Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new image said to be of a redesigned Apple USB power adapter has been shared by a user on Weibo (Google Translate, via Gizmobic), hinting that Apple's supposed new Lightning cable may be released alongside a new charger. The power adapter appears to be more rounded compared to Apple's current offering, and also includes grooves on each side to improve comfort while holding and inserting the accessory.

new_usb_charger.jpg
While it is possible that the product in the image could be of a fake, the charger does have the signature "Designed by Apple in California" text along with other applicable information and logos. The user also shows another image of the new Lightning cable with its reversible USB connector, which has been spotted in a number of other photos and even a video throughout the past few weeks.

If both new products turn out to be real, it is possible that Apple could ship a new Lightning cable and new USB power adapter alongside this fall's expected lineup of new iOS devices, possibly starting with the iPhone 6 next month.

Update: As pointed out by a user in our forums, the USB adapter shown in the images carries the same design as Apple's current 5W USB Power Adapter sold in Australia. However, the prongs on the new adapter in the photo are of Type A used in the United States and many other countries, perhaps indicating that the design could be soon applied to Apple's other power adapters in different countries.

Article Link: Image of Redesigned Apple USB Power Adapter Surfaces [Updated]

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
What would become of the world if we didn't know about this before it happened. :eek:

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Ooh. Looks legit. It's got the specs, legal info, and "white dot" plastic wrap that indicates where to unwrap it. Maybe these will be skinnier, to prevent blocking of power strip plugs?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If it's wider and thinner, I'm up for it. Though I wonder how man QC issues will arise with a new brick.

On an un-related note, does anyone know what the significance of the green dot on the current adapters? That's one of those curiosity-killed-the-cat things with me right now.

I wonder if samsung will rip this off as well.

They already have an adapter of similar shape. :p

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Perhaps it has more powerful internals to go along with USB 3.0 connection? Or is this wishful thinking?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Damn. Apple is redesigning, well, making modifications to all the iPhone's hardware. Looking good so far! I wish they could include black or white headphones to match the choice of iPhone you get.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Because it was so hard to unplug before and hurt everyone. :p

Not that it ruins my life, but yea sometimes! Especially if it's a tight plug or behind a dresser or something. I've probably tenderized a few fingers over the years.

Like improving the AppleCare hold music, or cleaning the layout of a MacBook box, it's the little things that make Apple, Apple!

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
This is good stuff. The current plug could definitely be narrower, in order to take up less space on a power strip. The square plug also feels somewhat dated.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
If it's wider and thinner, I'm up for it. Though I wonder how man QC issues will arise with a new brick.

On an un-related note, does anyone know what the significance of the green dot on the current adapters? That's one of those curiosity-killed-the-cat things with me right now.

They already have an adapter of similar shape. :p

when they launched that adapter with the 3G they had an issue with prongs pulling out. The green dot was added to signify an updated adapter.

https://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter/exchangeprogram/

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Looks like a step back from the current (EU) one...
(than again, an iPhone6 might need more power to rapidly charge, thus require a larger adapter)

423168_0_original.jpg

Last edited:

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005

Green dot represents v2.0 of the adapter. Product looks exactly the same on the exterior so they needed a way to show it. Small enough to not be too eye-popping but different enough to notice it.

Can't recall what the issue was before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.