Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I'ma let you finish but-
LOL
-who told you that? :rolleyes:

Have you tried Beat Pros? Have you compared it to Bose and M50 headphones?

I have. Same song, CDQ.

so unless you have all these audiophile headphones laying around and actually tested them then.

:rolleyes:

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
if you don't have enough budget to buy a Beats, forget buying the fake ones, buy some cheap and good headphones. AT-M50s, Alessandro MS1, Panasonic HTF600.

If you have enough budget to buy a Beats, still forget it. Get a Beyer (DT770 for bass, DT990 for clarity & some bass) or AKG instead. if you still have some extra, get a DAC/amp combo.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
i'm hoping to bump this thread to see more arguments. It's intriguing for some odd reason.

I haven't read every page, but the 3 or 4 i did read, have yet to see the most obvious things that invalidate every argument i've read ITT.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I personally think all of the various incarnations of Beats headphones sound really bad when compared to actual pro-quality headphones. I use these and they really put the beats to shame: http://www.headphone.com/products/sennheiser-hd-650

If you use 650s on the train, everyone hates you. They're open headphones, with huge drivers, and seriously noisy from the outside. Home use only please! And yes, I have a pair.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Beats are some of the worst headphones I've ever heard, above 50 dollars. I walked by the studio model and took a listen...

Myyyyyyyyyyy goodness. At three hundred dollars, I was astonished. I knew the others are terrible, but this was a new low. I've only seen beats sitting at the desk of ONE producer and when I asked him why he chose them, he responded that his mom got em for him.

Even from a laid back listening perspective they are junk. I've chosen not to waste any time researching why they made them suck so bad, but I'm assuming it's because this generation of kids values bass over much else.

It's pretty sad when I can put my ears INSIDE of headphones, but feel like I'm OUTSIDE of a club.

I ended up buying the 2 cups on a string my daughter made me, for 500 dollars.

Reactions: xSinghx

ajhunt18

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Guys please help. I am planning to buy a second hand Monster Beats by Dre Studio. Can you guys tell if this one's original or fake?

Attachments

• b_zps24e385a8.jpg
    b_zps24e385a8.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 193

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I just have the wireless powerbeats2 for running and working out. I prefer not having a long cord albeit they do have a short one.

For normal listening when traveling by plane I use a set of Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2.

These are the only times I use headphones

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Beats By Dre makes some of the best-selling headphones in the world thanks to their slick design and features including noise cancelling and wireless technology - but they can be pricey too.:)
The design definitely has an appeal but you're paying way more than you should for the audio quality they offer which is quite frankly, subpar, especially when you consider that you can get headphones with much better sound reproduction for a whole lot less money.

Reactions: BoneDaddy

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
i just wanna say I've had my bought studio wireless for 3 days now and i love them so far.

I did too. In fact I kept mine for 15 days then returned them. Found after a few hours of listening I got bass fatigue which cause all music to sound bad. Went back to Bose - better sound stage and less bass fatigue.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
Thumbs up to this thread.

I would have put poor sound quality (or overpriced however you'd like to think of it) at the top of the list since it's the thing they try to sell themselves on to the uninformed public, followed by design, and the rest already mentioned.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
i just wanna say I've had my bought studio wireless for 3 days now and i love them so far.
I just ignore the people that claim there's too much bass. That used to be true years ago when Monster was running the show, but the new Solo and Studio models are very very good.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Monster does not make Beats and haven't for awhile. Bzztt.
My job gave away the latest version of Beats headphones to all employees. They sounded pretty good but were too tight for my big pumpkin head. I gave them away but would have kept them otherwise as they were free.
Sure there are better headphones at half the price. Not exactly a revelation.

So every now and again, I see a post on the forum about advice on buying the Beats By Dre etc. And I always want to shout at the person and tell them not to buy them... But I thought it'd be easier if we could put all the reasons why not to buy them on here. If you have any please post them here. So here goes:

1. The Fakes Are Better Than The Real Ones
A friend bought a fake pair of Beats from DHgate at the same time as I bought my real ones. Mine broke after three months of light use; his still work after a year of heavy use. This leads me to the conclusion that Monster build their headphones using even worse parts than the people who make the fakes. I've had three pairs in 12 months, they've all broken from very light use.

You Look Like a Sheep
Nothing screams originality like having a pair of Beats around your neck. Having Beats on shows that you can't make your own reasoned decisions and you just buy stuff because it's trendy. It's like tattooing 'I have more money than sense' onto your forehead. Not to mention, that most thirteen year olds use them as neck warmers, so be ready to be treated like one.

Monster Is An Evil Company
Monster is a cable manufacturer who also make the Beats By Dre Headphones. Here's a few reasons why they're evil:
1. They profit off the common misconception that a $100 HDMI cable is superior to a $5 one. This simply isn't true, with the way HDMI cables work, you either get a 100% perfect picture, or you get no picture (there's more on this here). In some of their display booths, Monster actually had two side by side TVs playing video. One was using their magical HDMI cable, and the other was using a composite cable! They labelled these booths with things like "Can you see the MONSTER difference?".
If you don't understand the significance of this, composite cables are them old multicoloured cables that we used years ago, whereas HDMI cables are the new fancy ones. The difference you could see in these booths wasn't the 'MONSTER difference', rather it was a difference in technologies. It's like a motorbike dealer taking a buyer on a test drive with a fancy, overpriced motorbike, and a pedal bike. Of course the motorbikes faster, they're different technologies! (Link)
2. They supported SOPA, 'nough said (read more here).
3. They are bullies. Here's an example of them suing a small mini golf company called: "Monster Mini Golf" for harming their trademark. Personally I think Monster Mini Golf should have sued Monster Cable for harming their trademark, but maybe that's just me… (more here).

