Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As of today, both new customers and existing AT&T subscribers who activate a new line with a smartphone using AT&T's Next upgrade program will get a $100 bill credit.

attnextupgrade.jpg
Whether you already have an AT&T account, or you're choosing AT&T for the first time, it's easy to receive a $100 bill credit:

Purchase a new smartphone on AT&T Next.
Activate a new qualified wireless line of service on your new smartphone.
Remain active and in good standing.
Receive your $100 bill credit within 3 bill cycles
AT&T's Next upgrade program allows customers to purchase a smartphone or tablet with no money down and no contract, making monthly payments towards the retail cost of the device instead. Next also allows AT&T customers to upgrade their smartphone or tablet every 12 to 18 months after trading in their old devices.

AT&T offers both 20 and 24-month Next installment plans, which equate to a $32.50 or $27.09 monthly payment for an iPhone 5s, in addition to plan fees.

The Next promotion will end on 9/30/14, which means it will likely still be valid when Apple releases the iPhone 6. It is, however, limited to new lines and not available for upgrades.

Article Link: AT&T Offers $100 Bill Credit for New Next Line Activations

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like a pretty good deal--basically $100 off the price of the phone.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
If I'm not in a share everything plan how would the costs come out? I save 200 on the phone but pay 27$ A month. Where else is affected?

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
If iPhone 6 allows simultaneous voice and data on Verizon, AT&T will have lost it’s edge. This seems like a preemptive move to avoid losing customers to a more reliable (where I live) network.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Next program is a
complete joke!!!
How is financing at 0% a joke? Pretty much the same as buying the phone for full price out right but just spreading out the payments over a period of time (at 0% interest). With $100 off now it's even a better deal.

Now, depending on details of what plan you are on and what might change in relation to that with Next, maybe it might not make as much sense, but in many cases it might.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
How is financing at 0% a joke? Pretty much the same as buying the phone for full price out right but just spreading out the payments over a period of time (at 0% interest). With $100 off now it's even a better deal.

Now, depending on details of what plan you are on and what might change in relation to that with Next, maybe it might not make as much sense, but in many cases it might.

if you do the math, over the course of a contract, it makes no difference. they're just stealing money from ya. same BS, just a different way to 'market' their money hoarding scams really.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I believe the phones are locked, so you cannot take your phone with you if you'd like to switch (thus, no contract part becomes a bit moot) or use a local SIM card overseas during a trip. It is better to buy an unlocked phone at the full price rather than pay the same amount in installments.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
So many different programs and offers and plans and special deals!

Imagine how nice it would be if carriers charged you what the service actually cost them, plus a fixed percentage markup as their profit.

I'd like a unicorn too, please.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
if you do the math, over the course of a contract, it makes no difference. they're just stealing money from ya. same BS, just a different way to 'market' their money hoarding scams really.
I've done the math a few times. For some plans contract might be better for others something like Next is better. Often the difference is a hundred to a few hundred over a period of 2 years. So, depends on a particular situation, but it's certainly not a rip-off just by itself in all cases.

Overall not much stealing is going on as with something like Next you are simply paying the full price of the phone and nothing more. And with a contract you are paying for the phone through the initial payment and then higher monthly cost of service, where you might end up paying more than the full price of the phone over the term of the contract potentially depending on how much you paid initially and all that.

----------

I believe the phones are locked, so you cannot take your phone with you if you'd like to switch (thus, no contract part becomes a bit moot) or use a local SIM card overseas during a trip. It is better to buy an unlocked phone at the full price rather than pay the same amount in installments.
Yes, the locked part can play a role for some people. Although you can pay off the phone on Next and get it unlocked at that point.

For a similar Edge program with Verizon the phones are unlocked by default, so that can make it more appealing (for those with Verizon or who would want to go with it)...if only Verizon would follow along (as the big carriers often do amongst themselves) and offer something similar.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
How exactly is it a rip off?

At $27/Mo, it is $324 the first year, or $648 for 2 years, Vs $199. Just for the hardware. I can pay $199 up front and be done with it. For most people, putting it on a credit card and making payments it would be cheaper.

If I get a new iPhone every 2 years, I can sell the current one for AT LEAST $200, and use that to buy the next one. I do this every time. This is like pay once, all subsequent ones are free.

That's exactly how it's a rip off. Ya think at&t would have any program at all this isn't a rip off? Every service all of these telcos and cable companies offer is a rip off.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
At $27/Mo, it is $324 the first year. Just for the hardware. I can pay $200 up front and be done with it. For most people, putting it on a credit card and making payments it would be cheaper.
You get a discount off your monthly line cost though. Whereas on contract you don't. So that needs to be factored in as well into the calculation, as that's where one of the big differences in all of this lies. And, depending on the plan you are on and how much of a discount you might be getting monthly something like Next can cost less overall.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
You get a discount off your monthly line cost though. Whereas on contract you don't. So that needs to be factored in as well into the calculation, as that's where one of the big differences in all of this lies. And, depending on the plan you are on and how much of a discount you might be getting monthly something like Next can cost less overall.

