Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RosieKarma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Essex, England
Hello,

Ive done a lot of searching on the internet to try and find a steering wheel that is compatible with Macs.
I personally have a Mac mini and would mainly want to use the steering wheel for eurotruck simulator.
I would prefer if it had a clutch and H-shifter, however, if there is not a compatible one with such extras then I shall deal without them.
Thanks for any help of advice,

Rosie

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hello,

Ive done a lot of searching on the internet to try and find a steering wheel that is compatible with Macs.
I personally have a Mac mini and would mainly want to use the steering wheel for eurotruck simulator.
I would prefer if it had a clutch and H-shifter, however, if there is not a compatible one with such extras then I shall deal without them.
Thanks for any help of advice,

Rosie

Nobody makes official support but there are a number of wheels for PC that just work on the Mac (no force feedback). We support a number of Logitech and other wheels (Thrustmaster is another major brand) in our games. There are also a few more expensive manufacturers if you want something a little more complex/realistic.

I would contact the developers of EuroTruck Simulator and ask them what they recommend as a good first step as they would know the most.

RosieKarma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Essex, England
Nobody makes official support but there are a number of wheels for PC that just work on the Mac (no force feedback). We support a number of Logitech and other wheels (Thrustmaster is another major brand) in our games. There are also a few more expensive manufacturers if you want something a little more complex/realistic.

I would contact the developers of EuroTruck Simulator and ask them what they recommend as a good first step as they would know the most.

Thank you, I was looking into getting the logitech G27 as I've heard its a good wheel, hopefully it will be compatible. I shall also contact the developers, thank you :)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Thank you, I was looking into getting the logitech G27 as I've heard its a good wheel, hopefully it will be compatible. I shall also contact the developers, thank you :)
Yep, the G27 is a fantastic wheel, and works on the Mac. As Edwin said, no wheels are supported officially on the Mac, but you can install the old Logitech FF kext to get the Force feedback effects in games like F1 2013 and GRID.

axy60

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
near equator
G27 on Mac

I tried the G27 in SCANIA truck driving sim.
Unfortunately most of the functions do not work; I have contacted SCANIA and it seems the Logitec fails to support OSX users on their G27 - I would be willing to spend (even) more to get ahold of a working wheel, pedals, etc...

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
I tried the G27 in SCANIA truck driving sim.
Unfortunately most of the functions do not work; I have contacted SCANIA and it seems the Logitec fails to support OSX users on their G27 - I would be willing to spend (even) more to get ahold of a working wheel, pedals, etc...
I have no idea about Scania Truck Driving sim, but the G27 works very well in OS X on every simulator I've tried.
These are the facts:
1) there is no official support for any wheels now in OS X
2) the G27 works with almost all functions working except force feedback out of the box. The gear shifter and Dpad work fine. The only thing you miss out on, is that the 2 banks of 3 buttons on the main wheel act as 2 banks of one button. To resolve the force feedback issue, all you need to do is install the old Logitech FF kext which is easily obtainable by a simple search.
3) you can have all the functionality of the G27 if you use the Feral utility called Free the Wheel. The only problem with that is that you cannot get force feedback to work.
So, essentially have have to choose 2) or 3) above. Personally, I chose 2) as driving without FF is a non-starter for me.

I have no idea about Scania Truck Driving sim, but the G27 works very well in OS X on every simulator I've tried.
These are the facts:
2) the G27 works with almost all functions working except force feedback out of the box. The gear shifter and Dpad work fine. The only thing you miss out on, is that the 2 banks of 3 buttons on the main wheel act as 2 banks of one button. To resolve the force feedback issue, all you need to do is install the old Logitech FF kext which is easily obtainable by a simple search.
3) you can have all the functionality of the G27 if you use the Feral utility called Free the Wheel. The only problem with that is that you cannot get force feedback to work.
So, essentially have have to choose 2) or 3) above. Personally, I chose 2) as driving without FF is a non-starter for me.

I went with
(4) Gaming PC.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
I get this when trying to load it on 10.10.2. :confused: I got the kext from a 10.6.8 install I have. kext dev mode enabled as well

LogitechForceFeedback:

Version: 1.0.3
Bundle ID: com.logitech.driver.LogitechForceFeedback
Loaded: No
Get Info String: Force Feedback Driver version 4.60.326, © 2002-2006 Logitech. All Rights Reserved.
Obtained from: Not Signed
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/LogitechForceFeedback.kext
Kext Version: 1.0.3
Loadable: No
Signature Validation Errors: Not Signed
Dependencies: Satisfied
Signed by: Not Signed

lsaurah007

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
Hi, i have the same problem, I'm looking for a steering wheel of macbook air but can't find any. Which one would you recommend?

Beamerboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Mudgee, Australia
LogitechForceFeedback:

Version: 1.0.3
Bundle ID: com.logitech.driver.LogitechForceFeedback
Loaded: No
Get Info String: Force Feedback Driver version 4.60.326, © 2002-2006 Logitech. All Rights Reserved.
Obtained from: Not Signed
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/LogitechForceFeedback.kext
Kext Version: 1.0.3
Anyone found out yet if this kext is functional under El Capitan release? Willing to hear of ideas for getting it signed or otherwise enabling Force Feedback under OS X without staying at Yosemite or earlier versions.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Anyone found out yet if this kext is functional under El Capitan release? Willing to hear of ideas for getting it signed or otherwise enabling Force Feedback under OS X without staying at Yosemite or earlier versions.
Yep, works fine on El Capitan.

Reactions: Beamerboy

Tractor

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2015
Yep, works fine on El Capitan.

I'm running 10.10.5, is the logitech G27 compatible with that version?
I want to play Farming Simulator 15 with it.

And is the logitech driving force GT also compatible?

Last edited:

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
All I can say is that my G27 and joystick worked perfectly well with all versions of OS X up to the most recent build of El Cap.
I can't say about the Driving Force GT as I have never tried it.

alfredmadere

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2015
These are the facts:

i don't understand, is the FF kext a entire wheel? i don't understand what you mean install it.. do i then not install the G27? can you please explain one more time for me?
thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.