Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to the return of the iTunes Festival channel for Apple TV today ahead of September's concert series in London, Apple has also added a new Showtime Anytime channel to its set-top box.

showtime_anytime_atv_1.jpg
The Apple TV channel is a companion to the Showtime premium cable network and offers limited free content to all users. Most content, which includes live and on-demand shows and events, is limited to customers who subscribe to the network through a participating cable provider.

showtime_anytime_atv_2.jpg
Update 8:52 AM: As noted by Mac1 [Google Translate], Norwegian public television network NRK has also launched on Apple TV in that country.

Update 9:50 AM: Swedish public broadcaster SVT has also announced [Google Translate] the launch of its SVT Play channel for Apple TV.

Article Link: Premium Channel 'Showtime Anytime' Comes to Apple TV

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
wow

considering this has never had airplay I am surprised they made an ATV app, sweet!

sandler77

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
Finally!

I'll check this out later this evening to verify. Anyone know if DirecTV is one of the participating network providers? Will this finally solve the Showtime "anti-Airplay" scenario we've had to deal with for years now???

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I wonder if Apple has any plans to change the interface . You would think with all these channels they would update it by now ...

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I'll check this out later this evening to verify. Anyone know if DirecTV is one of the participating network providers? Will this finally solve the Showtime "anti-Airplay" scenario we've had to deal with for years now???

If its DirecTV, the chances are usually "no". Rarely does the cheap-azz DirecTV sign up for any of these streaming apps.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Thoughts on a la carte...

We traditional broadcasters only care about verifiable eyeballs. Something we can take to the local car dealer/grocer/ad agency/whoever and say "See! Advertise with us for X dollars and you'll be seen by Y many people!"

The cable companies invested (many times heavily) into the infrastructure (physical copper and fiber in the ground, the head-ends, etc.) and sold their subscribers' eyeballs to the networks. "See! Sign this agreement and we'll deliver X potential eyeballs and even Y amount of dollars to your revenue stream. Provided of course that you play by these rules which state you can't offer your services a la carte and cut us out of the deal."

One of the problems now is that the networks have grown accustomed to this revenue and ratings stream and are very nervous about possibly upsetting the hand that has fed them and provided for their growth for so many years.

Another problem is that cable is still an Oligopoly and, at least for the last-mile, its a monopoly based on who owns the physical cabling in the ground. Very little incentive for one company to change the business model when they're all enjoying the hayride.

Finally, the biggest reason Apple can't "just do what they did with iTunes, the iPod, and the recording industry", is that the cable TV industry has much tighter control than the recording industry did. You could copy tapes and CDs easily. You could import a CD, upload it to Napster, and share it easily. There really weren't many anti-copy safeguards because at some point, the audio signal had to become analog in order for an amplifier to push it through your speakers and into your ears. The record industry was losing their a$$e$ and couldn't see a solution until Steve came riding in on a white horse and saved them (while taking a nice % of each transaction, of course.) The result was a win-win situation, but more so for consumers. The record industry's sales were saved, but they weren't seeing the same rate of return as before. Meanwhile consumers could now choose their music a la carte, many times at a cost-savings. No more did you have to pay $15.99 for a twelve track album that included three songs you actually liked, just to have the one song you really loved.

I've been watching the cable industry very closely, especially the last few years. They are increasingly tightening their grip on the content, aided by the fact that the signal is now almost completely digital (and therefore much easier to secure) from start to finish. It started when satellite companies injected an FM frequency into certain channels that a tuner box basically filtered out (for a monthly fee of course). Now, with the system being completely digital, your cable box acts like a node. It has its own MAC address and can be seen and managed remotely by the cable company. Now some systems are going completely digital, with no analog service to the home. You're forced to rent a smaller node for each additional television in your home. This allows them the ultimate in secure control.

There is no earth shaking market disruption like Napster to interrupt the cable industry's way of doing business. (Yes, I know there are a few tech-savy folks who VPN or port their IP addresses and stream content from home, but it still requires a cable subscription.) But really, unlike the recording industry, the cable companies have no reason to negotiate or change their business model. They saw what that did to the bottom lines of both the record industry and Apple, and they don't want to share their $$. Why would they?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

If its DirecTV, the chances are usually "no". Rarely does the cheap-azz DirecTV sign up for any of these streaming apps.

Yes, DirecTV is listed as a provider.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Throw all of the worthless cable/satellite subscription based apps you want at me. I'm never going back.

"Another icon to hide" ad nauseam.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
It is a shame that HBO and Showtime don't go alacarte. The post above (#8) is a great read, but I still hope it will happen one day. I would subscribe to the Showtime Anytime app just to watch Homeland...

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
well, that's cool.

and it looked like on Shotimes webpage that I can have access via my internet/tv subscriber.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I had to restart my ATV to get this one to show up.

I like using HBO GO so I may give this one a try. I like that I can get the premium channels for $10 each for a year.

I was cable/satellite free for three years. It was more a financial thing then not wanting it. It's good to be back.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
This is the company that invented the App Store, I'm sure they know what complications there are.

As for choice, choice of what?

Apple didn't invent the app store. Apps stores existed for PocketPC and Palm apps for years before Apple had theirs.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is the company that invented the App Store, I'm sure they know what complications there are.

As for choice, choice of what?

There are no complications....Roku and Amazon both have them.

Apple is scared to release any updates because they can't release their "grand vision" Apple TV. They've been holding back a superior product because they can't get the content deals in place. And they won't anytime soon. The new Apple TV will be delayed, as it has been months after months.

Choice of what channels to download...there are some, like the blaze and amazon, that would be available if apple had a store.

They completely believe in apps stores, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Plus the UI needs a major overhaul...the current UI was an earlier idea that Steve Jobs initially rejected. It should have stayed that way.

sandler77

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
DirecTV

True that they are listed (just like in the iOS App as well). Now we're stuck with "limited content" and how much they will allow us to watch on AppleTV. If it's like HBOGO, all is good. The only very minor issue is that you have to wait until a show/event premieres live, then you can watch it any time after that and catch up like a DVR. No worries there for me. The big picture here was being able to watch Homeland, Masters of Sex or Ray Donovan on the big screen TV any time. Watching these and other shows any time on an iPhone or iPad is cool and all that, but the "anti-Airplay" feature killed the concept for big TVs.

Let's hope the app is similar to that of HBOGO and most shows/content is available for AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.