(27*24) - (15*24) = 288 - 200 = 88. So if you plan on upgrading once you are done paying off the phone you are paying an extra 88. If you plan on holding off on upgrading you have to wait 6 months to break even on next then on the 7th month then you start saving money.

Im not 100% sure how the upgrade every year on NEXT works tho. Do you just keep paying the same 27$ extra every month or do they double it? Cause i know they take your old phone.

Any way I'm going to assume that what i know is correct.

(27*12) - (15*12) = 144 + no old phone
You can sell a year old iPhone for around 300$ so 450-300=150 on contract.

So ultimately it is a similar price.

Last edited:

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
The misinformation on the AT&T Next program is just...scary.
People seem to think you never own the phone...
You own the phone once you've paid for it...on a 0% APR loan. That you can pay off early without penalty.
With the 2 year contract the phone isn't unlocked until the end of the 2 years - because that is when you have finally paid off the phone subsidy through your increased monthly phone bill. You can't pay it off early and unlock it unless you pay the ETF.
There really is no downside to the Next program. It is way more flexible than the 2 year contract.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
The misinformation on the AT&T Next program is just...scary.
People seem to think you never own the phone...
You own the phone once you've paid for it...on a 0% APR loan. That you can pay off early without penalty.
With the 2 year contract the phone isn't unlocked until the end of the 2 years - because that is when you have finally paid off the phone subsidy through your increased monthly phone bill. You can't pay it off early and unlock it unless you pay the ETF.
There really is no downside to the Next program. It is way more flexible than the 2 year contract.

How is paying off the loan any different than the ETF?

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
I've done the math a few times. For some plans contract might be better for others something like Next is better. Often the difference is a hundred to a few hundred over a period of 2 years. So, depends on a particular situation, but it's certainly not a rip-off just by itself in all cases.

Overall not much stealing is going on as with something like Next you are simply paying the full price of the phone and nothing more. And with a contract you are paying for the phone through the initial payment and then higher monthly cost of service, where you might end up paying more than the full price of the phone over the term of the contract potentially depending on how much you paid initially and all that.

all true but like others have stated here, it's not any benefit to you as a customer. it's like leasing a car, if your gonna 'Next' in 12 months, you just threw away $390. whereas, one can buy their phone outright instead, then just flip it online and get back most of what you paid depending on the condition. (of course if you plan on keeping the phone, it's just a short term loan)

this is just another way for AT&T to get in your pockets. they are just changing their model, keep things 'fresh' I suppose. just a way to reel in the money while giving the customer an illusion of savings.

DaveWonders

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
all true but like others have stated here, it's not any benefit to you as a customer. it's like leasing a car, if your gonna 'Next' in 12 months, you just threw away $390. whereas, one can buy their phone outright instead, then just flip it online and get back most of what you paid depending on the condition. (of course if you plan on keeping the phone, it's just a short term loan)

this is just another way for AT&T to get in your pockets. they are just changing their model, keep things 'fresh' I suppose. just a way to reel in the money while giving the customer an illusion of savings.

But you could pay the 0% loan off after 12 months, own the original phone, flip it like you describe, and then start another Next phone. Right?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

If you trade it back in, perhaps. If you keep the phone and pay it off whenever then it's like buying it outright just paying in installments. If you are comparing it to getting an on contract phone and selling that phone for profit, perhaps you might win some money there (although your monthly rate is higher with a contract), but that's not really an equivalent comparison since we are talking about someone using/keeping their phone.

----------

But you could pay the 0% loan off after 12 months, own the original phone, flip it like you describe, and then start another Next phone. Right?
Yup, you can pay it off pretty much anytime after the first month or two.

----------

(27*24) - (15*24) = 288 - 200 = 88. So if you plan on upgrading once you are done paying off the phone you are paying an extra 88. If you plan on holding off on upgrading you have to wait 6 months to break even on next then on the 7th month then you start saving money.

Im not 100% sure how the upgrade every year on NEXT works tho. Do you just keep paying the same 27$ extra every month or do they double it? Cause i know they take your old phone.

Any way I'm going to assume that what i know is correct.

(27*12) - (15*12) = 144 + no old phone
You can sell a year old iPhone for around 300$ so 450-300=150 on contract.

So ultimately it is a similar price.
Depending on the plan you have the monthly discount can be $25 (instead of $15).

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
you just threw away $390.

No you didn't, because if you're smart you pay off the phone and then sell it (for a profit), then potentially start up a new Next program with the new phone.

What can you do after 12 months on a 2 year contract? Pay the ETF.
I'd rather clearly see exactly how much of my phone is paid off at any point.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
If you trade it back in, perhaps. If you keep the phone and pay it off whenever then it's like buying it outright just paying in installments. If you are comparing it to getting an on contract phone and selling that phone for profit, perhaps you might win some money there (although your monthly rate is higher with a contract), but that's not really an equivalent comparison since we are talking about someone using/keeping their phone.

----------

Yup, you can pay it off pretty much anytime after the first month or two.

----------

Depending on the plan you have the monthly discount can be $25 (instead of $15).

yeah pretty much. my point though is its not any cheaper than a contract. same stuff, easier month to month for some perhaps.

but all this has already been discussed on other threads so yeah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.