Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
a barely better than 720p screen, 1GB ram, crappy battery capacity - wow, I thought these leaks are for a windows mobile phone!

The screen quality on the 5s is amazing.
1GB of RAM on a PHONE is enough.
Battery life, well you can't comment on that until you've used it properly.

To me, all of your points are invalid.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
You expect things to work as they should from this made up device? And then you even speculate what that is? Just don't post news about this nonsense.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

to me, you're points seems like an apple apology.

I said in another thread: There are very few smart people in this world; But there are many dumb people - with lots of money!

And those will be the ones in line for this pathetic 2014 device. Same boring UI, same crappy RAM, same bullcrap marketing retina.

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
I'm not a huge fan of the curved back though. Love the clean the clean straight lines on my 5S.

That said, I care way more about features than how the thing looks. Not specs, because I've never felt like the prior phones are too slow or that I run out of memory very often. More like what can this phone do that my 5S can't? Sensors? More connectivity options? I don't know, so I think that will be the interesting part of the keynote.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006

I think his points are very valid on a flagship phone released at the end of 2014. There are more than just specs but I do expect a minimum spec level. And 1GB is not enough on the 5S and definitely the iPad.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

I said in another thread: There are very few smart people in this world; But there are many dumb people - with lots of money!

And those will be the ones in line for this pathetic 2014 device. Same boring UI, same crappy RAM, same bullcrap marketing retina.

Yeah, that's right, the iPhone 6 is going to be a pile of junk. Millions of people WON'T buy this phone.

EDIT: It seems, for some reason, many people actually believe the statement above. I was joking of course, the iPhone 6 will be a gorgeous looking phone and will set record sales.

Last edited:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I think his points are very valid on a flagship phone released at the end of 2014. There are more than just specs but I do expect a minimum spec level. And 1GB is not enough on the 5S and definitely the iPad.

Yes but you know that it'll be optimised and will run as smooth as silk. For me, 1GB of RAM is enough.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006

The test question is to make this device agnostic. If you mentioned these specs and left Apple out this forum would be mocking a mid-tier Android phone similarly equipped.

I wouldn't say pathetic but def middle of the road and disappointing in 2014.

----------

Yes but you know that it'll be optimised and will run as smooth as silk. For me, 1GB of RAM is enough.

Not for me. Safari refreshes way too much. More so on the iPad but it's a problem. I wish more people were forward thinking.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds good to me.

Now... I just hope Gruber is WRONG about 3x (~460PPI) on the 5.5"... A battery-burning high DPI you can't even see in any normal use. (Only sounds good on paper. I wish other companies hadn't started that trend.)

But I fear he's probably right. 3x coupled with Gurman's "point" numbers works out logically the way he describes.

I'm sure battery life will still be OK, and I'll probably try the 5.5" just for novelty (I can always change back in a couple years). But I'll also know the battery life could have been even better with a saner PPI: if all sizes of the iPhone kept the already great (and developer-friendly) 326 PPI, giving the 5.5" 1564 × 880.

1080p and beyond is marketing fluff (and yes, it works well for that) on a pocket device.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
So you're calling me dumb because what I'm saying is true? Right, OK.

And yeah, that's right, the iPhone 6 is going to be a pile of junk. Millions of people WON'T buy this phone.

Now you're spinning some Phil schiller BS here...

Millions will line up for this device. Apple will make a fortune. Stock investors will be happy to see apple stock rise. Tim cook gets a bonus. Jony Ive's will still want the damn thing to be thinner. Phil Schiller will be happy to say, "can't innovate my A**!"

On the other hand, smart people can see there is nothing innovative about this new iPhone 6. NFC, LTE modem (cat 4), ridiculously retarded screen resolution, small battery capacity - all have been done by competitors already.

In fact, aside from build quality, apple is just milking the poor saps because you know the iPhone 6S will sport some trickle hand me down feature to make you open up your wallets again and pay for incremental changes.

Sigh, there's no point in arguing because no matter what apple dishes out, apple apologists will find another excuse to cover for them. It's hilarious to hear people say 1GB ram is plenty and how it can save battery while competition has 2X or more and yet still kill the iPhone in battery performance.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Personally, I like the news. I don't see a point in increasing the density to crazy levels at the expense of battery life when any higher PPI will be serious diminishing returns. I understand that it can matter for media, but I feel excellent pinch and zoom capabilities render the amount of content shown kind of a moot point.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Sounds good to me.

Now... I just hope Gruber is WRONG about 3x (~460PPI) on the 5.5"... A battery-burning high DPI you can't even see in any normal use. (Only sounds good on paper. I wish other companies hadn't started that trend.)

But I fear he's probably right. 3x coupled with Gurman's "point" numbers works out logically the way he describes.

I'm sure battery life will still be OK, and I'll probably try the 5.5" just for novelty (I can always change back in a couple years). But I'll also know the battery life could have been even better with a saner PPI: if all sizes of the iPhone kept the already great (and developer-friendly) 326 PPI, giving the 5.5" 1564 × 880.

1080p and beyond is marketing fluff (and yes, it works well for that) on a pocket device.

1080p is a novelty until Apple does it. Some of you people amaze me. I can clearly see the difference in the 5S compared to the S5 display.

