Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You're missing my point, its not that they're about to release a larger phone, but rather they're following Samsung on design. They should be proactive in design and features.

Wireless charging, NFC larger form factors, better multitasking, these are all features already in place with competitors. Apple should be leading not following.

So you don't want to see any of those features in a new iPhone? And there's no possible way Apple could design and implement them better than their competitors? What could Apple do right now that you would consider leading?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So you don't want to see any of those features in a new iPhone? And there's no possible way Apple could design and implement them better than their competitors? What could Apple do right now that you would consider leading?

My point is that apple is letting others innovate and then adds those features later.

As for doing it better, I don't think so - at least not consistently better. I think android's multitasking and notification system are superior to iOS'.

As for not wanting to see them, that really doesn't make sense, I'm talking about Apple playing it safe and adding them later. Of course I'd like to see iOS extended and improved.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
It's like this exactly..

The big shiny red fruity company isn't losing it's way. It is losing touch with the fabric of realities. It doesn't care about the people, why should it?

You care so much because you are all sold on the beautiful feelings factor in which they heavily rely on in their adverts! They won over millions of impressionable romantics out there for shiny gadgets.

With this illusion trick mastered, they can sell you anything and they can leave huge amounts of things out, but once you notice, they'll sprinkle random stardust here and there in an update or two every 6 years like it is some huge impactful innovation, and we all go mad crazy ape poop over it!

As long as a lot of us continue to buy this junk in beautiful packaging - they keep producing what ever they like, it is all about them - please don't be delusional and think huge corporations "care" or "feel" they seriously do not, everything they do is only for their bottom line.

Do you care enough to say enough is enough?

To those who seem to think they need a few apple devices to do different tasks, I say - you are in way too deep over your heads. Since early 2006 I still do everything on a 17"MBP, I don't jump on it everywhere I go, so why should it do everything for me while I'm on a fast bumpy subway ride or on my bike or sitting at the park next to a mountain? I do everything I need to do in environments like school, cafe, studio, office...

If you need 2 or more apple devices working simultaneously to complete your tasks, there is a deeper problem to resolve :) I'm unemployable if I can't figure out the best most efficient way towards mass productivity on one device, if I have to multitask on several devices while still not meeting the bottom line, is seriously disturbing to me :D

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Yep yep.

Apple, even when Jobs was still around, made it clear that they only want to focus on a few good well-made well-designed products, rather than create and sell a slew of rush-job (mediocre) products (i.e. Samsung).

Apple doesn't want to be a jack of all trades company. It would rather be a Master of Few, rather than be Jack of All Products.

Offering an anti-glare option is not being "a jack of all trades". It basically says, we want our Macs to be works of art with shiny screens. And stuff everyone who can't cope with glare screens. Let's be clear. Offering an anti-glare screen would NOT turn Apple into a Jack of all trades.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
My point is that apple is letting others innovate and then adds those features later.

Isn't refining what others have already done the key's to Apple's success? iPod wasn't the first (or most versatile) MP3 player, iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, iPad wasn't the first tablet, MB Air wasn't the first ultralight, etc.,.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Isn't refining what others have already done the key's to Apple's success? iPod wasn't the first (or most versatile) MP3 player, iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, iPad wasn't the first tablet, MB Air wasn't the first ultralight, etc.,.

They weren't first to market but back then they were the ones adding disruptive innovation to conquer whatever market they entered.

Now they've sunk to sparse incremental innovation and in many cases, just playing catch up to competitors. They also haven't expanded into a new market under Cook, which is the real test. That iWatch reveal should say a lot. If they frame it as an accessory meant to get you to buy the iPhone 6, instead of as a separate market expansion, they're definitely going downhill. If they make people believe wearables are the future and include some disruptive tech competitors can't readily duplicate, they'll be fine.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

You're right but they saw opportunities in those sectors that they could take advantage. Now with so many more competitors jumping into those opportunities, apple needs to move faster.

For instance, the wearables. Before there was basically only Nike, and a couple of other companies. Now everyone and their brother is rolling out a wearable product but apple has yet to produce one, even though rumors of such has been going on for 2+ years. At some point if they are producing a wearable product they have roll it out or give up on it.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
everyone and their brother is rolling out a wearable product but apple has yet to produce one

Personally, I can't say that there are really any wearables on the market that I see attracting a larger yet discerning audience. Arguably MP3 players in comparison were actually more widespread when the iPod was released.

cyberlocke

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
They weren't first to market but back then they were the ones adding disruptive innovation to conquer whatever market they entered.

