Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
The colored glass looks so much better than the matching aluminum inside of those plastic bands.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Yeah no... You can't really match the textured look of anodised aluminium with plastic. What they're doing is the best way to go and is stylish, matching the colours would make it look tacky.

Matching colours wouldn't necessarily work out great, but the white bands we've seen look terrible. It creates a gaudy contrast between the aluminum center piece and the bands surrounding it. Black bands would look better on the silver model than white. It's a shame that these renders aren't representative of the phone. The design looks so much better without the island of aluminum. Hopefully the plastic we've seen on the backs so far as been a place holder, and a more tasteful material/colour is in its place on the shipping product.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
I could have sworn there were no glass panels on the back, not same as iPhone 5. Perhaps if the panels are in fact aluminum on the shipping model the bands need to be wider to reduce interference. Note that two insulated aluminum spots means two more antennas.

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I don't see the protruding camera ring. It makes me question the legitimacy of the story.

I think you actually need to read the story to be qualified to judge the legitimacy of it.

It boggles the mind to see how many people completely disregarded that the picture in the article is a third-party concept/rendering.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah no... You can't really match the textured look of anodised aluminium with plastic. What they're doing is the best way to go and is stylish, matching the colours would make it look tacky.

One of the rules in design that I have heard is that if you can't match a color to a color, then go completely opposite.
Trying to match the color of one material to a different material and being off just looks cheap and tacky.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
I think you actually need to read the story to be qualified to judge the legitimacy of it.

It boggles the mind to see how many people completely disregarded that the picture in the article is a third-party concept/rendering.

index.php

muzzymate

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Interesting that it appears to have a button on the same side as the camera. Volume rockers have been on the opposite side of the camera.

A photo snap button perhaps? That's on the right side of the camera so videos and photos don't end upside down when viewed on a Windows machine?

If lens protrude, i will not buy.
so simple

Agreed. Just make the phone an extra half millimeter thicker if that's the case. A protruding lens will make it much more vulnerable to breakage, scratches, etc.

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
If lens protrude, i will not buy.
so simple

I think the lens protrusion will offer a number of benefits that may make it more useful than an annoyance. Most notably a better camera and the option for magnetic lens attachments.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I know we are all led to believe this is concept but so was everything else no?

This type of white banding makes so much more sense than all the none sense looking that's been featured on line lately.

I like the way this phone looks a LOT

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I could have sworn there were no glass panels on the back, not same as iPhone 5. Perhaps if the panels are in fact aluminum on the shipping model the bands need to be wider to reduce interference. Note that two insulated aluminum spots means two more antennas.

thats just a concept render

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I know we are all led to believe this is concept but so was everything else no?

This type of white banding makes so much more sense than all the none sense looking that's been featured on line lately.

I like the way this phone looks a LOT

"This type of white banding" is also completely unreal and doesn't take into account the reality of radio transmission and manufacturing processes.

It's easy to make a render that looks like anything you want, but it doesn't mean it's feasible in practice. I highly doubt that the thickness of the bands on the real iPhone 6 is an aesthetic decision.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
"This type of white banding" is also completely unreal and doesn't take into account the reality of radio transmission and manufacturing processes.

It's easy to make a render that looks like anything you want, but it doesn't mean it's feasible in practice. I highly doubt that the thickness of the bands on the real iPhone 6 is an aesthetic decision.

Yes, but we are also talking about apple products who believe in *not* creating ugly products..

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Pretty much what I'm expecting the phone to look like. It's the same renders that Spigen is using for their iP6 cases ads.

oRzZ7Vt.png

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
So are we thinking China Telecom did their own renders of the iPhone just to have placeholders when creating the ads or that these came from Apple? I would find the first hard to believe myself (why would they waste the time when official images are sure to come from Apple?) and, if they are supplied by Apple, why would they not be accurate?

Edit: I guess they could have grabbed renders from other sources as well (quick and easy, still act as placeholders until they get the proper images from Apple).

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Much prefer those bands to the one we've been seeing. Too bad they're renderings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.