Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Repair experts at uBreakiFix have examined the impact resistance, scratch resistance and strength of sapphire glass in a series of tests that were published today. The tests were designed to determine whether sapphire is suitable for use as a smartphone display.

glass-sapphire.png
The repair technicians conducted three different tests -- a scratch resistance comparison using a tungsten carbide drill bit, a drop test with the sapphire display of the newly released Kyocera Brigadier, and a a four-point bend test to compare the failure stress and strain of sapphire glass with that of Gorilla Glass.

The technicians conclude that sapphire does not necessarily offer any advantage over Gorilla Glass, as the material's superior scratch resistance and strength is offset by its low impact resistance. Phone manufacturers that include a sapphire display may choose to employ other protective measures such as a raised bezel to help protect the phone during impact with other surfaces.

Apple is partnering with GT Advanced Technologies to produce sapphire for use in future products. The exact details on how Apple will use the material is not known, but the company is rumored to be using sapphire as a display cover in future iPhone models and possibly its iWatch wearable product.

Article Link: Sapphire's Durability Put to the Test Head-to-Head Against Gorilla Glass

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Interesting - sapphire shattering from a 3 foot drop.

How will the rumoured iWatch face hold up if I'm wearing it during sports and it takes a knock?

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

How will the rumoured iWatch face hold up if I'm wearing it during sports and it takes a knock?

Most top end watches are made from saphire and they almost never smash

----------

I thought they tested the earlier leaks of the screens and found it not to be pure saphire so had best of both worlds

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
Ah Morons

These guys go on and on about sapphire as a screen, they just keep forgetting that Sapphire has many other uses. It is possible that apple may be on its way to build a new RF chip for there phones , since Silicon on Sapphire Chips have better insulation and are extremely good for RF chips and equipments.

Sapphire has uses in camera lens and these morons are still talking about the strength of sapphire as a screen glass.

I am sure apple will surprise them with sapphire totally different usage.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Apple has patents on tempering sapphire, chemically and with lasers, which would make it much more impact resistant and less brittle. They are testing with regular sapphire. That would be a fair test if they compared it with regular glass instead of GG.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Here's to hoping the distribution of weight on impact is different enough in the iWatch to prevent it from being anywhere near as shatter-prone as the smartphone they tested.

omarcorrea

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Personally I'd rather have it be more scratch resistant than impact resistant. I'm also going to have a case on my phone, which should help in drops, but the screen will always be susceptible to scratches unless you throw on an annoying screen shield.

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
Bogus Rumours

I feel apple will surprise all by coming up with a totally new usage of sapphire like building silicon on sapphire chips, i seriously hate this ******** comparing sapphire with gorilla glass. Plus the assumption that apple will use stock sapphire without any treatment.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Personally I'd rather have it be more scratch resistant than impact resistant. I'm also going to have a case on my phone, which should help in drops, but the screen will always be susceptible to scratches unless you throw on an annoying screen shield.

I've had my iPhone 5 for 2 years, no screen protector and I don't have a single scratch. I don't care about it being more scratch resistant because other than having a pocket full of sand I won't scratch this screen. But I do fear I could break the screen by dropping it.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Givith and taketh away...

Hopefully Apple dealt with the low impact issue.

I can't imagine the press if iPhone 6 screens break with the most common fall for cellphones.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Most top end watches are made from saphire and they almost never smash

----------

I thought they tested the earlier leaks of the screens and found it not to be pure saphire so had best of both worlds

Yes, as they have a ton of metal around them, the Glass is often below the surface of the surround, it's a far far smaller piece of glass, and the glass it probably a lot thicker than the thinness of a phone screen.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
I'm willing to bet that if Apple is investing over $500M in GT Advanced for sapphire, they have a plan to make it durable enough to survive a 3-foot drop. It doesn't matter how scratch resistant your screen is if it's shattered lol.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Please... stop mentioning the names of any of those stupid locked carrier-exclusive phones. I'm fed up. Despicable.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Who cares about impact tests? Just hold onto your phone and don't drop it. People act like it's rocket science. JUST HOLD ONTO IT!! :rolleyes:

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
I don't think we learned anything new here, but perhaps the obvious needed to be pointed out.

Presumably if you have a solid case that has a lip over the screen, that will do a lot to prevent breakage and the sapphire will be very unlikely to get scratched.

I guess if you end up with a sapphire glass cover over the display you'll definitely want to load that sucker into a case.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
They have a factory so they have their own melting process. So they can at very high temperature a compose between sapphire and some other material

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

This is the most common "injury" to smartphone screens. In my opinion, despite the hype, saphire isn't a good choice. Maybe for some kind of scratch-resistant coating, but not for the entire display.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast

Many watches currently use sapphire. I am under the impression that they offset the impact risk by making the glass much thicker, hence stronger. Something they cannot do with the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.