Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been granted a patent for the design of its iconic glass cube Fifth Avenue retail store, reports Patently Apple.

fifthavenue_hero.jpg
The decision comes four years after Apple applied for a trademark related to the store's design, which is still currently pending. The panted granted today was originally filed on October 15, 2012 and credits eight inventors including former Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

Apple's Fifth Avenue store opened on May 19, 2006 and was designed by architectural firm Bohlin Cywinski Jackson. Due to a structural overhaul that took place in 2011, the location currently uses 15 panes of glass as opposed to 90 used in the original cube. The renovations on the newer cube also did away with nearly all of the hardware that previously held the original panes together, resulting in a "seamless" design.

Article Link: Apple Granted Patent for Fifth Avenue Glass Cube Store Design

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I remember when I first saw it, I was like "So where's all the stuff?"

I love the design, I see it as a metaphor for all things Apple - A gorgeous design that compromises on practicality, but you're willing to accept it because it just looks so damn nice.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Didn't know you could patent that? The store is basically underground and the glass is just show but it is nice especially at night! You see lots of people taking pics! Only in " The City" my home yo! Fagetaboutit :cool:

rk25123

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
?!
They patented a glass cube?!
Seriously?!
I call plagiarism: http://www.wikiart.org/en/larry-bell/glass-cube-1966#supersized-artistPaintings-288973

Last edited:

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
?!
They patented a glass cube?!
Seriously?!
I call plagiarism: http://www.wikiart.org/en/larry-bell/glass-cube-1966#supersized-artistPaintings-288973

No , it does make sense if no one has built this before and just think of Samsung building one down the block? Now they can't think about it without getting sued!!!

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I feel sorry for farmers, as they won't be able to use their greenhouses any more.

----------

I just hope this clear box is not meant to be an artistic reputation of Jonny ives new ideas and concepts.

Dcgod

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Does anyone proof reed thes stuph?

The decision comes four years after Apple applied for a trademark related to the store's design, which is still currently pending. The panted granted...

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
This thread is about to be filled with comments from people who have no idea what a design patent is.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Which is crazy. Of all the things to do in New York...

It's normal for tourists to visit architectural icons in cities they visit. People visit cathedrals too, but it doesn't mean they have to convert.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
It's one of the biggest 24 hour tourist attractions in NYC.

No it's not. Stop making things up. You cannot compare a store to a tourist attraction, its a store. And the reason why there are so many people sitting around next to it, is because its the only place on 5th ave where you can easily sit down and eat (except central park),

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Whiners:

YES, they patented a glass cube, and they're not going to UN-patent it to please you. Jealous? You should be pleased for them - it's an amazing design. Get over it and enjoy your day.

----------

I remember when I first saw it, I was like "So where's all the stuff?"

Me too :D

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
No it's not. Stop making things up. You cannot compare a store to a tourist attraction, its a store. And the reason why there are so many people sitting around next to it, is because its the only place on 5th ave where you can easily sit down and eat (except central park),

Umm, I've visited that store, and there are usually a bunch of tourists there, taking pictures of it, and of themselves around it. Not sure what you call a tourist attraction, but that seems to fit the definition.

cicton

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Canada
It's such a cool store.

----------

According to Forbes, it's the most photographed site in NYC.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands

It sure is.

It's one of the most iconic places in NYC, and every tourist wants to see the cube, and go into (under) it.
Also, the location is a near perfect spot for tourists.

BTW, it's not about comparing a store to a tourist attraction, it's about being one.
Just like Nou Camp in Barcelona, not all tourist attractions have historic value etc.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

The Empire State Building is just an office building. So is the Chrysler Building, and so was the late WTC; and Macy's Herald Square is just a store.

Seriously: two of the main things tourists do in a city is stare at the amazing architecture, and shop at iconic stores.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I wonder if the architect and engineer had a say in Apple's patenting the cube? Or did Apple hire all their own architects and engineers the way they recently hired their own advertising employees?

But the cube may be a first for being a cube, but it is not a first for a glass structure as an entrance. Look at IM Pei's glass entrance to the Louvre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louvre_Pyramid

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
The decision comes four years after Apple applied for a trademark related to the store's design, which is still currently pending. The panted granted...

I don't know. Did you read it?

From the article:
The decision comes four years after Apple applied for a trademark related to the store's design, which is still currently pending. The panted granted today was originally filed on October 15, 2012 and credits eight inventors including former Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

Yes, they misspelled the word 'patent'. However, 'trademark' (which you also called out) is spelled correctly. There's no conflict between the mention of the trademark filing and the patent issuance, though so I'm not sure quite where you're going with your post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.