Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
those bands are really ugly, so far, it seems like real step down in design in comparison to what ip4 and ip5 looked like:(

XVentura

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Taste is subjective. I dig 'em. Your language speaks to your life being extremely shallow.
You just said taste is subjective then called me shallow. For real, bro? If taste is subjective then why are you commenting on my subjective feelings for the design of the back of the phone?

I apologise for wanting the phone to look nicer. I hope I can live your life where ugly things are preferred to beautiful things.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Feature-wise this release sounds great with Homekit, Healthkit, pay-by-touch stuff coming, probably better photos with big lens and big screen. Add fast wifi and new cpu. :eek:

On the industrial design I'm not that sure.... disproportionally thick bands and protruding lens. Let's hope for some high points in design as well.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
The bands in general are ugly but I'm glad to see that they've colored them the same as the back. This looks much better than the earlier part leaks. I assume the silver and gold backs will get the same treatment and it won't look as horrible as it did with white bands.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
In the same way I really like the hand feel of the iPad Air and mini, because of the rounded sides, I'm guessing I'll like the iPhone in hand. My only concern is that without a case it may be slippery to hold.

I held Moto's yet to be released new X or whatever it will be called and that was my same comment - that without an edge case, it was slippery (it has a metal frame, maybe stainless).

I hate using cases and I won't even be able to get our real wood wraps on the edge as is possible with the current 4 iPhone models.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I love how so many people always find things to hate about the new iPhones every year when the leaks start rolling out but come conference time the RDF will be cranked up to full blast and it won't be a problem anymore.

I expect most of the 'haters' to be lining up in droves to purchase one. Works every time.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I hate using cases and I won't even be able to get our real wood wraps on the edge as is possible with the current 4 iPhone models.

I agree, I don't see the point of a case. It's kind of like buying a Ferrari and then driving around with a cover over the top....defeats the purpose.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So the antenna bands are real? Damn it. It is disgustingly ugly. It's extremely disappointing to see that Apple couldn't figure out a better design for the antenna. It is not pleasing aesthetically at all.

How does this leak prove they're any more real than the other leaks did? It's pretty much the same part leak we've seen over and over the past several months. Either we're not seeing a final (or legit) part or if we are the reason for it will be revealed on 9.9.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Curious what the black will look like - hopefully the bands won't be contrasting against the slate. It's growing on me this design.. I thought the bands were cutouts for glass but not anymore!

This is the black phone. They switched from "slate" to "space grey" with the 5s.

Crazy4applev2

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
I think it looks alright. I'm sure whatever professional pics Apple throws at us, along with Ive's intro video in his smoothing accent, will get me to buy it.

And I'm okay with that.

Jony Ive's description of the white bands :D:rolleyes:

"We have always thought about design as being so much more than just the way something looks. It's the whole thing: the way something works on so many different levels. Ultimately, of course, design defines so much of our experience."

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 6

"rumors have suggested" is the phrase to use. Not expected. It's just an overall better way to say it. You've used in an other article, about time you use it always.

Apple, rumors have suggested, will announce the iPhone 6
That's not so hard to write now it is?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The bands in general are ugly but I'm glad to see that they've colored them the same as the back. This looks much better than the earlier part leaks. I assume the silver and gold backs will get the same treatment and it won't look as horrible as it did with white bands.

There were some other leaks posted by 9to5Mac last week that showed a grey back with black bands, though the bands were thinner than these. IF this is a legit part and it's what the back of the phone will look like I'm curious to know why the bands are so thick. They're thicker than the bands on the 4 & 5. I can't see Apple choosing them for aesthetic reasons. :confused:

ryanbridgwood

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2009
The words space grey have gone from the article now. If this was the black version wouldnt the area where the camera is be black and not white?

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
The bands are the antennas. Wireless signals don't pass well through aluminum.

After all these years do people still not understand this simple concept?

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Doesn't look as bad as the early leaks, but I still don't dig the bands.

Hopefully the black/gray version will look better :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.