Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Have it hooked up in the car for music. I won't get a new one until there is a plan that charges for actual use only. Use a pre-pay POS Samsung for the road.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
My 1st-gen iPhone is still in near-mint condition - even the battery has like-new capacity - but I replaced it with a 4S when those came out. What a great little trooper it was. I need to figure out how to activate it and use it as an iPod Touch, although it's just the 4gig version.

Itxdjx

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
R.I.
Yes i actually do use it formy day to day phone on ATT as long as there are not alot of apps on it it runs fine! And im on stock 3.1.3 the only issue is not many apps can be installed. But thats what my ipad is for! So its not that bad. I tell you one thing, this is the fastest edge phone ever i can actually almost do things on edge.

Reason why is i was dissapointed with the 4s and gave it to my mom and girlfriend, and i love the design.

Yamarch

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Still using original iphone

I purchased my iphone five years ago and still use it daily. It's also my business phone! Checking email on the EDGE network is somewhat slow, but after five years you get used to it, and it helps me to not get too caught up in the instantaneous lifestyle we live in. I'm actually considering the IPhone 5 now but almost hate to break my streak. . .

labrat1996

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Lenexa, Kansas
When my iPhone 4 broke, I went back to using my original iPhone. The employee at the AT&T store was all excited about how pristine my old IPhone looked. It had been housed in several different beautiful Vaja cases. My daughter used my upgrade so she has an iPhone 5, but I do not. But I will come February because edge is getting old.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
There's a guy in one of my classes who does. Pretty cool! We still have one in our house as well that we use almost permanently docked for music for our sound system.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Recently I went back to watch Steve Jobs's 2007 keynote on the iPhone1, I never watched the whole thing in its entirety.

Oh my God, watching the progress bar on the safari was painful, and the map, phew, like putting legos piece-by-piece.

But nostalgia, OK.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Just loaned ine to a friend who had just broken his right before he upgraded to the 5. Beyond 3G and capacity it's still a good phone to have around and used it as well for a while between 4's a while back with no problems beyond the ones above.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I still have, and am still using my original iPhone as my primary/sole phone.

I bought it mid-stream to late in the product cycle. When the iPhone was originally released, only 4Gb and 8Gb phones were available. Later, the 16Gb phones were released. That is what I have, and am currently using.

The last OS update was 3.1.3, and that is what I have. The iPad/music playing software part is still as buggy as ever. I was never a big "app" person, but most have died off and no longer work.

I live in a large metroplex area, but the last few months, I have noticed that frequently my iPhone says "no service" vs having the bars of signal strength. I speculate this is because ATT is winding down service on pre-3G phones, but I don't know that for a fact.

I use other things on the phone, but 99% of its intended use is to either be a phone, or to play music during my daily commute.

If you have any specific questions, ask away.

AnotherBrian

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
My daughter uses it, no data except on wifi. It's jailbroke and unlocked. She likes it but she does wish the newer apps were supported, it's a little slow but it's amazing as it still has the original battery.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
I just upgraded at the end of Oct from original 4Gig and I am debating selling it, or hanging on to see if it increases in value. Works fine and is in very good condition. It was software issue and camera that made me upgrade to the 5.

I also have a iPod classic!

althaur

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
MD, USA
I have mine unlocked that I use for my deployment phone. It's in my pocket right now. :D It's a sturdy phone to have downrange.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
One of my friends still uses one on Simple Mobile. While the rest of us all have the 4 or 4S, he still refuses to spend the money to upgrade to a newer iPhone. Though recently he is considering getting a 3GS or 4 because many apps are no longer available or not supporting iOS 3.1.3 anymore.

Gordo65

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Kickin' it old school.....

I still use the original iPhone today as my main phone! Runs like a champ, phone calls are clear and prepaid plan is $30! I do have an iPad too, so I don't care about the lack of apps.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have mine, but I don't use it anymore. Really slow, doesn't many of my apps, and it's quite hefty.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I have a running bet with my wife I won't use my original iPhone for a solid month (until our daughter gets married). I'm into day four right now and other than simple texting and phone calls, it is a bit of a chore!

Now, she doesn't know that (she doesn't read these forums), and as far as I am concerned it has so far been a piece of cake!- at least that is what I've got her believing. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.