Awful Customer Service
When my first pair of Beats broke after three months, I emailed Monster cable and asked them how I could return them. They replied after a week asking for serial numbers, a copy of the receipt and various other information. After a week of me sending them this information, they said they'd send me some code within two weeks, then they'd send me a box to send them the Beats in, and then they'd see if they could repair them… All in all, it was going to take them about six weeks to get a new pair to me. God made the "Heavens and the Earth" in six days. Russia, which is 17 million kilometre squared, managed to mobilise their whole army in six weeks in WWI, yet Monster insist on taking six weeks to replace some faulty earphones. Luckily, I'd bought them with HMV and I got a refund on the spot in the store.

There're headphones which have better sound quality, are cheaper and cooler

Just some suggestions of mine: Far superior sound: Sennheiser HD650. Cheaper: Sennheiser HD 25 25-1 II. Cooler: Urbanears Plattan Headset.

I did a full article on this on my website here with all the fancy pictures and videos so feel free to have a look at that if you want. But anyway, what are your experiences with the Beats, and does anyone have any reasons not to buy them to add?

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I just ignore the people that claim there's too much bass. That used to be true years ago when Monster was running the show, but the new Solo and Studio models are very very good.

The new ones are much better. Not worth the price but much better.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
The new ones are much better. Not worth the price but much better.

I think this is the key distinction defenders of Beats miss. They are poor sound quality for the price, not simply poor sound quality in itself. Again that's why you see consumers more than professionals wearing them.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
There is nothing wrong about choosing Beats, not at all. Many people don't really care for audio quality, just look at how many people keeps using whatever is bundled with their phone or music player.

Beats does have a few points going for them, which might make people who consider the audio quality to be more than adequate to choose it over other brands and solutions. Especially if you are mostly going to use them "on-the-go" they have the benefit of being rather portable and easy to carry around with you and secondly they don't look too bad which might be a huge selling point for many.

Of course some people can't respect other peoples priorities when it comes to consumer electronics, there are quite a few people out there that would rate looks and comfort above audio quality when they choose their pair of "on-the-go" headphones and there is nothing wrong with that, not at all. If you feel it's something wrong with it, you seriously needs to start thinking about what you are getting angry about and start respecting those around you. Why do you care if your neighbour prioritises looks before audio quality when he chooses his next pair of headphones? His entitled to his own opinions and priorities when he goes out and purchase something, just like you.

With all that said people seems to judge the entire brand by their experience or on rumours surrounding specific models. I know many people who go around "hating" on products even though they have never had any real experience with the product and people tend to hate on product A, because something they heard or experience with product B just because it's from the very same company.

Going around and claiming and hating Beats Studio because you had a bad experience with Beats By Dr.Dre Solo HD is plain stupid. That's like hating on Sony and claiming their Sony Xperia Z line-up is **** because you had a bad experience with Sony Xperia A1 or whatever.

Norton / Symantec is a prime example of the very same issue, they had some really fuzzy years back in the early-2000's and as a result of that around the globe is still bashing and hating on Norton / Symantec and behaving like their existing products are just as **** as they were back then, completely ignoring all reviews and whatnot clearly showing otherwise.

From what I've read and heard it's pretty much the same with Beats. Their 1. Generation products manufactured by Monster suffered some really bad reviews but from what I can tell all their 2. Generation products, no longer manufactured by Monster is getting fairly decent reviews with their Beats Studio ones getting rather good reviews?

I for one loves good audio, so I use some rather expensive Westone UM3X and Westone 4R IEM's "on-the-go" and at home I've got my Sennheiser HD 650 hooked to my Asus Xonar Essence One external DAC. But I don't walk around and nag people about prioritising differently.. The Beats Studio Wireless for example seems to have decent audio quality, and at the same time they look like some of the best headphones I've seen and they are one of rather few that actually supports Bluetooth AAC so you get good wireless audio quality with iOS-devices. I see absolutely no reason why I should react or even raise a eyebrow because people might choose to go with headphones like the Beats Studio Wireless, none at all.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
There is nothing wrong about choosing Beats, not at all.

There's nothing wrong with Taco Bell either. Just don't try to tell us its premium Mexican food.

Many people don't really care for audio quality, just look at how many people keeps using whatever is bundled with their phone or music player.

This assumes people know the difference. If you've never had sushi you probably don't care about sushi. People have to be familiar with something in order to say they don't care about it.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Check out your local retailer...... Beats studio wireless on sale. Best price so far is $249.99 at Staples. I guess Apple is clearing stock?

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I did too. In fact I kept mine for 15 days then returned them. Found after a few hours of listening I got bass fatigue which cause all music to sound bad. Went back to Bose - better sound stage and less bass fatigue.

LOL Bose. They're awful. Had a set of AE2's from Best Buy - worst purchase I ever made.

Any of the new Beats - *NEW* Beats - crush anything Bose.

The new Solo 2's are excellent, even for the money;

I've listened to the Pros with my own source material; they're very good, but the highs are a bit rolled off and subdued, but overall decent. Worth $400 on audio alone? Not quite, but factor in the tank like build and construction, and they're a decent set of headphones.

I personally plan on getting the Master & Dynamic 40's. Stunning sound!

jackson93

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
2) he's got no audio engineering background
3) he's a 'rap' artist.... need i say more?

He actually has an audio engineering background. He was a music producer, still is by the way and started his rap career on a later stage.

But I don't disagree on the fact that there are better headphones for the money, just clearing some wrong info here.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Ignore away, it doesn't remove the fact that they are bass heavy and poor quality headphones. Anybody who produces and records for a living knows how bad they are, and what superior options are available. To those who love heavy bass and can give a damn about audio production. I say, enjoy.

Reactions: jackson93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.