Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I use Bluetooth in my car so I can listen to music on my iPhone 5 without plugging it into anything. However, every time I get a phone call or use Siri, the default "Audio Source" is set to my car instead of my iPhone so I hear my phone calls through my car speakers instead of the phone. I can change it by tapping "Audio Source" and changing it from my car to my iPhone, but it always resets back to my car every time I get into my car. Is there a way to set it to iPhone permanently?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I use Bluetooth in my car so I can listen to music on my iPhone 5 without plugging it into anything. However, every time I get a phone call or use Siri, the default "Audio Source" is set to my car instead of my iPhone so I hear my phone calls through my car speakers instead of the phone. I can change it by tapping "Audio Source" and changing it from my car to my iPhone, but it always resets back to my car every time I get into my car. Is there a way to set it to iPhone permanently?

I just noticed this the other day too. I actually didn't know I could change the audio source on the phone the first time I took a call (I just started using BT in my car less than a month ago). So I'm not sure how to remedy this either. I'll be watching this thread to see if there is a way.

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
I don't think u can set it permanently, least u can't in my Kia sorento... But I like using my car audio to chat much safer that way!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't think u can set it permanently, least u can't in my Kia sorento... But I like using my car audio to chat much safer that way!

It just never seems like the other person can hear me. And my phone is only about a foot away from my face when it's mounted on my window. Of course I've also only been talking to my dad who can't hear for **** anyway. Maybe I should try it with some one who can actually hear.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Mind saying what brand of stereo you have in your car(s). My kenwood aftermarket system I bought has a weird bluetooth setup. The sound quality through bluetooth is almost worst than FM Radio.....Also after trying to tweak it on the head unit itself I still can't get the subwoofer to kick in.... I have to connect it to the cable for it to work properly and sound good. Any ideas on why my BT quality is like this? Thanks!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Mind saying what brand of stereo you have in your car(s). My kenwood aftermarket system I bought has a weird bluetooth setup. The sound quality through bluetooth is almost worst than FM Radio.....Also after trying to tweak it on the head unit itself I still can't get the subwoofer to kick in.... I have to connect it to the cable for it to work properly and sound good. Any ideas on why my BT quality is like this? Thanks!

I'm using a JVC aftermarket receiver. I'm getting my amp and sub installed next week so I can't say whether I'm having this issue either.

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
It just never seems like the other person can hear me. And my phone is only about a foot away from my face when it's mounted on my window. Of course I've also only been talking to my dad who can't hear for **** anyway. Maybe I should try it with some one who can actually hear.

If you're using Bluetooth, it shouldn't matter where the phone is. Your car's microphone and speaker is being used. The problem may actually be your car's Bluetooth microphone and/or your father.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Yeah I wish I could permanently switch it. For now I bring up Siri and switch it before I start driving.

The mic in my head unit is behind the faceplate, so when on the phone people can barely understand me unless I yell directly at the faceplate. And trying to use Siri is impossible. The iPhone mic when it is in the cradle is 1000% more accurate.

So basically Siri + phone calls go through the handset speaker, music and system sounds (GPS, etc.) go through bluetooth to the stereo.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If you're using Bluetooth, it shouldn't matter where the phone is. Your car's microphone and speaker is being used. The problem may actually be your car's Bluetooth microphone and/or your father.

That could be it. There is a mic right below my sun visor, but I have no clue if it works. I thought it was one of those bag phone add on's. Haha. My car didn't come standard with a BT stereo. I put in an aftermarket system.

tooRiski

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
on my ford edge if I hit answer on the console it goes to the car speakers and mic, and if I answer from the iphone itself, the source is the phone, when the call is done the music goes back to the car speakers and the my ford touch screen. same with siri, the source changes by itself.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
on my ford edge if I hit answer on the console it goes to the car speakers and mic, and if I answer from the iphone itself, the source is the phone, when the call is done the music goes back to the car speakers and the my ford touch screen. same with siri, the source changes by itself.

Is that how it worked by default when you first connected your phone to your car via Bluetooth? Did change any settings to get that?

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007

Exactly. I have a Parrot bluetooth system installed in my car. I've used it for a couple of years. When a call comes in, the call is routed through the car's speakers and mic. That's the way it's supposed to work.

rsmcnair1

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Siri and car audio

Found this:

Talking to Siri can be either an exercise in frustration, or a miracle of modern technology, depending on your mood and how successful the Apple digital assistant is at interpreting what it is you’re asking. Typically, when you activate Siri with a long press and hold on the Home button, the input is collected via the microphone built into your iPHone or iPad.
If you have a Bluetooth accessory, though, you might not know that Siri can listen through that device as well. Here’s how to get Siri to do just that.
First, make sure that your Bluetooth accessory is connected to the iOS device you want to use to have Siri listen to for input. Not all external portable speakers, for instance, have a mic or speakerphone capabilities, so be sure you’re using one that does, like a hands-free kit in a car, or a Bluetooth earpiece.
Now, when you press and hold that Home button on your iPhone or iPad, you’ll see a glowing blue speaker icon just to the right of Siri’s typical microphone icon. Tap there, and then choose the Bluetooth device to set it as the input device.
Now Siri will listen to that device to collect your voice commands, and–if the device supports it–will give you back audio feedback (“Would you like me to search the web for coaster Rica?” Sigh.) via that device’s speakers, too.
Though, to be honest, I don’t think I could handle Siri blasting through my car stereo. Thank goodness my car is way older than the iPhone itself.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/227854/fiv...-iphone-and-ipad-feature/#OKOzhK0UyoeH6rkG.99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.