Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

douglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I'm looking for project management software for my Mac similar to MS Project (preferably simpler), to be used for project and construction scheduling. I have used MS Project via Virtual PC in the past, but this was complicated and a less than elegant solution. any sugestions would be much appreciated.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
douglas said:
I'm looking for project management software for my Mac similar to MS Project (preferably simpler), to be used for project and construction scheduling. I have used MS Project via Virtual PC in the past, but this was complicated and a less than elegant solution. any sugestions would be much appreciated.

Entourage/Office 2004 has a Project management integrated into it. might be worthwhile to check out.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
douglas said:
VersionTracker is your friend. MacUpdate will also give a hand.

douglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Thanks. I'll give these a try. Please let me know if anyone has had experience with construction scheduling with any of these programs.

JackieMB

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
Surprised there was no response

Thanks. I'll give these a try. Please let me know if anyone has had experience with construction scheduling with any of these programs.

A software program that works well for scheduling construction projects is FastTrack Schedule. It is a cross-compatible application (runs on Macs and Windows). The founder of the company is actually a project manager and has worked on many types of construction projects around the world. One of his reasons for having the program developed was because there were no tools that did what he had to do by hand.

If you haven't discovered FastTrack Schedule yet, I recommend it. I've used it for more than 25 years now. I love how it is compatible with all kinds of applications (including Microsoft Project and Excel), so that I can share my schedules with other people.

They've also come out with an iPad app that's been great for analytics and presentations, as well as... being able to use their Omit feature to give my employees the parts of the schedule that apply to them (they don't need the whole thing).

http://www.aecsoftware.com

Last edited:

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England

The two main serious Mac applications for project management (both of which can import/export MS Project files) are:

* Merlin 2: http://www.projectwizards.net/en/merlin/
* Omniplan 2: http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniplan/

Both have demos available to download.

Omniplan 2 is a little easier to use, Merlin 2 is more heavyweight, it depends what your needs are. I prefer Omniplan.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Please note, this thread is from 2005, I think most of the original posters have died from old age already. Looks like JackieMB is just an employee out to post as much as they can about FastTrack, resurrecting such an old post with a reply like that seems like it.

DoctorCrap

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Penang, Malaysia
Please note, this thread is from 2005, I think most of the original posters have died from old age already. Looks like JackieMB is just an employee out to post as much as they can about FastTrack, resurrecting such an old post with a reply like that seems like it.

I was just about to respond to this thread. Good thing I realized this.

JackieMB

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012

Hi- I don't work for FastTrack. I'm new to MacRumors and I didn't realize it was an old thread.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Simpler than MS Project, but elegant interface.

Granted, it's an 8 year old thread, but seems some new info is helpful.

I've been using this one for a while now, very nice design, follows core PM principles, but much more simplified.

xPlan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.