Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram today launched a new standalone video app called Hyperlapse, which is designed to allow users to capture high-quality time lapse videos enhanced with built-in stabilization features. According to the app's description, the image stabilization allows users to create "polished" time lapse videos that would normally only be possible with the use of a tripod.

In an interview with Wired, Instagram reveals that its image stabilization feature uses the iPhone's gyroscope to measure the camera's movement, which allows video to be stabilized with a simple algorithm.

Hyperlapse mimics the time lapse feature introduced with iOS 8, but it includes customization features not found in Apple's own time lapse capabilities. Along with image stabilization, the app also lets users choose a playback speed, from 1X to 12X, and it can capture short bursts of video or shoot all day long.

hyperlapse.jpg
When you shoot a time lapse video with Hyperlapse, your footage will be instantly stabilized to smooth out the bumps from the road and give it a cinematic feeling. Capture an entire sunrise in 10 seconds--even from the back of a moving motorcycle. Walk through the crowds at an all-day music festival, then distill it into a 30 second spot. Capture your bumpy trail run and share your 5k in 5 seconds.
Though created by Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, Hyperlapse does not require an account to log in and it features a simple interface with one-tap video capturing capabilities. It also includes sharing tools to let users share time lapse videos to both Instagram and Facebook, but videos can also be saved to the camera roll.

Hyperlapse can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram Launches Time Lapse 'Hyperlapse' Video App

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
For the 5 minutes I tried it, I have to say I'm impressed. Works as advertised.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Whilst I think that hyperlapses look great I don’t think people realise how long you have to leave the camera running for to get anything of a decent length.

Take the take-off in the promo for example. We’re looking at at least 3-5 mins of filming!

My arm gets tired and wants to drop off way before that.

Sadly as-well, I think they show off every option that an average joe can create in the trailer!

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Revolutionary. O.m.g. Instagram pushing the boundaries!!

No.

(They should increase their photo size limit above 1000 x 1000, video should too)

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Microsoft also has a thing called Hyperlapse: http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/11/microsofts-found-a-way-to-banish-gopro-shakycam-footage/

These don't seem to be related (except that both are image/video processing processes) and I can't see those two companies working together.

Did they not google the name first?

Wow, I usually don't complain much about similar brands, but this time it's a specific name for the same field of technology. :S I honestly forgot I read that Microsoft had researched "that" Hyperlapse and thought that this technology was what this app was going to be about... :p Seriously poor naming here.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
According to the Wired article, Hyperlapse is not currently possible on Android because it lacks the proper APIs.

I always thought Google was years ahead of iOS in the features department. Guess I was wrong.

nikko1423

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Um...whats the point of releasing an app for an iOS device feature coming out in 2 weeks?
Derp...

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I'm surprised Schiller didn't save this for the iPhone Keynote and bore the crap out of everyone.

The apple team really needs to stop with the boring demos. I'm predicting another Infinity blade game - infinity blade 3?!?!?!??

Lol

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I'd love it if someone could tell me the difference between "time lapse" and "slightly sped up and stabilised video"

Also, how are you going to get a decent, true time lapse unless you hold your phone up (or set it down somewhere undisturbed) for hours at a time?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
According to the Wired article, Hyperlapse is not currently possible on Android because it lacks the proper APIs.

I always thought Google was years ahead of iOS in the features department. Guess I was wrong.

Their APIs are actually fewer and more limited. Seems most iOS developers don't touch most of the APIs available to them though sadly.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I'd love it if someone could tell me the difference between "time lapse" and "slightly sped up and stabilised video"

Also, how are you going to get a decent, true time lapse unless you hold your phone up (or set it down somewhere undisturbed) for hours at a time?

I am not really the one to answer but my thoughts are:

timeplapse is with photos. This allows for a much higher definition, plus no audio and using images only, shot every so often.

Sped-up Video is an always running camera. the clarity won't be as good. Sure 1080p is fine but with the time-lapse, when you stabilize, you can still be at or higher than 1080p. Video usually eats up more battery life.

