Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
If apple commit to a piece of technology, it usually doing it right.

NFC will be widely used when iphone 6 available.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I have never seen anyone use NFC and know of very few places in the UK that even bother to implement it.

Exactly! Lol! Just because every major Android phone had NFC doesn't mean it was going well.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
The NAND Chip in there is 16GB... I guess the rumors about that capacity being dropped are false...

The rumor about iPhone 6 coming in 16, 64 (replacing 32 at the same price) and 128 gb is still alive though

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Screw payment system, I want my front door lock to be NFC and my car so i can open my house with my phone and my fingerprint.

I ideally want to leave my keys and wallet at home. phone and headphones. thats all you need.

Bluetooth can, and does, do this right now.

Daku93

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
The rumor about iPhone 6 coming in 16, 64 (replacing 32 at the same price) and 128 gb is still alive though

That is true. I really hope it will be like this. 32GB is not enough for me but I don't want to pay the 100€ extra...

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
I have never seen anyone use NFC and know of very few places in the UK that even bother to implement it.
same here, I could be wrong however at least in the UK I don't know of any retailer taking payments across the board via NFC. Come to think of it Gregg's have a system in place but not sure how well it's been received not good judging from our local branch doesn't have it anymore.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Screw payment system, I want my front door lock to be NFC and my car so i can open my house with my phone and my fingerprint.

I ideally want to leave my keys and wallet at home. phone and headphones. thats all you need.

Bluetooth LE would work just fine in that scenario though.

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Lol. Was it really going well? Please stop. We all know that wasn't the case.

What can I say? I use NFC often in Chicago.

Chicago. I can use NFC at drug stores and convenience stores, to pay for CTA bus/train (our transit system in the city), gas stations (though I don't use my phone there for obvious reasons).

Also have been using NFC to pair bluetooth speakers, unlock my phone (Motorola's Skip) and transfer files, webpages, etc. from one Android phone to another.

Obviously it hasn't reached bluetooth or wi-fi like ubiquity but the ecosystem is actually pretty strong. Sure Apple joining will only make it stronger, but my point is that NFC isn't something that's failing and could really use Apple for support.

Thunderbolt on the other hand.. (and I LOVE Thunderbolt)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Exactly! Lol! Just because every major Android phone had NFC doesn't mean it was going well.

Everyone knows Apple doesn't add things just so they have this long checklist they can tout. As Jony Ive said last year:

We never would, but we could just stack up feature after feature after feature that would make for a long list but would make for a completely un-useful phone. [Touch ID] was something that I think we all felt was a very useful feature, and we started with a desire to solve the problem. We didn’t start opportunistically with 10 bits of technology that we could try to find a use for to add to our features list.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Not likely, for two reasons:

1) NFC payments are here and will be accelerating, with or without Apple. Not supporting them would be like leaving out Bluetooth.

2) NFC makes little sense as a watch-phone interface. People are going to want to separate the devices more than two inches and still get notifications etc :)

--

PS. If these guys have a board, then they should give it to someone with the ability to X-Ray or de-cap the chips and figure out the amount of RAM, etc.

We just need a good look at the silk screens.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

Lidl have it. CoOP have it. Thats the two I've noticed. Oh hang on a few chemists have it.hmm actually theres quite a few but only ever seen someone use it in Lidl

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
The first thing that comes up when you Google "NFC usage in USA" is this article.

Are NFC payments dead? - Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tristanlouis/2013/05/11/are-nfc-payments-dead/

a) Betteridge's law of headlines

b) Forbes is hardly the definitive authority on this subject

c) Apple can benefit from NFC, but NFC doesn't need Apple. Apple will accelerate adoption of NFC, not enable it. Just like Bluetooth, Wifi, USB all didn't need Apple.

bonus d) don't people realize that Mastercard and Visa have enabled NFC-based payments? When I'm at the supermarket I tap my credit card, I don't swipe .. NFC is embedded in many places in the US, you just have to pay attention

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
That's okay. I'll thank Apple for speeding up USB adoption and the addition of webcams to a laptop's bezel but NFC adoption was actually going well even before Apple.

Here in the U.S., I've never even heard of NFC. Only stories from MacRumors. I also can't see Apple pushing adoption much. For all that hype, iBeacon hasn't taken off at all either. Also, how is banking with NFC worth the setup? I'd have to carry my wallet anyway for ID, cash, or anything that can't use NFC. My credit card doesn't weigh much or take up much space...

Last edited:

DonRivella

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Lol. Was it really going well? Please stop. We all know that wasn't the case.

I do mobile banking with a NFC card, and quick pay via NFC is also reasonably common where I live (less than 50% Android users). Of course it will get a major boost if/once Apple implements it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.