Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I loved the X-files, Breaking Bad and the Sopranos. Also love Ghost Adventures.

Now that Breaking Bad, the Office and 30 Rock are done, all I have left that I like are Cops, Ghost Adventures and Parks and Recreation.

I've also just started watching the last season of 24 which ended last month I think.

This week I did buy all the seasons of the Office and 30Rock since they were $9.99 each HD season. Sure I could watch them on Netflix but I think the iTunes quality is much better using my downloaded copies.

I work nights so it's hard to keep track of whats on TV these days. Everything that I have seen, I've bought on iTunes.

We just moved to Virginia into a loft complex that has free Directv. On that, there is the Chiller Channel. They play the X-Files on Sunday afternoon. This is the first time in years that I've seen that show on TV. I can't wait!

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Now I am watching season 8 of the new Doctor Who. I enjoyed the first two episodes. Also saw the pilot episode of The Cosmopolitans featured on Amazon Instant Video. Totally awesome. Prime Whit Stillman.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Report back! :) I faded on the series.

The series, all around, was brilliant. I am a big fan of the movie, so to me the series has so many connections to the movie. It was brilliant. The casting was unreal, the music was perfect, the feel was straight out of the 1996 film. I highly recommend it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The series, all around, was brilliant. I am a big fan of the movie, so to me the series has so many connections to the movie. It was brilliant. The casting was unreal, the music was perfect, the feel was straight out of the 1996 film. I highly recommend it.

Good to know it was worthwhile. :)

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm watching some episodes from Season 7 of Seinfeld tonight from my DVD/iTunes collection.

I never get tired of this comedy!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I''m so sad. I just found out that Parks and Recreation will be it's final season this year and there will only be 13 episodes. It won't be on till most likely after the new year just like what they did with 30 Rock.

I honestly don't have much else to watch this year.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I blind bought S1 of BBC's Ripper Street. It's very similar in style to the Sherlock Holmes movies (Downey/Law). Reviews said that it has more historical accuracies than most period shows, so that's a plus. However, plot-wise, so far it's just alright. The pilot episode was very good, but the subsequent couple episodes I watched were a little less interesting. I'm not a big fan of crime-solving procedural dramas, but I'll finish the first season and see where it stands at that point.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've been catching up on recorded episodes of Manhattan and have one left to get current.
Set against the backdrop of the greatest clandestine race against time in the history of science with the mission to build the world's first atomic bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico.
Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 5.52.57 AM.png

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I never watched the last few episodes of The Last Ship because interest had waned quite a lot with me. But I am getting into Manhattan (above) more every episode I watch.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I just got finished binge-watching the first two seasons of the Netflix-exclusive Orange Is The New Black.

I'll confess to be seeing more than a little skeptical at first. I'd watched the HBO prison drama OZ a couple of years ago, and was wary of the pitfalls of premium TV prison dramas.

The good news is that OITNB avoids pretty much every goofy mistake that plagued OZ. And in fact shows every promise of developing into outstanding entertainment.

Initially focussing on the experience of pretty, white, upper-middle class Piper - by the end of season 2 the show has developed a credible universe to the point that Piper is but one of an ensemble of fascinating and compelling characters.

One of the many things that bugged me about OZ were the ridiculous, utterly unbelievable, plot arcs. (In one storyline am inmate kills another, and apparently is tried and executed for the crime within the space of a single episode.)

While OITNB certainly takes a few liberties from the brutal truths of prison life, it overall seems far more realistic in its portrayal of life in Americas penal archipelago.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Checking out Outlander, The Knick, Hell on Wheels, Peaky Blinders, Masters of Sex, and of course the two geek shows: Halt and Catch Fire and Silicon Valley.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Star Trek Next Generation is on Netflix! I need to see if the digital quality of this presentation is better that the complete set on DVD that I own. On a big screen the DVDs have horrid quality. It has been released in BluRay but I don't feel like paying several hundred dollars for the set.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Star Trek Next Generation is on Netflix! I need to see if the digital quality of this presentation is better that the complete set on DVD that I own. On a big screen the DVDs have horrid quality. It has been released in BluRay but I don't feel like paying several hundred dollars for the set.

I watched the whole series on Netflix late last year and it wasn't HD quality.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
American Experience: Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid- fantastic PBS documentary about these two famous outlaws especially if you are a fan of the 1969 movie of the same name. Viewed on Netflix.

butch-cassidy-and-the-wild-bunch2.jpg

Interesting notes- The Pinkerton Detective Agency had more employees and paid informants than the US Army.

After their famous train robbery of the Union Pacific, members of the gang were tracked by Pinkertons by virtue of where associated serial numbers of stolen bills appeared at banks.

The gang received support from the local populace, I assume because of the resentment common folks had for large corporations and banks. The same sentiment was portrayed in Bonnie and Clyde.

They initially fled to Argentina to go straight, but when discovered by the Pinkertons and threatened with arrest, they end up fleeing to Bolivia and you probably think you know the rest, but there is a surprise element that would not do for the movie. :)

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
American Experience: Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid- fantastic PBS documentary about these two famous outlaws especially if you are a fan of the 1969 movie of the same name. Viewed on Netflix.

I'll second this. Excellent, and engaging. Documentary filmmaking at its best.

What I found most fascinating was the way the Hollywood version flirted with the real history. There really was a Katherine Ross-like girlfriend; and they really did blow up a train car, scattering banknotes over the prairie. Butch and Sundance's last stand wasn't quite the way it was in the movie - but sad and brave all the same.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Almost finished with season one of Entourage. A true HBO classic. Funny, very touching, and perhaps a dash too sexist. It was a contrast to SATC at the time. Now one can see the female counterpart in Dunham's show Girls.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you like Damian Lewis and wonder what he did before Homeland, I'd like to offer up a treat Life, a 2007-2009 NBC crime drama available on Netflix. Only 2 seasons though. Why was it cancelled? No clue, I did not know it existed until my wife found it. Maybe the title was not edgy enough for a crime drama.

The series includes several appearances by Garrett Dillahunt, one of my favorite character actors who appeared in Deadwood as two different characters. :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If you like Damian Lewis and wonder what he did before Homeland, I'd like to offer up a treat Life, a 2007-2009 NBC crime drama available on Netflix. Only 2 seasons though. Why was it cancelled? No clue, I did not know it existed until my wife found it. Maybe the title was not edgy enough for a crime drama.

The series includes several appearances by Garrett Dillahunt, one of my favorite character actors who appeared in Deadwood as two different characters. :)

Don't forget his portrayal of Major Winters in Band of Brothers. He was great in that too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.