Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Chinese repair firm GeekBar shared a claimed schematic for the iPhone 6 showing what was claimed to be the pinning diagram for the device's rumored near field communications (NFC) chip. The part addressed on the schematic, PN65V, was thought to be a version of NXP's PN65 NFC package currently used in several Android devices.

The leak is one of several schematics shared by GeekBar over the past week and a half, and while some of the components have been misidentified, it is looking increasingly likely that the schematics themselves are legitimate. Seen in that light, it is worth taking a look back at the NFC claim to see if there is additional evidence for it.

iphone_6_nfc_board_close.jpg
Closeup of 4.7-inch iPhone 6 logic board with likely NFC chip location boxed in red, LTE modem boxed in green
MacRumors forum member chrmjenkins has pointed us toward a document showing the package used by NXP for its PN65, noting that it measures 5 mm x 5 mm with 32 terminals for connectivity. In examining the bare logic boards from the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models, chrmjenkins believes he has spotted where that chip will be located.

iphone_6_nfc_board_both.jpg
Broader view showing likely NFC chip location boxed in red: 4.7-inch iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, 5.5-inch iPhone 6 (left to right)
The location on the board is a square patch that does not correspond to any component from the iPhone 5s logic board, indicating that it may indeed be for a new component such as an NFC chip. Existing components may of course see changes in shape between generations, but many of the current major components can be mapped reasonably well to locations on the iPhone 6 logic boards, leaving relatively few candidates for this new square patch.

Rumors of NFC for the iPhone have circulated for years, but they have yet to come to fruition. As a result, this year's crop of NFC rumors has understandably been greeted with skepticism, although the volume and specificity of the rumors has seemed greater this time around, with multiple sources pointing toward an NXP chip solution for the iPhone. And with Apple rumored to be making a push into mobile payments as soon as later this year, the time may finally be right for Apple to bring NFC to the iPhone.

Article Link: More Evidence of NFC Support for Both iPhone 6 Models

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Bleh - I'm interested to see how this will work with Passbook.....

But I really think NFC belongs in the iWatch for payments.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
If and when the iPhone gets NFC capabilities, it will be huge. Not because it'll be the first, it won't be, but because it'll boost the install-base of devices supporting NFC that venders and stations will really operate to include the tech moving forward.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
:YAWNS:

welcome to 2012 again? I don't think I've ever seen this in action.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Once Apple introduces it, the relevance of the technology shall immensely increase. It'll be integrated everywhere allover the world. Personally, I recently purchased a NFC-enabled 3.5'' Headphone Bluetooth Adapter from Sony, I can't wait to use it on the next iPhone more easily.

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Skeptical

Two things--

1) That spot on the logic board could really be for any chip that size. The fact that there is a chip that size for NFC and that it is used in some cell phones does not mean that is what that spot is for.

2) NFC has been available as a technology for quite some time, and Apple launched Passbook without it. NFC doesn't seem to be gaining any market traction? So why now? Is it that it just wasn't a priority and they finally got around to it after accomplishing the other things on the list? Or did their opinion about the value of NFC change?

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
NFC has been available as a technology for quite some time, and Apple launched Passbook without it. NFC doesn't seem to be gaining any market traction?

Apple is profoundly good at giving things like this traction.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'll say it again: pay more attention to Ming-Chi Kuo next time.

Every time he predicts something, people are quick to generalize 'analysts' and point out how often they're wrong.

Ming-Chi Kuo, while not 100% reliable, is a lot more reliable than other analysts. He constantly make correct predictions that are not obvious at all and clearly more than educated guesses.

And while we're at it, also don't automatically dismiss a rumor coming from a 'random blogger' if he's Mark Gurman.

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
Won't be standard NFC

It won't be a standard NFC chip. It will be a chip that is capable of using for "tap-to-pay" using only your phone and fingerprint scanner or password protected phone.
Credit card companies will jump on this because it reduces the chance of people losing their cards and others using an unsecured tap-to-pay.
The Only reason Apple is adding this chip will be to get into the payment side of things at storefronts.
It will save credit card companies millions.

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
I just noticed yesterday that Apple Retail employees are using new EasyPays for for checkout/scheduling (I worked there for 4 years, so I'm a nerd and notice these things.). The new models have NFC on them. I doubt Apple would go to the trouble of updating/replacing their fleet of checkout devices just to accept payment from competitors' devices. The new iPhone will have NFC. I bet an appendage on it. Anyone up for the challenge? Whoever loses the bet loses an arm. Pics get posted to Macrumors. ;)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Two things--

1) That spot on the logic board could really be for any chip that size. The fact that there is a chip that size for NFC and that it is used in some cell phones does not mean that is what that spot is for.

Those pads are clearly in an area of the board dedicated to RF communication components. It is always possible, but I know of no other part with that pinout. Also, most of the other parts are accounted for.

I should have sent another link to show the pads are correct. Here's the diagram for solder reflow (actually attaching it to the board): http://www.nxp.com/documents/reflow_soldering/sot617-1_fr.pdf

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This feature will be about the only thing dragging me up to a 4.7inch phablet... rather than getting my 32GB TouchID upgrade from a discounted 5S.

tgenius

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
This feature will be about the only thing dragging me up to a 4.7inch phablet... rather than getting my 32GB TouchID upgrade from a discounted 5S.

4.7 is a phablet now? Hah! Then my Note 3 is what then? :D

balmeo

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
Those pads are clearly in an area of the board dedicated to RF communication components. It is always possible, but I know of no other part with that pinout. Also, most of the other parts are accounted for.

I should have sent another link to show the pads are correct. Here's the diagram for solder reflow (actually attaching it to the board): http://www.nxp.com/documents/reflow_soldering/sot617-1_fr.pdf

Logic board have 28 terminal contacts, and NXP's document says their chip have 32 terminals (8 on each side).

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
:YAWNS:

welcome to 2012 again? I don't think I've ever seen this in action.

Yawn because it's old, yet you haven't seen it in action. Uh, you know inclusion in the iPhone probably means the beginning of mainstream acceptance. So you wouldn't be yawning because you'd be seeing it in action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.