Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following hints of a release earlier this summer, the iOS version of 2K Games' original first person shooter BioShock is now available in the App Store. Rumored since 2008, BioShock on iOS is a port of the full, original game first released in 2007.

Set in 1960, BioShock asks players to take on the role of Jack, a plane crash survivor who finds his way into the defunct underwater city of Rapture. Jack has to fight his way out of the city, battling Big Daddies and other enemies while using an array of heavy weaponry and taking advantage of genetics-altering plasmids that grant him super powers. Over the course of the game, players also discover the rich history behind the creation of Rapture and its eventual fall.

BioShock is limited to newer iOS devices, including the iPad Air, Retina iPad mini, fourth-generation iPad, and the iPhone 5/5c/5s.

BioShock can be downloaded from the App Store for $14.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'BioShock' for iOS Now Available Worldwide

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I wonder if we'll see an A7-based iPod Touch this year? The lack of rumours or leaks makes it seem unlikely. That would mean this Bioshock release or really lack of release marks the beginning of the end of iPod Touch gaming which used to be so heavily promoted by Apple.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Third generation iPad owner and this is the first time I've personally seen an incompatible app. It begins!!

Virtuous33

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
Is there no controller support? If not, that's sad, and really sad for Apple because they were too stupid to understand that they needed to make their own controller. It wasn't hard to see that third party controllers weren't going to go anywhere. I personally own the Moga one because I won it in a contest, and it is laughably bad, and ridiculously cheaply made, with poor materials. There are also virtually no apps that support them because developers know that no one has them. Only Apple could sell one that a lot of people would buy.

I wish Apple would surprise everyone with a controller of their own designed for the iPhone 6 which could be used for either size.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Is there no controller support? If not, that's sad, and really sad for Apple because they were too stupid to understand that they needed to make their own controller. It wasn't hard to see that third party controllers weren't going to go anywhere. I personally own the Moga one because I won it in a contest, and it is laughably bad, and ridiculously cheaply made, with poor materials. There are also virtually no apps that support them because developers know that no one has them. Only Apple could sell one that a lot of people would buy.

No support for Mfi game controllers like the Logitech Powershell?

It has controller support.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Third generation iPad owner and this is the first time I've personally seen an incompatible app. It begins!!

Yeah, saw that on AppShopper just now. It made me laugh. Only one of my devices can play it, and it's the one that I wouldn't play something like this on.

But I get it. I've had lag issues on some games where it needed an update for it to work better on my A5 devices. For a game that will have continuous updates for the next year, I think they chose the best option.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Interesting! Now Pc games can be played on iOS, i wonder what is next?

Next would be continuity. From iOS to Mac then Mac to iOS.

Me playing BioShock on iMac
Mom: Cmon honey we will be late.
Me: "Transfer the game to iPad" Fine!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Next would be continuity. From iOS to Mac then Mac to iOS.

Me playing BioShock on iMac
Mom: Cmon honey we will be late.
Me: "Transfer the game to iPad" Fine!

I've been pushing for iCloud support across both Mac and iOS for years but for some reason, developers don't want to do it. I would absolutely love to see cross platform iCloud embraced one day.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

Which is why I plan to rid my iPad 3 this year and shoot for an iPad mini retina 2. Or, if a 5.5" iPhone 6 does exist, I'm throwing all my money into an unlocked 32GB 5.5" iPhone 6 and calling it day.(iPad is by far my least used device) I may still do that even with the 4.7".

The warning signs of the iPad 3's demise were when Apple decided to refresh it with the iPad 4 so quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Which is why I plan to rid my iPad 3 this year and shoot for an iPad mini retina 2. Or, if a 5.5" iPhone 6 does exist, I'm throwing all my money into an unlocked 32GB 5.5" iPhone 6 and calling it day.(iPad is by far my least used device) I may still do that even with the 4.7".

The warning signs of the iPad 3's demise were when Apple decided to refresh it with the iPad 4 so quickly.

Yeah it really doesn't bother me all that much. It's my least used device as well and I don't play many games, let alone graphics intensive stuffs.

But for a game I don't really care about buying at the moment, it's out of reach and suddenly there's this sickening tinge of "butIwantitthough…".

Last edited by a moderator:

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007

Are you serious? Many games don't run or have problems running on iPad 3, essentially performance are like iPad2 but with retina (you need more power to drive a display like that).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I wonder if we'll see an A7-based iPod Touch this year? The lack of rumours or leaks makes it seem unlikely. That would mean this Bioshock release or really lack of release marks the beginning of the end of iPod Touch gaming which used to be so heavily promoted by Apple.
Kids have moved to iPads and iPads mini

----------

It is 2 gens behind already and in a few days it's going to be 3 gens behind ...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

i had the same thought ... oh well i dont like to play these type of games on a iDevice anyway. im more like a quick game like QuizUp kind of person. also too expensive for an app

always wonder how these type of games are allowed to be sold on the german app store. i mean the xbox counterpart is rated 18+ over here and you have to show your ID when you buy it at the store and even have to verify with an ID if you would order it on amazon. yet it can be downloaded on the itunes store without any verification

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Why would they release a 5 year old game in degraded graphics?

I am no expert, but last I heard was that porting a game takes serious effort. The kind of players who want to play Bioshock probably had it at least for 3 years by now.

I'll never understand how publishers decide what games to release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.