Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
for some reason, half the time ebay.co.uk just doesn't load, and even goes as far as to display the "server unavailable" message.
works fine in Chrome however.

any reasons for that?

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
It could be that the Ebay UK site isn't properly coded, and the problem isn't really with Safari.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Just a quick suggestion. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies in Safari? Try that, restart Safari, see if that helps.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Just a quick suggestion. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies in Safari? Try that, restart Safari, see if that helps.

I did, it doesn't. Its puzzling me, makes no sense.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
One other possibility could be if you have an add-on that could be causing the problem. Simple way to check them if you do have add-ons, is turn them all off, then turn them back on one at a time to see if one of them is the problem.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
ColdCase may have nailed part of the problem. Was just now checking the UK site of Ebay with Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera and IE. None of them are able to display it currently. All browsers are showing "Server Not Found". So the other part of the problem is most likely coming from Ebay's side of things.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
ColdCase may have nailed part of the problem. Was just now checking the UK site of Ebay with Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera and IE. None of them are able to display it currently. All browsers are showing "Server Not Found". So the other part of the problem is most likely coming from Ebay's side of things.

So...Safari isn't really broken, is it?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
So...Safari isn't really broken, is it?

Never suggested it was. Was just offering you some suggestions that I have seen work when these kind of problems happen with browsers. Once I tried several different browser and got the same results, I can only conclude it is more on the Ebay side of things. As all five browsers I checked gave the same results.

I never bothered to check browsers as you stated it was working fine in Firefox and Chrome. My bad for not checking them myself on my end. I have seen this kind of thing go on with Ebay when they are doing maintenance or upgrades on their servers. Their site can be very sporadic when this is happening. They try to do it seamlessly but that is not always the case.

Plus as ColdCase alluded too, some sites in Safari can be fussy. I have not run into any myself, but that does not mean they do not exist.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008

Still, while the same page will load in chrome (open next to Safari), it wont open in Safari.

I'm going to see how system behaves when i do a clean install after I replace my drive, but thats not gonna happen for a few months.
Never suggested it was. Was just offering you some suggestions that I have seen work when these kind of problems happen with browsers. Once I tried several different browser and got the same results, I can only conclude it is more on the Ebay side of things. As all five browsers I checked gave the same results.

I never bothered to check browsers as you stated it was working fine in Firefox and Chrome. My bad for not checking them myself on my end. I have seen this kind of thing go on with Ebay when they are doing maintenance or upgrades on their servers. Their site can be very sporadic when this is happening. They try to do it seamlessly but that is not always the case.

Plus as ColdCase alluded too, some sites in Safari can be fussy. I have not run into any myself, but that does not mean they do not exist.

I've seen exact same behaviour on few other sites too. Its very bizarre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.