Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid rumors of a new Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector and a redesigned power adapter from Apple, third-party vendor Moca.co is claiming that while the adapter may be ready for launch alongside the iPhone 6 next month, Apple is not yet ready to debut its new Lightning cable. Moca.co says that it is an MFi-certified vendor working with Apple's primary Lightning cable provider and that Apple has not yet placed any orders for the new cable.
We are informed by the Official Appointed Manufacturer of Apple that the new Reversible USB Cable will not be released together with upcoming iPhone 6 and Apple has not placed any order with them yet. Apple fans will not be able to get the MFi version of this revolutionary cable from Apple this year but that is not the end of the story.
According to Moca.co, the manufacturing partner has sent samples of the Lightning cable with reversible USB connector to Apple for approval, but Apple has yet to move forward with manufacturing orders. Even once it does, it will reportedly be several months before the cables are ready.

The redesigned power adapter may, however, be ready to launch with the iPhone 6, as Moca.co tells MacRumors the design has been confirmed and mass production is already underway. According to the report, the new adapter supports up to 2A of current, twice that of the current adapter shipping with the iPhone. The new adapter will reportedly be able to power all iPhone, iPod, and iPad mini models, with the redesign likely driven by the higher power requirements of the larger iPhone 6 models.

Moca.co's prototype adapter and cable based on Apple's designs
Moca.co is planning to offer its own versions of the cable and adapter from its MFi-licensed manufacturing partners, and is currently taking pre-orders with plans of October delivery if it can obtain a sufficient number of pre-orders to initiate production.

Article Link: Apple's Reversible USB-Lightning Cable Unlikely for iPhone 6, but New Adapter Possible

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
According to the report, the new adapter supports up to 2A of current, twice that of the current adapter shipping with the iPhone.

Only 2 watts shy of being able to also replace the larger iPad/iPad air chargers. Oh well, we can't have it all.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Jeez, the possibility of a new cable or adapter is vaguely reminiscent of the the… erm, excitement surrounding the imminent release of Lightning. I really hope they cover this in movie form as thoroughly as they treat Jobs' life:

lightningcablethemovie.png

Last edited by a moderator:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Whatever it is they release hopefully it will improve the charging speed, as well as a battery that lasts like the old nokias...

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Does anybody else think it's stupid to not have the USB symbol on both sides of the USB end of the cable? I already have a bunch of regular lightning cables. With this cable as-is, I'd have to check the inside of the connector to see if it's reversible just to be sure. In that time, I might as well just put it in, USB symbol up.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Boooo, They should just ship the iPad charger. Its fold in prongs are way nice for dropping in a bag and not snagging on stuff.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
When will there be a Thunderbolt to Lighting cable? The naming schemes seem like they go together, and it would finally give that port on my Mac something to do!

It would probably be priced at $60 a pop if Apple is feeling generous.

----------

Boooo, They should just ship the iPad charger. Its fold in prongs are way nice for dropping in a bag and not snagging on stuff.

They should stick a USB charging port on macbook chargers too. It would save so much hassle.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Does anybody else think it's stupid to not have the USB symbol on both sides of the USB end of the cable? I already have a bunch of regular lightning cables. With this cable as-is, I'd have to check the inside of the connector to see if it's reversible just to be sure. In that time, I might as well just put it in, USB symbol up.

First thing I thought seeing that video..

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
i already use to charge my iphone and ipad air from the ipad air charger

It will not charge any faster than a 1 amp charger that comes with the phone. My Note 3 draws 2 amps which takes a little under 2 hours to charge. My wifes iPhone 5 only pulls 1 amp so the same charger for my Note 3 or iPad will only give 1 amp; charging the phone in 2 hours.
If the iPhone 6 has a 2000mah battery with charging circuitry that can pull 2 amps that would give you 1 hour to charge give or take.

DaneGarver

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
USB reversible cable

I think this is great that Apple is ahead on this one, it's gonna happen anyway.
I am disturbed by the way the person on the video is pulling the cable out by it's strain relief; not good practice, and how many people are going to see this.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Who gives a sh|t! It's a cable. So now, just like health apps and health earbuds, we are going to have 1000 USB cables to choose from? I'll wait until Apple decides to change. I'm of high enough IQ that I can easily insert my USB cable into my MBP. If and when Apple adds the reversible cable with its products, I'll use it. Not going out and spending even $1 on a cable I don't need.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
How many times do you plug/unplug your lighting-cable into a USB port?

Mine usually stays connected to the power adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.