Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Elgato has announced its brand-new line of "Eve" connected home sensors at this year's IFA 2014 trade show in Berlin, featuring full integration with Apple's HomeKit home automation platform once iOS 8 launches.

elgato_eve_line1-800x635.png
Elgato's line of "Eve" smart home sensors​
The Eve brand features Bluetooth accessories that monitor air quality, smoke, humidity, air pressure, energy, and water consumption, with all information syncing back to an iOS app. From the app, users can see an overview of the different aspects in their home along with suggestions and tips to better improve the environment.

elgato_avea_2.jpg
Elgato's $50 "Avea" smart lightbulb​
The company also announced its own $50 Avea smart lightbulb, which allows for custom profiles, colors and alarms through an iOS app. Notably, the Avea does not require a hub like the Philips line of Hue smart bulbs, and can utilize multiple bulbs to coordinate lighting patterns.

elgato_eve_app2-800x571.png
Elgato's iOS app for its line of "Eve" smart home sensors​
Elgato's Eve line of products are among the first to publicly support HomeKit, which was first announced at WWDC this past June. The platform allows home automation devices and their apps to work with Apple's first-party services like Siri and stock iOS apps using a single, secure protocol. A report from earlier this year claimed that Apple was developing its own smart home products to work with HomeKit for a release in the near future. Apple may also look to feature HomeKit integration in its highly-rumored iWatch wearable device, which is said to "make good use" of HomeKit.

Article Link: Elgato Unveils 'Eve' HomeKit Supported Smart Home Sensors, Hub-Less Smart Bulb

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
So the lightbulb doesn't use a HUB.

Im away and I'm using timers and remoting in from my iPhone. The wifi in my house goes down.

How do my lights continue to work?

with phillips HUE the timers are in the hub so even if I can't remote in via iPhone or my wifi or internet goes down it still looks like I'm home. My home is protected. HUE continues to work.

Last edited:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Looking at their website the bulb looks like a poor mans HUE. It seems set up to fail if their is no internet connection. That is if it actually works away from home? being able to switch lights on/off and/or use timers is an amazing feature of HUE

plus does the above bulb in the article use geo fencing? it really looks a rip off at £39 a bulb for very limited functionality.

The video clip on their site is a 7 second clip of a bulb fading up/down. Im not impressed at all. £40 quid a bulb . **** no way.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I tough that the point of HomeKit were that we did not need all this extra apps?
The purpose of HomeKit:
Apple Inc. said:
HomeKit is a framework in iOS 8 for communicating with and controlling connected accessories in a user’s home. Apps can enable users to discover HomeKit accessories in their home and configure them, or you can create actions to control those devices. Users can group actions together and trigger them using Siri.

Source: https://developer.apple.com/homekit/

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
YES! My 3 month old daughter is called Eve.
This may grant this range of products extra "wife approval points".

Or, more realistically only -4999 points rather than -5000.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
You have a different idea of "poor" from me then - $50!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

mean poor in functionality and cost comparison. It has less functionality and cost £10 less per bulb - poor mans version. Same old tale of man tries to save money, buys cheap, buys twice due to disappointment.

Wirbowsky

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Belgium
So you install that and you get feedback about the air quality... what do you then about it? Except maybe writing to your local authorities about it.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I certainly hope these products fare better than the Eye TV tuner I purchased a couple years ago that died after only a few months with no help from Elgato.

willyx

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
Can't wait for hackers to take control of every house. Appliances and lights randomly turning on and causing huge electricity bills, doors and windows opening at theft's will, alarms alerting the cops for nothing, smoke detectors bringing firemen to extinguish non existent fires... It's going to be fun.:D

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
So you install that and you get feedback about the air quality... what do you then about it? Except maybe writing to your local authorities about it.

Agreed - my Withings scale has it. I think I looked at it twice since I bought it 15 odd months ago...

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
So the lightbulb doesn't use a HUB.

Im away and I'm using timers and remoting in from my iPhone. The wifi in my house goes down.

How do my lights continue to work?

with phillips HUE the timers are in the hub so even if I can't remote in via iPhone or my wifi or internet goes down it still looks like I'm home. My home is protected. HUE continues to work.

Couldn't the bulb have an internal memory so it at least remembers its last settings without having to be controlled by wifi or hub?

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
No thank you.

This company has a terrible reputation. Such as selling Thunderbolt hard drives with ridiculously old hard drives inside.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Couldn't the bulb have an internal memory so it at least remembers its last settings without having to be controlled by wifi or hub?

That's what I want from these kind of bulbs more than anything. A 'set & forget' setup so I can carefully set a perfectly crafted colour scheme which can be remembered by the system, and the lights can be turned on and off at the wall switch, so that I don't have to instruct my 84 year old mother how to use an iDevice when she needs to visit the bathroom.

Suspended
Jun 11, 2010
I welcome more competition for lightbulbs, the philips ones are expensive as you need to buy the hub starter pack. The Eve bulbs are bluetooth which quite good to me and at a better price point, although the bulbs are less lumens.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I welcome more competition for lightbulbs, the philips ones are expensive as you need to buy the hub starter pack. The Eve bulbs are bluetooth which quite good to me and at a better price point, although the bulbs are less lumens.

The hub is only £30, bulbs are £50 each bought separately, you get 3 bulbs in the pack = £150 , but pack costs £180 cause you need the bridge.

I thought like you but buying and understanding how it works better than the competition especially if you loose internet makes it better.

The EVE bulbs are deceptive and are not the same function wise, they try to appear to be but they are not. See my previous posts.

yea I know I said hub is only £30, sure it could be cheaper but once you buy its soon forgotten unless your starving in which case you shouldn't buy in the first place (no offence meant) and these EVE bulbs are not in the same league. For only a fraction more you get a way better system with HUE.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
That's what I want from these kind of bulbs more than anything. A 'set & forget' setup so I can carefully set a perfectly crafted colour scheme which can be remembered by the system, and the lights can be turned on and off at the wall switch, so that I don't have to instruct my 84 year old mother how to use an iDevice when she needs to visit the bathroom.

Buy HUE tap and set the bathroom visit to the button she chooses/finds best :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.