Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just before news of Apple's upcoming 12.9-inch iPad Pro was reported by Bloomberg, Re/Code's Walt Mossberg shared a snippet of an interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook commenting on the recent state of the tablet market, which has been on the decline. According to Cook, the dip in iPad sales over the past two quarters is just a "speed bump" for Apple.
In a brief interview about tablets I had this week with Apple CEO Tim Cook, he said, "We couldn't be happier with how we've done with the first four years of the iPad," and added that, "I'd call what's going on recently a speed bump, and I've seen that in every category."
The sentiment echoes comments that Cook made during the company's third quarter earnings call, where Apple announced iPad sales of just 13.3 million, down from 14.6 million in the year-ago quarter. The drop followed a Q2 sales dip that saw sales of 16.35 million iPads, down from 19.5 in Q2 2013.

During the call, Cook highlighted overall sales of more than 225 million iPads over the course of the last four years and suggested the tablet market itself was still "in its infancy." The CEO said that "significant innovation can be brought to the iPad," and pointed towards plans to bring improvements to Apple's tablet lineup.

Part of those plans may include the introduction of a larger 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which will launch in early 2015, according to Bloomberg. Rumors have suggested the larger tablet will include an ultra high-definition display and that it will be marketed towards Apple's enterprise customers.

12_9_ipad_ipad_4_mini_light-800x450.jpg
12.9-inch iPad mockup (left) with fourth-generation iPad (right) and iPad mini (bottom)

While Apple has seen a serious drop in iPad sales over the past two quarters, the company continues to be the world's leading tablet vendor, holding 26.9 percent of the total tablet market. The company's iPad Air and iPad mini have hit 98% and 100% customer satisfaction rankings, respectively, and the iPad holds an 85 percent share of the U.S education market.

Apple is not the only company experiencing a drop in tablet sales, as noted by Mossberg. Microsoft and Samsung have also seen slumping sales, possibly due to the fact that people see less of a need to upgrade their tablets on a regular basis, as suggested by Samsung, or the tablet's position as a want rather than a need.

In addition to kickstarting iPad sales with the introduction of a larger iPad, Apple may see a jump in iPad sales during the last few months of the year, as the company is said to be introducing both a new iPad Air and a new Retina iPad mini with improved processors and a Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Touch ID proved to be a major draw for the iPhone, and its inclusion in the iPad may entice both new buyers and upgraders.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook: Drop in iPad Sales Just a 'Speed Bump'

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
I love the iPad. However, against popular belief that suggests the next iPad (Air) will come with just A8, better graphics and TouchID, I would like to see something more. I don't want a revolution, an evolution will do just as fine, but not just a routine "twice as better" update.

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
A BIGGER IPad? Are we not moving to smaller products, I thought the new iPhone was supposed to fill the niche of a bigger IPad.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well, what bugs me about the iPad right now is that iOS simply isn't optimized for it. The music app is a stretched out phone app and the app switcher is just pathetic compared to what it could be.

joshuaclinton

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
Definitely no need to continuously upgrade to the newest iPad. I am very happy with how well my 2nd Gen performs, with the minor annoyance of not having airdrop.

floatworld

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
Add about double the RAM of the current gen iPad Air/Mini and I'm all in for a new one this year. I had the current Air for a few months of constant crashing and poorer than expected performance. I should have known after they moved to 64bit architecture but then scrimped on the memory. smh

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
There are two killer apps I love on iPad. Beatmaker 2 and Procreate.

Other than that it's just another, admittedly very pleasant, way to view stuff on the internet.

iPads need a fresh revolution to make them a must-have now that the hype has died down a bit.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Gotta have those 13" tablets so that Samsung can have 8" phones so that the 5.5" iPhone 6 is considered too small to even use. :rolleyes:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
iOS needs real multitasking. Samsung and Microsoft have this and it really does improve tablet experience.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple has sold 225M iPads in just 4 years. It's a roughly $6B/quarter business. And yet some in the media are treating the iPad as if it's on life support. Ridiculous.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
The problem isn't the hardware, it is the software. iOS cannot be all things to all people. Software that is dumbed down to save on battery and so that grandma doesn't get confused cannot serve enterprise users effectively at the same time.

Reactions: Sylvan

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I love the iPad. However, against popular belief that suggests the next iPad (Air) will come with just A8, better graphics and TouchID, I would like to see something more. I don't want a revolution, an evolution will do just as fine, but not just a routine "twice as better" update.

What would be an acceptable evolution to you? On the last earnings call Cook said Apple has exciting things planned for iPad. We've heard rumors about split screen multitasking. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces something like that this fall.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
iOS needs real multitasking. Samsung and Microsoft have this and it really does improve tablet experience.

If you mean unrestricted Windows-Style Multitasking then don't wait, as it's never going to happen. I don't want a CPU fan on my tablet.
The iPad multitasking should improve in iOS 8 and those apps that were written properly will take advantage of it.

johncocktosen

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Brooklyn
just a convergence of phone-tablet-pc. good choices for consumer, education *and* business.

now if there was a way to force out of dumbed down mobile sites when i browse with my iPad i would have several more. I should NOT be penalized for browsing the web with my iPad. Tim you must know this, give me an option to browse in normal web mode.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The problem isn't the hardware, it is the software. iOS cannot be all things to all people. Software that is dumbed down to save on battery and so that grandma doesn't get confused cannot serve enterprise users effectively at the same time.

Obviously IBM doesn't agree. Didn't Apple announce a bunch of enterprise improvements at WWDC?

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Multiple quarters of lower sales for Apple=nothing to worry about here

1 quarter of lower sales for Samsung=LOLZ! Samedung is gonna die soon!!!

There ya go, I saved everyone here an argument by making it before you did.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Will buy one for every creative professional in this organization.

...Apple can keep trying to dance around it, but a tablet really needs a wacom digitizer if it's going to be the creative tool that replace the traditional stand-in of pencils and scraps of paper floating all over the place.

A hundred years from now on into the future, you'll be able to accurately draw, sketch, and write on your tablet. Apple should buy Wacom and honor the licenses now while they can. They should have done it a decade ago.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
Just like what Captain Obvious would have said

iPad sales are down because we're not selling as many.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.