices of bacon, and one weekend where I could "hear my heart beating".

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. ;)

44 slices of bacon. Hmm thats what 2# precooked maybe. I think I've done about that much hurt at Eat&Park's breakfast buffet.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Ah reminds me of a scene from Pulp Fiction.. Censored for your protection

mmmmm Bacon

Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherf******. Pigs sleep and root in sh*t. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got enough sense enough to disregard its own faeces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' motherf******' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
One thing i love is the large scallops wrapped in bacon and then slapped on the grill mmmmm

I want summer back... damn this thread..

Ed

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I'm soo down with the turkey bacon. Whomever decided that would be alright was a enious*. Sorry I'm on a public keyboard and the letter that comes after F is broken.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
This morning it feels like bacon on biscuit day due to the snow/ice in the ground at Uni. Unfortunately, I don't have either one :(

I settled with cold cereal instead.

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
Fake products made from turkey.

jared_kipe said:
I'm soo down with the turkey bacon. Whomever decided that would be alright was a enious*. Sorry I'm on a public keyboard and the letter that comes after F is broken.
Just the thought of turkey bacon, burgers, sausage, etc. makes me nauseous. If you can't have the real thing, why bother?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.