Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_black_white.jpg
Apple has begun an iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program to replace the batteries of a small percentage of iPhone 5 units that have a faulty battery resulting in a shorter battery life and longer, more frequent charging times.

iPhone 5 devices exhibiting battery issues were sold between September of 2012 and January of 2013 and are eligible for a free battery replacement.
Apple has determined that a very small percentage of iPhone 5 devices may suddenly experience shorter battery life or need to be charged more frequently. The affected iPhone 5 devices were sold between September 2012 and January 2013 and fall within a limited serial number range.

If your iPhone 5 is experiencing these symptoms and meets the eligibility requirements noted below, Apple will replace your iPhone 5 battery, free of charge.
Apple says the issue affects only a "limited serial number range." iPhone 5 users can input their serial numbers on Apple's replacement site to find out whether their phones need a new battery. Those who do have a faulty battery can get a replacement through an Apple Authorized Service Provider, an Apple Retail Store, or through Apple Technical support.

Users who already paid to replace their batteries will be eligible to receive a refund for the cost of the battery from Apple. Apple's support site says the program covers iPhone 5 batteries for two years after the first retail sale of the unit or until March 1, 2015, whichever provides longer coverage. Replacements are available beginning today in the United States and China, with the program beginning in other countries on August 29.

In addition to the new Battery Replacement Program, Apple also has a replacement program for iPhone 5 units that have a faulty sleep/wake button, which also provides repairs at no cost. Some iPhone 5s units have also experienced faulty battery life but Apple opted to reach out individually to affected users rather than implementing a replacement program for those devices.

Article Link: Apple Initiates iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Thanks, I replaced it myself almost a year ago because it was out of warranty. Douches.

Honestly, they really had to wait two years after a product is released to acknowledge a bug when most people who were effected by it already replaced the batteries at their own expense when they started acting up a long time ago and dying at 30% charge?

EDIT: My bad, I see they refund if you already paid for it. Still though, they really took their sweet time on this one. How many people who don't read macrumors and paid for replacements will know about this or bother to do it and get their refund? Feels like apple did this late to ensure that most people who need replacement batteries already paid for them at their own expense.

Last edited:

floatworld

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
....and here I am, thinking this was a feature

I knew something was up with the iPhone 5 batteries. Apple took forever to acknowledge the problem when many people have wasted hours at the GB, restoring phones, losing data etc.

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Thoughts

For those wondering about "I've already paid for one" after you enter your serial number the system gives you instructions on what to do if you've already paid for one and the possibility of receiving a refund.

However, I'd rather they pay for the logic board I just replaced on my 2011 MacBook Pro. (mostly because I haven't had iPhone battery problems) :D

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Houston
Yep, mine is eligible...only 2 years late. I just the battery was crap. The phone will be at like 30% then just shut off all of the sudden. Definitely ready for the 6.

cptbill80

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
"The iPhone 5 serial number you entered is eligible for this program."
lucky me. my battery was suffering the last 6 months causing sudden shut down at even 20%. I had tried hard reset, setup as a new phone, nothing worked. And when i was about ready to buy a new battery...thank you Apple!

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
The iPhone 5 was definitely one of the most poorly made iPhones . I had to get mine exchanged FOUR times because of flurries of dead pixels .

The Slate colored phone looked horrible when the silver/aluminum would peak thru, then there's the sleep/wake button and now the battery .

Ouch .

HackerJL

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
What fresh hell is this. I replaced it on my phone 3 weeks ago...I type in the serial number and see its one of them...

awesome...

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
No, mine is not eligible. Purchased on the 1st date.
"The serial number you entered is not eligible under this program because either:
- It's not one of the serial numbers in the affected range
- Our records show that your battery has already been replaced. If you paid for a battery replacement service, check with Apple to see if you are eligible for a refund."

Clocksetbyfeel

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
California
Dang it!

Mine is "not eligible" but let me tell you. Realistically I get about 70-80% of battery life because the dang thing shuts off at around 20% every day. :( Waint on the six so whatever :rolleyes:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Ah, my girlfriend has been having frequent battery related issues with her 5. I'll check her serial number on the system, I think she'd be thrilled if she was eligible.

DePaulBlueDemon

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Stupid website is overloaded. My battery life has been total crap, especially the past few months. I thought 7.1 or 7.2 was the culprit. Or a rogue app. Went to bed last night with 22% of battery left, woke up with 1%. :(

Edit: Welp, not eligible.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Launch day Verizon iPhone 5 white 32GB here, not eligible. No problem with battery life though, never replaced. Sent from my Mac mini.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Wall hugger no more!

I'm eligible! That explains why my battery performance has been abysmal of late. I assumed it was the iOS 8 beta and didn't think more about it.

Quick question: Will I need to have iOS 7 before I get my appointment?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Not eligible here. Tons of dings and scratches in the weak anodizing on my black/slate though (use a case as well!).

ttravis78

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Mine is eligible. It says to back up, turn off find my iphone, and delete all contents and settings. Will the phone be erased when the battery is replaced?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.