Now they've sunk to sparse incremental innovation and in many cases, just playing catch up to competitors. They also haven't expanded into a new market under Cook, which is the real test. That iWatch reveal should say a lot. If they frame it as an accessory meant to get you to buy the iPhone 6, instead of as a separate market expansion, they're definitely going downhill. If they make people believe wearables are the future and include some disruptive tech competitors can't readily duplicate, they'll be fine.

I'm very excited about the iWatch (or whatever the wearable is), but like you said, curious to know how standalone the product will be. However, more gadgets for the sake of more gadgets (I've personally been obsessed with simplicity lately, and something else to charge, lose, break, sync, etc. . . )

Anyway, I think this will be the test – what they do with it. At the very least, it is the most locked-down new product Apple has had in a very long time (we have no prototypes, no parts, no feature list, nothing) and that alone will make next Tuesday very interesting indeed.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

I think they were more adding disruptive marketing to conquer whatever market they entered. Having a showman like Steve Jobs say a piece of technology is "magical" and having everyone buy into it goes a long way. Jobs got people to believe and that stage presence is irreplaceable.

They also haven't expanded into a new market under Cook, which is the real test. That iWatch reveal should say a lot. If they frame it as an accessory meant to get you to buy the iPhone 6, instead of as a separate market expansion, they're definitely going downhill. If they make people believe wearables are the future and include some disruptive tech competitors can't readily duplicate, they'll be fine.

Apple has become a victim of their own success. If they don't hit home runs... no, if they don't hit grand slams then people dog them even though probably any company on Earth would kill for the kid of success Apple has had over the last 15 years.

It's like Pixar making bad movies. It'll happen and they'll take way more heat for it than any other studio because their unparalleled success has set the bar so high.

For instance, the wearables. Before there was basically only Nike, and a couple of other companies. Now everyone and their brother is rolling out a wearable product but apple has yet to produce one, even though rumors of such has been going on for 2+ years. At some point if they are producing a wearable product they have roll it out or give up on it.

Besides gadgety-pedometer wearables what notable wearables have come out and taken the mass market by storm? You make it sound like everyone is sporting a Samsung smart watch, and for the pedometers isn't that same functionality built into the iPhone 5?

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Interesting conversation. I don't believe they've lost their way. They have become what all mass marketers become, a solution for the general public. Unfortunately for many of us, we're not part of that group.

I've been using Mac's since 1984. I've been through countless numbers of them, always buying 1, often 2 every year. My current inventory is a 2009 iMac and a 2010 mini. Just bought my wife a new Air as I finally gave up trying to use an iPad for photography during travel.

I've probably indirectly sold 40 Mac's over the years convincing people they should switch. Over the last few years I no longer suggest Mac. If they're happy with Windows fine. If not, I remind them learning any new OS is a steep learning curve.

I've probably owned 50 iOS devices. I like them. However I don't like Apple's walled garden. I especially don't like iCloud. It would be a great file system but its so poorly executed in just about every way I find it useless. So I use DropBox. As Apple iOS apps don't support DropBox, I use 3rd party apps.

Do I need iOS? Its easy to sync with my Mac's. Am I tied to them, hardly. Do I need OSX? Sort of. Its easy as I have a deep knowledge base. Will Apple benefit by my long-term allegiance to them. No longer. I've basically stopped buying new Mac's and, other than Aperture, use no Apple software. Which reminds me, I now have to seek an alternative to Aperture.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I think they were more adding disruptive marketing to conquer whatever market they entered. Having a showman like Steve Jobs say a piece of technology is "magical" and having everyone buy into it goes a long way. Jobs got people to believe and that stage presence is irreplaceable.

Their marketing has always been exceptional but they had actual disruption backing it up. They used the internet to disrupt music and mobile app distribution and leveraged that into ipod and iphone sales. They blew up the tablet market and used it to destroy the netbook market. Their hardware business strategy was countering Microsoft's model. Instead of cheap hardware + expensive software, they pushed cheap software + expensive hardware, which is now the standard on mobile and eroding software margins on PC.