Both the resolution and the lack of RAM are a problem. It will be a bigger problem if Apple leaves it at 1GB for the iPad. Definitely skipping this year.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Now you're spinning some Phil schiller BS here...

Millions will line up for this device. Apple will make a fortune. Stock investors will be happy to see apple stock rise. Tim cook gets a bonus. Jony Ive's will still want the damn thing to be thinner. Phil Schiller will be happy to say, "can't innovate my A**!"

On the other hand, smart people can see there is nothing innovative about this new iPhone 6. NFC, LTE modem (cat 4), ridiculously retarded screen resolution, small battery capacity - all have been done by competitors already.

In fact, aside from build quality, apple is just milking the poor saps because you know the iPhone 6S will sport some trickle hand me down feature to make you open up your wallets again and pay for incremental changes.

Sigh, there's no point in arguing because no matter what apple dishes out, apple apologists will find another excuse to cover for them. It's hilarious to hear people say 1GB ram is plenty and how it can save battery while competition has 2X or more and yet still kill the iPhone in battery performance.

Wow. Ever heard of sarcasm?

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Looks like there is less bezel at the sides too judging by that pic.

I think the iPhone 6 bezel is made to appear thinner by rounding the edges of the glass display. If the glass display was completely flat (like the iPhone 5s) the bevel should probably be similar. Looks to be a clever design trick to minimize the apparent thickness of the bevel.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I’ve said this in the past: regardless if what Gruber says about not having “inside information”, many times when he writes about very specific details/specifications, it’s not based solely on his own theories.

Hoping the 5.5” with the 2208x1242 display is real too :cool:

I don't think there is any doubt. He doesn't pretend that he is coming up with all of this on his own, either. He certainly isn't shy about mentioning that he talks with folks inside of Apple regularly.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I do get a little disappointed when I see the specs, but this will nonetheless be one of the most well-rounded phones on the market, if not number one. Still, I think the previous design changes were better.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
This iPhone could have never ending battery life, a nuclear generator as a SoC... I don't care.

With 1 GB of RAM, we know people will be getting screwed when they buy one. To a lesser extent, it already happened with iPad Air, mini retina and even the 5s. What a bummer, if true.

Since the a7 is already limited by the 1 GB of Ram, they might as well use it on the next devices too.

The iPads need more RAM. The iPhone 6 should be fine.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Both the resolution and the lack of RAM are a problem. It will be a bigger problem if Apple leaves it at 1GB for the iPad. Definitely skipping this year.

I currently have a 5s and a Retina Mini. I can't say that I've noticed a lack of RAM in either device being an issue. Both seem fluid and fast.

Are there specific activities that you partake in with your devices where you notice stuttering or slowness?

RAM always seems to be in question around the launch of new devices, but I personally have rarely found it to be a problem in my everyday activities. I'm not big into games, which is presumably where I'd notice it?

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
If the 5.5" version turns out to have far more superior specs than the 4.7", I would be so mad.

As I've been saying all month...the 4.7 is going to be a nice phone. Solid all around phone for the people who don't care about GB, Resolutions,etc. Apple is placing all their money on the 5.5. More profit in that phone because its something we haven't seen yet.

I’ve said this in the past: regardless if what Gruber says about not having “inside information”, many times when he writes about very specific details/specifications, it’s not based solely on his own theories.

Hoping the 5.5” with the 2208x1242 display is real too :cool:

So, I thought about this and lets just say the 5.5 is absolutely a home run.....

Would Apple really release a more quality built phone that the 5.5 looks or is said to be.....at a later date? Its almost like "Here is this amazing 5.5 phone we have with the 2GB, more resolution, sapphire screen, etc but you can't purchase that until 30 or 60 days from now but the 4.7 you can purchase on 9/19"

I have a feeling Apple would be punching themselves in the face if the better spec phone is released much later. They would put a lot of people on the fence which would hurt their 4.7 sales A LOT. Either, there is no 5.5 or they both come out at the same time. Not different dates like other sites have claimed.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I currently have a 5s and a Retina Mini. I can't say that I've noticed a lack of RAM in either device being an issue. Both seem fluid and fast.

Are there specific activities that you partake in with your devices where you notice stuttering or slowness?

RAM always seems to be in question around the launch of new devices, but I personally have rarely found it to be a problem in my everyday activities. I'm not big into games, which is presumably where I'd notice it?

It's all around Safari. iPad tab refreshes way too often with 2-3 tabs open. It's better on the 5S, but still happens. An extra GB would fix this problem and really make both take that step to the next level.

The OS is otherwise fine with 1GB, but I use Safari mainly on the iPad.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
It's all around Safari. iPad tab refreshes way too often with 2-3 tabs open. It's better on the 5S, but still happens. An extra GB would fix this problem and really make both take that step to the next level.

I see. I do heavily use Safari, but I rarely have more than a tab or two open at at time.

In the end, the decision point internally at Apple is likely waged around how many people experience that particular annoyance (I suspect most people are similar to me in that regard) and how willing are they to eat into their margins to resolve it? Sounds like we have our answer to those questions if in fact the device carries 1GB of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.