Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After announcing his departure from AnandTech, veteran technology journalist Anand Lal Shimpi will join Apple in an undisclosed role, reports Re/code. A representative for Apple confirmed that Shimpi would be joining the company, but also declined to provide any further details.

anand_shimpi.jpg
Image credit: Anandtech​
Shimpi launched AnandTech in 1997 and established the website's reputation around in-depth analysis and reviews on a number of topics from the world of technology, including posts on Apple's line of desktops, notebooks, iPhones, iPads, iPods, and accessories.

In his farewell post on AnandTech published yesterday, Shimpi stated that he "won't stay idle forever" and added that there are "a bunch of challenges out there."

Article Link: Apple Hires Longtime Technology Journalist Anand Lal Shimpi

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
WTF NICE!!!!

I was so sorry to hear that he is leaving Anandtech, but this is even better!

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Same here,, was bummed reading that he's leaving the site..but this is good news to me!!

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Haha, wow, that's unexpected. Read his post yesterday, over on Anandtech, and now this! Crazy.

Last edited:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
as the other poster said - i bet he was brought onto the payroll to shut him up lol

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
But.... I thought we were only gonna hire women because we need to be more diverse and stuff...???? What of our diversity Apple? WHAT OF OUR DIVERSITYYYYYYYY?!?!?! :eek:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I've always enjoyed his breakdowns of Apple's SoC especially after the debut of the A6 when Apple began customizing the CPU vs using a standard ARM. Even if I didn't even understand 90% of the stuff he said. He would explain what they meant.

Wonder if they would still be able to provide that excellent analysis or with Anand leaving for Apple we will see that excellent breakdowns end. :(

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
VERY shrewd move. Leo Laporte is always singing his praises, and Anand's reviews and articles are second to none.

Well done, Apple - well done, Anand :)

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
One of the smartest guys in tech. Phenomenal move by Apple. I was totally blown away by his recent podcast appearance on Vector with Rene Ritchie. For anyone doubting this hire, listen to him discuss 64 bit, Metal and the state of chipsets here!

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Wow, that is... unexpected to say the least.

I'm going to miss his in-depth articles about Apple's hardware. They are actually one of the things I enjoy most about every new hardware release. Anand's articles taught me so much while I was studying electrical engineering and nanotechnology.

I think we can probably imagine what his role would be. I see him working closely with Bob Mansfield and Dan Riccio on Apple's hardware strategy. That would be perfect for him - he clearly understands the hardware and what the implications of each decision are, and I could see him as a potential future executive (if he's interested in that; maybe he prefers something more hands-on)

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
He has a real attention to detail and understands the industry incredibly well. He also has a deep respect for apple and was always the one reviewing their products. I'm sure he will be a great asset to Apple.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
as the other poster said - i bet he was brought onto the payroll to shut him up lol

While he is a respected tech journalist his reach to the general consumer public is minimal at best. If Apple had problems that buying him off would help with, buying him off wouldn't be nearly enough to work.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
I hope he helps make products more awesome :)

I'm not quite sure who we can look to for reviews though. He was the benchmark for honest, truthful knowledgeable reviews.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I'm going to miss his in-depth articles about Apple's hardware. They are actually one of the things I enjoy most about every new hardware release. Anand's articles taught me so much while I was studying electrical engineering and nanotechnology.

I think we can probably imagine what his role would be. I see him working closely with Bob Mansfield and Dan Riccio on Apple's hardware strategy. That would be perfect for him - he clearly understands the hardware and what the implications of each decision are, and I could see him as a potential future executive (if he's interested in that; maybe he prefers something more hands-on)
This is quite an encouraging thought.

Kudos to him!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Actually the guy leading Apple's chip technology is Johny Srouji. We haven't heard much about Mansfield lately so either he actually is retired or is doing special projects.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/johny-srouji.html

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
But.... I thought we were only gonna hire women because we need to be more diverse and stuff...???? What of our diversity Apple? WHAT OF OUR DIVERSITYYYYYYYY?!?!?! :eek:

Who said that? They said they need to hire more females but where did they say that employment is closed for all males.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I've always enjoyed his breakdowns of Apple's SoC especially after the debut of the A6 when Apple began customizing the CPU vs using a standard ARM. Even if I didn't even understand 90% of the stuff he said. He would explain what they meant.

Wonder if they would still be able to provide that excellent analysis or with Anand leaving for Apple we will see that excellent breakdowns end. :(

I'll just do my own analysis and post here.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
He says he will remain as an adviser to the tech site.
How's that gonna work if he is working for apple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.