We need to get an iPhone vest attachment to make some of these. I saw a video of walking in an amusement park once, pretty cool. Thought about this last year when we went to Disney but my iPhone 4 was starting to get sluggish...much worse now.

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
Whilst I think that hyperlapses look great I don’t think people realise how long you have to leave the camera running for to get anything of a decent length.

Take the take-off in the promo for example. We’re looking at at least 3-5 mins of filming!

My arm gets tired and wants to drop off way before that.

Sadly as-well, I think they show off every option that an average joe can create in the trailer!

Agreed, i dont really see the use-case for this app... its not any different than shooting a video and playing it back at 10x speed... you still have to film for the entire time you want to make a time lapse - and arent time lapse videos usually meant for things that take weeks at the very least? to show changes in things that normally you wouldnt notice a change just staring at it?

Oh great i can time lapse a sunrise if i hold my camera up for an hour... meanwhile i miss the beauty of the sunrise cause im staring at mt phone's screen...

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Take the take-off in the promo for example. We’re looking at at least 3-5 mins

Holy crap! Talk about a serious commitment. I don't know anyone in this internet era that could do anything for such a prolonged time. 3-5 minutes! I could understand 3-5 seconds.

Packdude

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
MS's HL isn't bad

I watched the video for MS's version and it was really cool. Still not sure what I would use it for, maybe when on vacation or something.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
[...]Take the take-off in the promo for example. We’re looking at at least 3-5 mins of filming!

My arm gets tired and wants to drop off way before that. [...]

True. Actually, a time lapse "video" is better with a fixed camera taking a few pictures each hour... for days. Like when you want to show/see a growing plant or melting snow. Otherwise, as mentioned above, it's pretty much a few minutes of video on fast-forward!

[...]the app [...] can capture short bursts of video or shoot all day long.[...]
[...]videos can also be saved to the camera roll.

"all this on your 16Gb iPhone" ;)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Apply Hyperlapse to Vine videos and you get Viccup videos, so short you don't actually have to watch them!

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
Looks awesome. Would be great to use for our upcoming vacation, unfortunately, the 5s's battery sucks.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
True. Actually, a time lapse "video" is better with a fixed camera taking a few pictures each hour... for days. Like when you want to show/see a growing plant or melting snow. Otherwise, as mentioned above, it's pretty much a few minutes of video on fast-forward!

Exactly! It's a pathetic show reel. I'd rather they show a proper timelapse video rather than just ordinary events sped up.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I am not really the one to answer but my thoughts are:

timeplapse is with photos. This allows for a much higher definition, plus no audio and using images only, shot every so often.

Sped-up Video is an always running camera. the clarity won't be as good. Sure 1080p is fine but with the time-lapse, when you stabilize, you can still be at or higher than 1080p. Video usually eats up more battery life.

Hyperlapse is usually a time-lapse with added movement horizontally or vertically (or both) and on a large scale (e.g. 10m+ over the course of the clip).

I don't think there is any official definition as I think that hyper lapse was actually coined by a filmmaker that started making time lapses with more movement than a controlled slider.

This is a really good example of a professional quality hyper lapse

Holy crap! Talk about a serious commitment. I don't know anyone in this internet era that could do anything for such a prolonged time. 3-5 minutes! I could understand 3-5 seconds.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The trend is for things to get shorter and shorter (vine, instagram video). I think unfortunately this will bore the younger generations too quickly! When was the last time you shot a 5 minute clip on your iPhone?

I'm happy to be proved wrong as I love creating this sort of content but sadly I think it won't be widely adopted.

Last edited:

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Looks good

I downloaded it to give it a try one of these days. iOS 8 has a timelapse feature, but it doesn't let you choose the speed like Hyperlapse does.

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
This is not really time lapse in the traditional since where you take still photos from the same angle multiple times or a period of time then put those photos in a slideshow/video format. All this app does is record video then fast motion it to simulate time lapse.

My only issue is it has a misleading description and it doesn't actually do what they have you believe.

However this capability does have benefits, it's good for recording Vine videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.