Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid all of the leaks today based on photos and videos from luxury modified iPhone vendor Feld & Volk [Instagram page], one additional point worth mentioning is the device's LTE modem. While photos posted to reveal the existence of an NFC chip from NXP has seen identifying marks on many of the other components blurred, a portion of the text printed on the LTE modem is visible, confirming the board does indeed contain Qualcomm's MDM9625M as had been previously rumored.

iphone_6_board_mdm9625.jpg
MDM9625M boxed in red
The MDM9625 is a Category 4 LTE modem, supporting speeds of up to 150 Mbps, compared to the MDM9615 Category 3 modem at up to 100 Mbps, which is found in the iPhone 5s, 5c, and 5. Some observers had been holding out hope that Apple might use Qualcomm's even faster MDM9635 Category 6 modem as is reportedly lined up for Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Alpha handset, but with Apple's history of conservatism in choosing its cellular technology and questions about production ramp-up for the MDM9635 make it unsurprising that Apple has opted for the MDM9625.

iphone_6_board_wtr.jpg
Likely WTR1625L boxed in red and WFR1620 boxed in blue
Part of the speed benefits of the MDM9625 and new LTE-Advanced technology compared to earlier generations of modems comes from the use of carrier aggregation to combine channels for greater bandwidth. With the MDM9625, this carrier aggregation requires a pair of companion chips, a WTR1625L transceiver chip and a WFR1620 chip. These chips appear to be located on the opposite of the iPhone 6 logic board from the LTE modem itself.

On the whole, the use of the MDM9625 in the iPhone 6 sets the stage for faster cellular data connectivity as networks are built out to support its capabilities, and Apple will likely tout some of these improvements during its media event scheduled for September 9.

(Thanks, chrmjenkins!)

Article Link: 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Logic Board Equipped With Qualcomm's MDM9625 LTE Modem

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
yeah the leaks are really out of control

if they do present a watch though, they did a stellar job of preventing leaks

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Damn talk about a content-packed day. Getting a mini iPhone event scattered across a handful of articles today.

stevefeinstein

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
But will it work on all the carriers?

I want a single phone I can pay full price for with no contracts that will be unlocked and work on any carrier I choose to put it on. Is there such a thing? Is the new iPhone? I know the verizon version of the 5S comes close since it has a sim and can be made to work on GSM networks too.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
"conservatism in choosing its cellular technology"

i.e. its desire to cut costs and offer a lower quality product to appease its shareholders.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
*accidentally clicks link for hour long youtube video, blows through entire data plan before realizing it*

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
yeah the leaks are really out of control

if they do present a watch though, they did a stellar job of preventing leaks

That's probably because any existing iWatches only exist within Apple HQ and reside in Tim's office under lock and key. And any involved in the project work inside Apple and know to keep their mouths shut or they lose their jobs.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I want a single phone I can pay full price for with no contracts that will be unlocked and work on any carrier I choose to put it on. Is there such a thing? Is the new iPhone? I know the verizon version of the 5S comes close since it has a sim and can be made to work on GSM networks too.

It will get better with this model, especially since you can see at least one of the newer multi-band, multi-mode power amp chips from Skyworks on the front. There's still going to be a few different models though, I would imagine. It is difficult to support all of the bands with a finite set of antennas and only so much space for components.

Their LTE page suggest they have 5 different models. https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

"conservatism in choosing its cellular technology"

i.e. its desire to cut costs and offer a lower quality product to appease its shareholders.

9635M is on the new 20nm process. Its companion WTR3925 is also built on a new 28nm RF process (down from 65nm). Thus, it could be issues of volume and yield or even design turnaround rather than profit margins.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
*accidentally clicks link for hour long youtube video, blows through entire data plan before realizing it*

My thoughts exactly, at the theoretical max speed, in one second you would download 18.75MB worth of data before you stop loading the page or go back. :( With a slower connection, you have more of an opportunity to back out and not waste as much data.

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
With data plans the way they are, speeds like that don't really interest me. I wouldn't be able to benefit from the speed increase for less than 20 seconds before hitting my limit.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
The tag line for the event should really say, "Do we really need to say any more?"

"We wish we could say more, so we'll have others say it for us"
:apple: Think Different :apple:

----------

With data plans the way they are, speeds like that don't really interest me. I wouldn't be able to benefit from the speed increase for less than 20 seconds before hitting my limit.

yeah and now that Verizon announced they will be throttling LTE customers...

i've about had it and it looks like i will have to switch to T-Mobile to get truly unlimited LTE service. lucky for me, my area and surrounding areas are blanketed with T-Mobile LTE. i use 20-30GB a month and Verizon will slam me.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
sprint spark

I have held on this long to sprint and it will now be worth it. Unlimited data + Sprint SPARK speeds :)

Yes that means I am still on a 4s with sprints 300kb 3G speeds :cool:

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
9635M is on the new 20nm process. Its companion WTR3925 is also built on a new 28nm RF process (down from 65nm). Thus, it could be issues of volume and yield or even design turnaround rather than profit margins.
This is exactly what the issue was. If they're planning even close to 80M units shipped, there is no way Qcom could deliver that much volume of their brand new 20nm silicon. They're barely supporting Korean variants of S5 and G3 that have been selling in tens of thousands rather than millions...
I'm still keeping the hope for 5.5" + MDM9635, but chances are probably slim to none.

Last edited:

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
I just hope that the new North American iPhone version is able to work with the LTE in Brazil... It is much cheaper and easy to buy the Amerincan than the French version....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.