Disruption was in their culture under Jobs. People are wondering if it still is

Last edited:

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Their marketing has always been exceptional but they had actual disruption backing it up. They used the internet to disrupt music and mobile app distribution and leveraged that into ipod and iphone sales. They blew up the tablet market and used it to destroy the netbook market. Their hardware business strategy was countering Microsoft's model. Instead of cheap hardware + expensive software, they pushed cheap software + expensive hardware, which is now the standard on mobile and eroding software margins on PC.

Disruption was in their culture under Jobs. People are wondering if it still is

I know what you mean. Under Jobs, Apple innovated a new product every 15 minutes instead of every 4-5 years. It was wonderful. And Jobs never ever ever ever released any product that annoyed users or just flat out bombed.

And since the current iPhone is the exact same model that was released in 2007, you're exactly right. They no longer innovate. Especially since iterative updates are in no way considered innovative features.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I know what you mean. Under Jobs, Apple innovated a new product every 15 minutes instead of every 4-5 years. It was wonderful. And Jobs never ever ever ever released any product that annoyed users or just flat out bombed.

And since the current iPhone is the exact same model that was released in 2007, you're exactly right. They no longer innovate. Especially since iterative updates are in no way considered innovative features.

You don't know anything because your reading comprehension sucks

Go learn the difference between disruptive and incremental innovation. Disruption is why their stock acted like a growth stock under Jobs and what nobody knows if Tim Cook is capable of doing

Incremental innovation is what you're all about, acting like Apple is innovative because Jony Ive was able to shave half a mm off the next iPhone and moved the buttons around

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You're right but they saw opportunities in those sectors that they could take advantage. Now with so many more competitors jumping into those opportunities, apple needs to move faster.

So do you actually want a wearable or you just think Apple needs to release one because everybody else is releasing them? The day Apple does things just because everybody else is doing them is the day Apple ceases to be Apple anymore.

----------

Go learn the difference between disruptive and incremental innovation. Disruption is why their stock acted like a growth stock under Jobs and what nobody knows if Tim Cook is capable of doing

Incremental innovation is what you're all about, acting like Apple is innovative because Jony Ive was able to shave half a mm off the next iPhone and moved the buttons around

Let's see, Steve Jobs was CEO (or iCEO) for ~13 years. Tim Cook has been CEO for all of 3 years. Not a very fair comparison. Come back in 10 years and let's compare.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC

Yikes. Dial back the personal attacks, please.

Their stock price hit a record high earlier this week. At least some investors seem to think Cook knows what he's doing.

Frankly, I don't care what kind of innovation it is. Saying that Apple no longer innovates is disingenuous at best. The iPhone 5S miles more advanced than any iPhone before it. Because of innovation. And I'm not talking about shaving mm off or moving buttons. I'm talking about things like the fingerprint scanner on the 5s. Siri. 24 hour battery life on the Macbook Air.

You're pretty obviously define innovation as entering a new product category, and you seem to think Apple under Jobs was somehow a lot more frequent about releasing these new devices.

Original Mac - 1984
iMac - 1997
iPod - 2001
iPhone - 2007
iPad - 2010

That's 5 "disruptive" products in 26 years. Am I missing any?

May I ask what sort of frequency you're expecting these new devices to be released under Tim Cook?

I'm just a bit tired of people complaining that "Apple no longer innovates" when that is patently false. And while Jobs was one of the most incredible visionaries that has ever lived, I'm tired of people retconning him into this infallible deity who could do no wrong and holding Tim Cook to that same unattainable mythical standard.

Apple is doing just fine. And I don't see any signs of them doing any less fine anytime soon.

Last edited:

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.

I feel SJ held them back post iPhone. Since then they gave been behind feature wise. the 4" iPhone 5 was a quick and dirty move to a normal screen, now they will catch up 100%. Android features being added to iOS has been common. iOS8 continues but there is innovation. I feel Homekit and Healthkit will be innovative, Continuity and Handoff is innovative. Extensability is a catchup. They are getting close to having a similar feature set, similar to be phone size. And they win on the quality ecosystem. A platform that caught up to Android, and retains the hardware quality, SoC, security, and ecosystem is a sound way to be

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Yikes. Dial back the personal attacks, please.

Next time I'll do what you do and troll you with sarcasm

Their stock price hit a record high earlier this week. At least some investors seem to think Cook knows what he's doing.

