Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Been caught up with this news lately and I for one do not want this to happen. Who know what could happen to Tim's (or as we call it "Timmies"). What do you guys think? Another Wendy's/Arby's?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm not very happy about this merger because I fear Burger King may do bad things to my favorite Tim Hortons coffee. This is very serious business.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Never heard of Tim Horton's. I have to say it matters little to me given the fact there is no Tim Horton's where I live. :cool:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Never heard of Tim Horton's. I have to say it matters little to me given the fact there is no Tim Horton's where I live. :cool:

Yeah, Shrink says the same thing, he's never heard of it. Obviously, Tim Horton's hasn't established a presence in New England. Of all the coffee's I've tried, for Press, their's is my favorite.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, Shrink says the same thing, he's never heard of it. Obviously, Tim Horton's hasn't established a presence in New England. Of all the coffee's I've tried, for Press, their's is my favorite.

They'll have a hard time here - this area is Dunkin Donut territory. Krispy kreme tried to come into N.E. and failed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
They'll have a hard time here - this area is Dunkin Donut territory. Krispy kreme tried to come into N.E. and failed.

We don't have many of Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donut's around my area. There are some, but they're not on every street corner.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not very happy about this merger because I fear Burger King may do bad things to my favorite Tim Hortons coffee. This is very serious business.

I'd say so. Wait till they start cutting corners to boost profits. :confused:

----------

Are they in the US? I used to drink TH coffee on my Canadian layovers. :)

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Burger King and Tim Hortons will stay as seperate operating companies.

Canada has a huge brand loyalty towards Tim Hortons.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim...l-would-base-burger-chain-in-canada-1.2745754

It is just a huge tax savings for Burger King.

Yeah this is it. It's the brand loyalty which my kill them. Plus I'm not so sure about BK's management. They're not too well managed here, but that's subjective as I still seem them running in most places where they're open.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

It is. No one should mess with my coffee (angry face). But it's more of what'll happen to Tim's and how it'll change more than their products. It may change because they change suppliers etc and then eventually will mess it up but that we'll have to see. BK has never impressed me tbh.

iBanker

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
46th floor
No, I don't think Tim Horton's is in the US. Therefore it doesn't really matter to me.

I've been to a few in New York state. I think they're slowly moving south of Ontario, Canada.

As for the coffee, Torontonians looove it and the chain is expanding their selection to offer different roasts now, as well as esspresso & cappucino.

Wouldn't say say the coffee is better than Starbucks, but not bad for half the price.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'd say so. Wait till they start cutting corners to boost profits. :confused:

----------

Are they in the US? I used to drink TH coffee on my Canadian layovers. :)

No, I don't think Tim Horton's is in the US. Therefore it doesn't really matter to me.

I think it is in the US - maybe just up North? I was just in NY and I'm positive I saw one there. I'm pretty sure they are also in Michigan as well

Yes, Tim Horton's is in the US. I'm in Michigan and they're found all over here.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It is. No one should mess with my coffee (angry face). But it's more of what'll happen to Tim's and how it'll change more than their products. It may change because they change suppliers etc and then eventually will mess it up but that we'll have to see. BK has never impressed me tbh.

I tried BK's coffee once, and only once. I buy Tim Horton's whole beans and grind them at home in my French Press and it's just wonderful. I fear BK will somehow ruin that, and change their blend to something else, probably worse.

That's partially a by-product of them having been owned by (Ohio based) Wendys for about a decade.

B

Yep, there are plenty of Wendy's locations here too.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I fear BK will somehow ruin that, and change their blend to something else, probably worse.

While New England is Dunkin country, we used to have a chain called Coffee Connection back in the 90s that had great espresso drinks. Even though they were bought out by Starbucks (partially for the Frappucino trademark), Starbucks continued to sell several CC branded and style beans for several years after the buyout.

There's hope... Not to mention that pretty much all of Ontario would freak out if someone messed with their Tim Horton's!

B

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
BK and Tim Horton's Merger? Oh Lord...

That would be terrible if they merged. I like my Tim Hortons the way it is currently. They are all over the place in western New York.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

Attachments

• Little_Chocolate_Balls_of_Goodness.jpg
    Little_Chocolate_Balls_of_Goodness.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 93

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
[Update: I don't want to push this into PRSI - please note that the following comment was meant to be a humours jab at our Canadian perception of ourselves and not a comment on tax structures.]

What's being missed in this discussion is the tax implications. Canadians have been moaning for years - maybe since Confederation even - that we pay much higher taxes than our southern cousins. Yet, here is BK engineering a deal to move its HQ to Canada in order to pay lower Canadian taxes.

It's not just an assault on Timmie's coffee, it's an assault on our cultural beliefs, eh!

I wonder how long it will take before this tax provision is amended to keep other US companies from moving north?

[Update 2: Keeping in mind that the whole point - the only point - of the merger is as a tax saving measure - but it's better to keep the thread focussed on who makes the best doughnuts.]

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Funny thing is after living in Europe for so long the way they prepare coffee there (and most other similar types of restaurants in North America) is not really the way I like it anymore, though my parents love it. I take your word for it the store blend is very good, especially given the care you certainly (as a member of the espresso thread) take with coffee. Ditto with the food, it seems to have gone done somewhat-though I do like the bagels there.

I do share your apprehension to the future of Tim's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.