Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With rumors claiming the iPhone 6 will include a near field communications (NFC) chip from NXP to potentially support a mobile payments initiative from Apple flying in recent days, the existence of the chip now appears to have been confirmed. Luxury modified iPhone vendor Feld & Volk [Instagram page], which has shared a number of claimed parts from the iPhone 6 in recent weeks, has now gotten its hands on a complete logic board for the device.

iphone_5s_6_logic_boards.jpg
iPhone 5s logic board (left) and 4.7-inch iPhone 6 logic board (right)
The firm has shared a few photos of the logic board with Sonny Dickson, revealing the board's NFC chip from NXP.

iphone_6_nfc_board.jpg

Apple has confirmed that it will be holding a media event at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in Cupertino on September 9, and the company is naturally expected to introduce the iPhone 6 at the event with a launch coming shortly after. Apple is also said to be showing off its wearable device, commonly referred to as the iWatch, although it is unclear when that device will be available for sale.

Article Link: NFC Chip From NXP Confirmed for iPhone 6

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The said location is 49 pins, just like the NFC chip used in the Samsung Galaxy s5. I was able to confirm that once I actually got a package shot of that particular chip :eek:

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
What if it can only communicate with the iwatch and not for mobile payments!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Android - you better thank Apple for this...NFC will finally take off!

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Payment system

Screw payment system, I want my front door lock to be NFC and my car so i can open my house with my phone and my fingerprint.

I ideally want to leave my keys and wallet at home. phone and headphones. thats all you need.

exodiusprime

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Dallas, TX

Wouldn't that be backwards to only add NFC for ONE device? Then again, this is the same company that would rather make its own cables instead of using mini-USB like nearly everyone else (not that I don't like Lightning cables. Just saying)

kdarling

macrumors P6

Not likely, for two reasons:

1) NFC payments are here and will be accelerating, with or without Apple. Not supporting them would be like leaving out Bluetooth.

2) NFC makes little sense as a watch-phone interface. People are going to want to separate the devices more than two inches and still get notifications etc :)

--

PS. If these guys have a board, then they should give it to someone with the ability to X-Ray or de-cap the chips and figure out the amount of RAM, etc.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Screw payment system, I want my front door lock to be NFC and my car so i can open my house with my phone and my fingerprint.

I ideally want to leave my keys and wallet at home. phone and headphones. thats all you need.

What about your driver's license? I'm not going to start rejoicing until we are completely free from everything.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
only sad thing Apple is not going to be making as big a deal of this technology as a lot of people seem to think a the Keynote.

It should the way things are looking work as a general overview pitch with potential features coming for the future.

Seems the only thign we aren't covering right now is what games are going to be shown off no the new phone and how excited is the camera demo going to be.

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Android - you better thank Apple for this...NFC will finally take off!

That's okay. I'll thank Apple for speeding up USB adoption and the addition of webcams to a laptop's bezel but NFC adoption was actually going well even before Apple.

Daku93

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
The NAND Chip in there is 16GB... I guess the rumors about that capacity being dropped are false...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
That's okay. I'll thank Apple for speeding up USB adoption and the addition of webcams to a laptop's bezel but NFC adoption was actually going well even before Apple.
Lol. Was it really going well? Please stop. We all know that wasn't the case.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013

I have never seen anyone use NFC and know of very few places in the UK that even bother to implement it.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
so what else is missing? they could now put all the parts together and turn the thing on, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.