Their stock price also took a dump yesterday so some investors think he doesn't know what he's doing. Meanwhile the split only happened 3 months ago so who cares? I don't know why you're using the stock market equivalent of white noise to qualify a company

Frankly, I don't care what kind of innovation it is.

If you want Apple to continue to do well, you should care what kind of innovation it is. Read a Clayton Christensen book to find out why

You're pretty obviously define innovation as entering a new product category, and you seem to think Apple under Jobs was somehow a lot more frequent about releasing these new devices.

Pretty obviously? I said "disruptive innovation" not "new products". You're the only one bringing up new products. Examples I listed were of market disruption - music distribution, app distribution, flipping Microsoft's hw/sw commoditization model.

Tim Cook has a new product on the horizon. It doesn't matter that it's new. What matters is if disrupts the wearables or watch markets.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I said "disruptive innovation" not "new products". You're the only one bringing up new products. Examples I listed were of market disruption - music distribution, app distribution, flipping Microsoft's hw/sw commoditization model.

Tim Cook has a new product on the horizon. It doesn't matter that it's new. What matters is if disrupts the wearables or watch markets.

Disruption, yes that has nothing to do with products. Take the iPod. There were many MP3 players around, but Apple is now the largest music store in the world, due to the combination of iPod/iTunes/Business Model

Personally I dont see the iWatch doing this, but I do see Healthkit becoming the goto health mobile system, which is a combination of an iPhone or iWatch and Healthkit. I also see in the future, Homekit disrupting the Home Automation industry, and ironically all Apple is doing is putting all the many incompatible protocols under one unbrella, Homekit. Thats what thewy did to music, made it very easy for the average Joe to buy and listen to music, now the average Joe may find it very easy, convenient and do-able to gradually automate his home? if so, Apple will be the goto system. More sales

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Personally I dont see the iWatch doing this, but I do see Healthkit becoming the goto health mobile system, which is a combination of an iPhone or iWatch and Healthkit. I also see in the future, Homekit disrupting the Home Automation industry, and ironically all Apple is doing is putting all the many incompatible protocols under one unbrella, Homekit. Thats what thewy did to music, made it very easy for the average Joe to buy and listen to music, now the average Joe may find it very easy, convenient and do-able to gradually automate his home? if so, Apple will be the goto system. More sales

Healthkit definitely has a lot of disruptive potential if they're able to deeply integrate it with medical records, patient care, etc. And I agree with HomeKit, the smart home market is up and coming and Apple has an opportunity to be first to market when it comes to standardizing a common platform. That could be something that makes an Apple TV + Airport a necessity. Same goes with their use of NFC, if they're able to make it normal for people to scan their watch instead of pull out a credit card.

All depends on how Apple execs treat these technologies. Sometimes they go the extra mile and realize a vision (IE changing the way music is distributed). Other times they have some cool technology, treat it as a feature to sell whatever hardware is next, and neglect it (IE SIRI).

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
It is what it is. I am glad I got the iPhone 5c because I can't stand phones that are any bigger.

But if people buy them ...

I'm also disappointed to hear of the larger iPhones. I still have an iPhone 4, and while I've used a 5S I don't really want to have anything bigger... but by the same token I do badly need an upgrade and there's no way I'm buying last year's device if I have to shell out that kind of money; since I buy my phones out of pocket.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm also disappointed to hear of the larger iPhones. I still have an iPhone 4, and while I've used a 5S I don't really want to have anything bigger... but by the same token I do badly need an upgrade and there's no way I'm buying last year's device if I have to shell out that kind of money; since I buy my phones out of pocket.

I hear you. Still on my iPhone 4 and it's time to upgrade. Was given a 5S last week for work and size is OK but don't think I want anything bigger. Guess I need to hit the phone store and play with other big phones.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I hear you. Still on my iPhone 4 and it's time to upgrade. Was given a 5S last week for work and size is OK but don't think I want anything bigger. Guess I need to hit the phone store and play with other big phones.

maxresdefault.jpg

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!

Yeah, see what I mean? That's absurd. Not everyone wants to look like this guy:

3530-13-people-who-look-stupid-taking-pictures-with-their-apple-products-1.png

Plus my iPhone 4 is already too big if it shifts a bit sideways in my pocket anyway. I really wish they'd keep the 5S size at least and just introduce a larger one and put the same improved specs in both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.